Hedgerow Harvest

Options
Last week a bought a very small tub of blackberries at the supermarket - it cost 2 euros. Then at the weekend when I was doing a country walk near my house I found a great hedgerow with guess what........lots of gorgeous blackberries for free! So now when I want some I either walk or cycle there to collect them. Saving money and getting exercise at the same time....simples! Of course you need to make sure you know what you are picking, blackberries are obvious but some other berries may be poisonous so be careful and wash everything thoroughly beforehand....happy hunting. :happy:

Replies

• rawrkeia
    rawrkeia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Smart idea!
    We used to have a hedge of something on my mother's property, but I can't really remember what they even were.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Couldn't get any better then that! :)
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the country.

At least once a week, we came across someone on our property who was happily harvesting the free produce they found.
    Free apples from our apple trees, free berries from our berry patch, free corn from the far pasture, etc.
  • sylviablakely
    sylviablakely Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am not suggesting that anybody pinches it from a garden or anywhere thats private property. :noway:
    Obviously no "myfitnesspal" members would dream of doing anything like that.....would they? :flowerforyou:
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We had 30 acres of land, mostly wooded. I think most of those people were honestly surprised that the trees, far pasture, and berry patches actually belonged to somebody. I think we all have a tendency to assume that if there's not a lawn or fence, then it must be public property.

I kid you not ... one time a lady in our berry patch told me "I was here first. Go find your own berries."
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    We had 30 acres of land, mostly wooded. I think most of those people were honestly surprised that the trees, far pasture, and berry patches actually belonged to somebody. I think we all have a tendency to assume that if there's not a lawn or fence, then it must be public property.

I kid you not ... one time a lady in our berry patch told me "I was here first. Go find your own berries."

Wow.............that is a hoot.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Last week a bought a very small tub of blackberries at the supermarket - it cost 2 euros. Then at the weekend when I was doing a country walk near my house I found a great hedgerow with guess what........lots of gorgeous blackberries for free! So now when I want some I either walk or cycle there to collect them. Saving money and getting exercise at the same time....simples! Of course you need to make sure you know what you are picking, blackberries are obvious but some other berries may be poisonous so be careful and wash everything thoroughly beforehand....happy hunting. :happy:

Not only did you get exercise and saved money - those wild grown berries have more nutrient value than the ones that are purchased in the store and lose nutrient value while being shipped.