Obese, low metabolism - do you still eat back the exercise c

Options
2»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes I would eat back all, sometimes I would eat back half, some times i would be really hungry and realize that I hadn't eaten even half in a day or two and give in (using healthy options) and just eat the crap out of my day.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says to eat back your cals, but I usually don't eat back more than half of them. I'm set at 1230 net a day--I always eat at LEAST 1230 a day, but my thought process is that just because I work out, that doesn't mean I get to gorge myself later.

This is a very controversial topic, and I honestly DON'T think there's an absolute right answer on this. I've lost 15-20 lbs (some before mfp) NOT eating back my calories. However, every 3-4 day, I do eat back ALL of them, to shake up my metabolism a bit.

I think your idea sounds pretty good....

agreed :) no right or wrong answer really.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to exercise patience. Stick to the process. The body can often resist change. Two weeks is not a big deal. Stick with it. We all want quick results. Relax and look at this as how you are going to approach the rest of your life. You'll get there.
  • boisevore
    boisevore Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Personally I have a better experience with more veggies (green) than piling on the protein. Try a smoothie with a handful or two of spinach, and apple a banana and some ice.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would try not eating them back for a while and see how that works out. Maybe also try a new workout routine a couple of times a week.
  • amadapooky76
    Options
    bump!
  • CelticChick2011
    Options
    I checked out your diary to see if I could offer any suggestions. #1) processed food is going to be SUPER high is sodium. you don't have to be a "cook" to eat non-processed foods more. If it comes prepared for you to eat with all the salty-preservatives....you probably shouldn't be eating it if you want to lose weight. It's not just the calories, its HOW you're getting the calories! You can workout for hours a day and kill yourself and not lose a pound if what you're putting into your body isn't helping. Fresh fruit and veggies (heck buy the frozen steam in the bag veggies!) and lean meats is the way to go! Muscle Milk...altho it says "high protein" isnt the best way to GET protein.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    My husband just brought home the Muscle Milk on Saturday...I had it Sunday and today. I'm not sure I want to stick with it given the artificial stuff in it. :o/ I like to drink a protein shake in the morning for breakfast because then I immediately go into my exercise routine and it fuels me very well for a few hours.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to cook three meals a day...heck, cooking one meal a day is sometimes difficult when I'm not home all day. Not to mention, I HATE cooking. I see tons of people who eat way more processed foods than I do and are still losing weight and gaining muscle...so there has to be something else to it then simply eat veggies and fruit all day long for the rest of my life. ;o) I'm not interested in going on a restrictive diet...I am, however, interested in making better choices for food (which may not be perfect all of the time). I WILL enjoy pizza once a week...haha (although this past week, TWICE since in-laws came over yesterday and wanted pizza for dinner...I was good, only had one slice and a big ol' salad!). ;o)

It still doesn't make a whole heckuva lot of sense when you break the numbers down. I drink a ton of water so the little bit of extra sodium (sometimes up to 500 mg) I get should not be causing that big of a deal. There's something missing from the equation...keep the suggestions coming...we'll figure it out one way or the other.

P.S. Anyone know how long it takes to reverse a slow metabolism? Or undo adrenal fatigue? I recently got OFF of birth control (two weeks ago)...so I'm hoping that MAYBE that will help in the long run.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and last year when I got serious about weight loss I was very close to where you are now (I was 177lbs the first day I stepped into the gym).

Eating LESS may NOT be what your body needs. I was working out 6-7 days a week for 60 mins each day. I was consuming around 1700-1800 calories a day and wasn't losing hardly any weight. I was so frustrated I used to sit and cry. I started reading more articles and doing more research. Realized that I need far more calories than I originally thought I needed to lose weight and now to maintain.

I am currently 143-145lbs and am happily maintaining my weight while consuming 2200-2500 NET calories a day.

I know my metabolism was a hot wreck when I started from yo yo dieting, not eating for hours and hours and then binge eating for hours and hours, etc.

My metabolism is like a little fire now that I am eating enough. I eat every couple hours. My blood sugar is awesome and I haven't had the urge to binge eat since I started paying attention to my body.

If I were you, I would aim to get my daily calories as close to zero as possible. Do it for at least 10 days to 2 weeks and see what happens.