giving up alcohol?

Options
2»

Replies

• Michellerw1
    Options
    I used to drink a glass or two of wine every night but not I only drink on weekends or special ocassions. I feel like it has helped if only that I feel less bloated. I also cut it out totally for the whole month of January. This helped to get me back on track, and after a month off the effects of one glass of wine or beer were more apparant (read, I got a buzz) so I found myself drinking less.
  • Amandajean1105
    Amandajean1105 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've also cut back - CONSIDERABLY. We will see how it goes. I own a bar and am always entertaining people as well, so it has been somewhat difficult for me. But I decided if I cut back during the week (did not drink for 5 days in a row last week) and try to go easy on the weekends, it can't be anything but better for me then what I was doing.

A very good friend of mine was using MFP while pregnant, and granted she was still working out, quit drinking for that duration and she claims that had a enormous impact on her weight loss.

Good Luck to everyone!
  • blondechic213
    Options
    It hasn't made a difference in my diet or my ability to lose weight. If anything, I try to find alternatives to the high calorie drinks. My favorite is a Pina Colada and I found a recipe in the recipe message boards that is amazing. Here is it if you're interested. Serves: 3

Ingredients:
    1½ cup light vanilla yogurt
    3 tbsp. shredded coconut
    1 cup pineapple chunks
    1½ cup milk
    3oz. Malibu rum

Blend until smooth. Enjoy!

Calories: 223
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I gave it up almost 3 months ago now, I am down 10lbs but I'm also exercising more and watching my calories more closely. Its all about calories at the end of the day. Its nice to never be hung over and miss working out because of feeling like crap but you have to have good reasons because its hard.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm not a massive drinker, I'd have a glass or 2 of wine every other week or something and have a bit more than that on a night out with friends.
    Then I went to an event which I had been working towards as a motivational goal. Lots of alcohol and really celebrating. My stomach didn't enjoy the night as much as I did and lets say it paid me another visit...
    Since then I've only had 2 glasses of wine on 2 different occasions and I don't miss the alcohol at all, even on nights out. Maybe I needed an event like that to make me realise that it was rubbish I was putting in and my body will probably reject it again.

I'm not saying you should drink so much that you are ill and then regret it afterwards, but that my little story shows that your body might not accept the booze after a while and it could be for the better - it all depends on your body and your habits.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think if you only drink once a month or so like I do, it won't make much of a difference. If you get drunk every weekend, it probably will. I am currently on a medication that can be risky in connection with alcohol so I currently don't drink (though a glass of champagne or so is okay every once in a while so when there is a social occasion I wouldn't say no).
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up alcohol while trying to lose weight and I am still losing weight. I just drink smarter and record all of my calories. On of my MFP friends has chocolate every day, I have a cocktail :) So for me, I don't see the difference in choosing food calories over alcohol calories as long as you count them. It's just a choice. I find living my life while trying to lose weight as close to "normal" as possible makes more sense than giving up things I will want after I reach my goal. That's the beauty of MFP : ) Good luck!

Agree 100% with this!
  • natmerritt
    Options
    I don't think you have to give it up entirely--just cut back some. I go to happy hour at least twice a week and usually have a glass of wine, a light beer or a couple of cocktails on Friday or Saturday night.

Also, I started making 'smarter' choices with my drinks:

Instead of 2 frozen ritas with beef quesadillas, I'll have 2 Corona lights or 'Skinny' ritas and a quesadilla with a low-carb tortilla, spinach, grilled shrimp and request that they use half the cheese...

Instead of rum & coke, I'll have a Malibu & diet coke with lime...(all the sweetness and around 60ish calories per cocktail).

A glass of red or white wine with friends to accompany a nice dinner on the weekend allows you the flexibility to be 'social' without all the scrutiny & fuss...

Also, some restaurants are really getting into the lower-calorie cocktail. Kona grill has a delicious, refreshing drink called a 'citrus flip' for 34(ish?) calories per drink. Enjoy!