Fell off the Wagon...

So I have pretty much fell off the wagon. I have been still working out at least 4 days a week and not logging it but have not been eating right. I know it sounds like I am whining but it is extremely tough with 3 LITTLE kids (4,2, and 9 months) Sometimes I just want it to be easy. PLUS my boyfriend well he hates eating healthy... I feel like I work super hard to make this healthy meal for no one to eat it so I started failing. I have been beyond stressed out school just started and I am sad I can't eat fun things anymore like ice cream.... which I normally don't even care for but I feel like since I have limited my self to healthy foods I am wanting all the things I shouldn't eat. And I normally LOVE to cook and BAKE and well baking healthy anything is not so easy... If anyone has any helpful hints or anything encouraging pass them my way! I made it to do my first goal 175 from originally 220 and I got happy... Clothes were fitting better but I am remembering now this is not where I want to be I have 30 more to go and I really want to make it there but I don't know how to stay focused! And how do I keep stress from interfering with my weightloss goal? Thank you guys for letting me vent!

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    I agree it's hard sometimes but you have to stick to your guns and go through with it. Remember, "a year from now you will wish you had started today". There are days when I see my ticker and I still have 40lbs+ to go and it seems like an eternity to get there but I don't want to be fat anymore and I don't want to start dieting yet again a year from now! You can do this!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 904 Member
    Look how far you've come, and you don't want to go backwards. It's tough with little ones, and not getting that added support from your partner. Maybe you should put YOU first!!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    It is hard... don't forget you don't have to deny yourself everything completely though... if you want a bit of ice cream you could have some, but just only have one or two scoops, and work it into you calorie goal.

You can try baking with low fat/ sugar ingredients... you can make cakes with a sugar substitute and low fat margarine rather than butter, they're not as nice as the full fat ones but they can be pretty yummy and low on calories!

Well done on your loss so far anyway! :D
  • actaylor81
    actaylor81 Posts: 1 Member
    Just stay focused on you and the kids. Teaching them good food and eating habits will be a gift that they will keep for life. Your boyfriend is capable of feeding himself if he does not like what you prepare. And stress is a great motivator to work out. It is the quickest way for you to produce endorphins and dopamine to help your body relax and sleep better. Many people find running as great stress relief. Just find what works for you and tell yourself you just need to do it for 20 minutes and once you start you may want to add 20 more mins, but the main thing is to be proud of yourself for accomplishing the first 20 minutes. Best of luck.
  • Addy0315
    Addy0315 Posts: 48
    Thank you everyone!! I appreciate the support! It doesn't help that he also works 12 hour shifts ALLLLL the time and somestimes days and sometimes nights so it feels like single mommy hood with 3 little ones but your right! I do NOT want to go back and I don't want to look back a year from now wishing I would have started before! I want to make it there!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Thank you for sharing this. I, too, have fallen off the wagon and landed in that same boat:-) I just need to get back in my zone. I had a blizzard of things happen a.) work stress b.) financial stress c.) oldest started kindegarten d.) feeling my 10 lb buzz e.)pms f,) tired - UGH! I know I have a million excuses!

Good luck, Addy0315 - Let's start this week off right! My Monday has started off well and I'm back on MFP which keeps me in check. We have CONTROL and we know what to do - Move More, Eat less, and Drink lots of Water (that is my key).

You can do this. I will too!
  • kfoust81
    kfoust81 Posts: 19
    I started right at 222 and and now at 171 I also want to lose another 30 pounds so we have the same goals in mind. My advise to you is don't beat yourself up for a slip up now and again, as a matter of fact let it happen. Don't deprive yourself of the food you love, just have them on rare occasions. I eat healthy most of the time but I also allow myself pizza, chocolate, and some of the other food I love. Moderation is key. I also find that healthy versions of the food I love helps curb the cravings, for instance Lean Cuisine has a four cheese pizza that will curb my pizza craving in an instant. Also Fiber Plus has a Fudge caramel coconut bar that tastes just like the Somoa girl scout cookies. You have come a long way already...Congrats and good luck on the rest of your journey. You will succeed!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Ah, I fell off the wagon for a bit too. We went on vacation and I've been having a hard time getting back on track since then. I also have three kids age 7 and under and my husband works a lot so I understand a lot of your frustration! We're getting really busy right now too with back to school stuff/activities with my kids. I also love to cook and bake too. I had a little bit better day yesterday. I just need to stick with it.

When my husband is at work I try to stay as active as possible with the kids--even if I can't do something strenuous like running it's still better than nothing. I do workout videos at home too.

Good luck!
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    I suggest recording your measurements as well--the same day you weigh yourself. I was about to derail a bit when I weighed myself and the scale showed a gain. I was bummed because I knew I'd consumed too much of the wrong things... but I measured myself, which reflected all the work I'd put in--so I was still smaller than two weeks prior. That was enough to keep me encouraged, so the next day I did better. Keep logging in... lots of support here!!!
  • I can relate. I lost 65 lbs between October '10 and Feb '11 which was very tough and even though I wanted/needed to lose another 30 lbs, I took some time off. At first I was pretty stable but I've fallen off the wagon in the last couple of months and have gained back 15 lbs. I think it may be because I knew I was going to climb back on the wagon so I figured I'd just lose it again. Well the wagon has grown bigger and it's really hard to get up there again.

The first time out, I was really strict, eating very low calorie. It was drastic but it was the first thing that had ever worked for me. I'd like to lose it slowly but it seems so much harder to be "reasonable" about it because there is such a fine line between a calorie deficit and a calorie overage. I may just have to go back to drastic (though not as drastic as before) and buckle down.

The best thing that works for me is to pre-plan everything! I make a weekly menu that includes snacks and just stick to it. For exercise, I just try to walk 3 or 4 miles each day (though not all at once). For me, eating plays a much bigger roll than exercise when losing weight but getting outside each day raises my spirits so it keeps me energized.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Understand how hard it can be sometimes with 3 small children and not all the support that you need. I echo some of the things others have said.... you need to make yourself a priority. You CAN do this. You've come a long way already. Again... it's not a diet... it's a way of life. Eating healthy requires some changes on everyone's part. My kids balk at some food I cook (they are 6 and 2), but... they are starting to eat more healthy.... more fruits, veggies and healthy snacks. Hoping it will become second nature to them too. You can eat some of the "not so healthy" foods once in a while, but... keep them infrequent, as a special treat, and have them in moderation.

There are lots of healthy meals that you can plan ahead of time too, or.... change up old recipes to make them more healthy. It takes work, but... you CAN do it.

I know another challenge with 3 small children is fitting in time to exercise. Maybe try to take them on long walks or to the park... or.... go on a bike ride. Or.... try to fit in an exercise tape while they are napping.

We're here to support you.... YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Stay positive!!!
  • Addy0315
    Addy0315 Posts: 48
    Thank you everyone for the support and boost in the right direction! I think it is exactly what I needed! I did awesome yesterday and hoping to do the same today! This has been a long journey and I want to make it to the finish line and stay that way so I am going to baby step it there...
  • You're doing fine everybody falls off the wagon I did after only about 3 wks but I still managed to lose weight maybe not as much as I would have liked though.

Examine your regular foods in your diet make small changes like instead of real mayonaise buy the fat free mayo. I switched to canola oil for cooking and olive oil to add on pasta etc. I buy the lowest calorie spread for bread. Look for recipes on the internet for the same item you are eating except that is now no or low calorie eg brownies. I caught myself eating my son's leftover's but just beware of the calories some of those foods have eg mac and cheese. Look for salt and sugar alternatives if you want.

Good luck