Trying to break a PLATEAU!!!!

Options
I've been stuck at the same weight for the last few weeks and I think its because my body has gotten use to my eating habits and/or exercise routine. I workout (45 minutes elliptical/treadmill or walk 2 miles at the park) at least 4 days a week. Looking for suggestions.........HELP!!

Replies

• PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just be patient. I"ve hit about 6 plateaus in my journey.
  • techmom215
    Options
    I feel you. I was stuck at 170lbs for a YEAR before I starting using myfitnesspal. My only advice is to measure yourself, make sure you're staying under cals/fat and maybe only doing starchy carbs 2x a day and not for dinner.

It SO hard to get over the hump so I feel you on that. But keep it up.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Switch it up. Try a different work out. Drinking more water, or just watching your calories for a couple of days.
  • LuckieSC
    LuckieSC Posts: 31
    Options
    Yes switch it up; maybe instead of doing the treadmill for 45 mins; walk or jog for that time. You have to trick your body because if not it will get use to it. Are you changing the tension? Maybe increase the tension for a shorter period of time or do other cardio workouts. Such as swimming, basketball and etc.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You are getting great advice....measuring is a great thing to do (it keeps you motivated when you don't see the #'s moving), plenty of water, and switching up some workouts (try some exercise dvds). You will get through this just don't give up =)
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem UGH.. its sooooo frustrating.. I am going to switch up my exercise and routines and see if that will break the wall... good luck on your journey :)
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    switch it up! change your exercise and the time of day you do it. Also... it sounds crazy.... but the best way to beak through a plateau... is bump up your calories. Our bodies get used to certain things... and we have to make sure we are always changing things up. While the nice weather is still here, grab a friend and go play tennis... or go for a bike ride, or something you haven't done. You will be surprised and HAPPY with the results!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Another vote for switching it up. Do sprints, try the step machine or treadmill on an incline (just don't incline so much that you have to hold on to the machine), or maybe the bike .

Also, check your sodium intake (make sure you set it to show in your food diary). I found I was getting a lot more and after making an effort to cut that back, I can feel a difference.

Either way..stick with it and try not to lose motivation!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest dumping your cardio 1 or 2 days a week and do strength training instead. That along with bumping up my protein really helped me and I was plateaued for 6 MONTHS :) Good luck to you!