Morning Self Control to Evening Self Destruct

Options
I find that the mornings are the easiest for me to stay on track. Afternoons I find myself nibbling "just" a little'. By evening I'm usually in full blown "Eat The House" mode where I'll gorge for about an hour straight, then kinda have an after daze of "why did I do that". Knowing this, I also realize that evenings are when I tell myself I should be winding down & relaxing, but mentally I still feel "on". What's your hardest time of the day to stay on track for eating healthy?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The weekends in general. I blew it big time this past weekend, and most weekends, really. Social events kill me.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am totally an evening "lose control" person some nights. Mostly I can control myself, but depends on the mood and day.
    looking for some how to stay on track advice too.. :)
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I always start the day with a healthy breakfast and healthy lunch. Then in the afternoon it gets worse and by evening I usually pig out on a massive bar of chocolate after dinner. On these days I never fill in my diary as I can't bear to add it all up!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. That is why I try to save at least 800-1000 calories for my evening meal/snacks. If you plan for a bit of indulgence, I find it is far easier to keep it in check.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I always start the day with a healthy breakfast and healthy lunch. Then in the afternoon it gets worse and by evening I usually pig out on a massive bar of chocolate after dinner. On these days I never fill in my diary as I can't bear to add it all up!

Please log it. I promise you, the act of logging it everyday will help you get it under control.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you're losing control in the evenings, look at what's going on. Are you eating because you're bored? Are you eating because your day was stressful? Are you eating because you're tired? Could your calorie goal be too low? Are you getting enough protein?

I used to have a problem with nighttime eating, but then I a) raised my calorie goal, b) raised my protein goal, c) started making sure I went to bed at a decent hour so I wasn't tired by afternoon. I also started drinking a glass of water when I felt the urge to nosh coming on, because 9 times out of 10, I'm not actually HUNGRY after dinner, just thirsty.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think that is the story for many...many...of us. I find that it really helps if I have a higher protein, lower carb day. If I start on refined carbs--I am done for. Good luck! Hope today is awesome....for both of us :)
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Weekends are like that for me sometimes but I placed my weigh in day on Monday so that helps.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    I am the same way. That is why I try to save at least 800-1000 calories for my evening meal/snacks. If you plan for a bit of indulgence, I find it is far easier to keep it in check.

i do this too - although more for if I'm going out. i add in my "dinner" calories in the morning and usually put down more than i think i will eat so not only do i eat less during the day but it also means i have an idea of what i will be eating in the evening AND because i've put down more, if i want to indulge a little, i can.

sure, it doesn't always work, but everyone needs a cheat day!
  • gracygirl
    gracygirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    omg me too i cant stop all week in work in the mornings im grand id have fruit be really healthy and then evening dinner time and snacks in the evening toasted cheeses im so bad !!!!!!!
    Im moving at present so diet is a bit haywire at present and havent been loggin in i need motivation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    for me i think its out of boredom i snack so ill have to nip that in the bud.

back at college in three weeks so ill be a busy woman then and no more lattes :-(
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Completely agree!! I'm great in the morning and then come home from work I just de-stress/release and want to EAT! Many times I'm starving but sometimes I'm not hungry at all. I've tried eating a granola bar (Fiber 1 bar) and a large water as I'm leaving work.... and that definitely takes the edge off things and makes me much less likely to go nuts when I get home! Also, I try to divert myself doing something else like taking my dogs on a walk. =)
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    Weekends are like that for me sometimes but I placed my weigh in day on Monday so that helps.

does moving the weigh in to monday really help you stay on track over the weekends? i'm scared that if i do that i'll just keep showing weight gain
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    why not try knitting,reading or something so as your not idle, try chewing sugar free gum, if all fails go to bed,
    do log in, just because you haven't logged it, it still happend and you know it did, it might help to see it in black and white.
    good luck
  • ashleydeane
    ashleydeane Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    wow so good to know i am not alone! I don't feel so bad now
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Me too. Mainly it's boredom eating, I finally get to sit down and have some me time (usually on sofa), and i usually have plenty of calories left over (due to earlier work out and low cal day time meals). So I snack... I have a humongous sweet tooth,

Daytime if i'm at work I take my meals/sensible snacks with me, and stick to it, but at home later, I wear a trail to and from the kitchen :embarassed:

I would keep busy, but having already done a workout I don't have another in me! If my social life took me out more in the evenings i think that'd be even worse- more temptation.

So it's 8pm here now, I'll have a protein bar (I'm low on protein today) then brush my teeth to prevent further temptation!

Jen
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're losing control in the evenings, look at what's going on. Are you eating because you're bored? Are you eating because your day was stressful? Are you eating because you're tired? Could your calorie goal be too low? Are you getting enough protein?

I used to have a problem with nighttime eating, but then I a) raised my calorie goal, b) raised my protein goal, c) started making sure I went to bed at a decent hour so I wasn't tired by afternoon. I also started drinking a glass of water when I felt the urge to nosh coming on, because 9 times out of 10, I'm not actually HUNGRY after dinner, just thirsty.

thank you. :) I will have to ask myself these questions when it comes to that time when I'm "hungry" but may actually not be.
    simple but I never just did it.