Moving up from 5k to 10k

Options
Hey all you runners -- I just got invited to participate in a 10k race on October 29. I am currently comfortably running 5ks (around the neighborhood, on the treadmill, etc). Is 2 months a feasible time frame to move up to running a 10k race? (I would not be running to win!)

Replies

• mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but I think it is possible. there are training plans that are for 9 weeks so I am sure you can do it.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I think it is. I started the Bridge to 10K after C25K, which is about 2 months, but quit after a couple of weeks since it didn't seem to be working for me. Instead I just started adding mileage each week on my long run, now I'm up to 8. If you add 10% each week to your 3.1 you should be able to hit 6.2 in that time period. Good luck!!
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That gives you 8 weeks to train. I think it is easily doable. Add 10%- 15% to your distance every 2 weeks and that will get you there.
  • BronteLondon
    Options
    Hello

I never used to run until about July this year. As in, EVER. Then I started and I went to 5K quite quickly because I walk a lot so it was not too hard to get to (took 3 weeks or so). It took me less than a month to move to 10K which I just started this week.

As long as you listen to your body and remember to stretch, you should be fine. It is quite a buzz doing 10K, I have to say - I really enjoy it. Something seems to happen between 6-8K that kinda gives you an extra buzz and push!

I will say, though, that running on a treadmill versus running outside is very different - you will get the best guage of your skills if you run outside rather than on a machine. I can recommend "RunKeeper" as an iphone app to bring along with you it is really good.

Bronte
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it is! I have used similar timelines to go from 5k to 10k and from 10k to 1/2 marathon.
    My best suggestion is to increase your long run by 1/2 mile each week; that will actually put you at 6-6.5 miles a couple of weeks before the 10k. Not sure what your normal running schedule is, but I typically run around 3x/week. For training, my weekday runs would be shorter (2-4miles) and focus on tempo, interval, or speed drills, and then one longer run on the weekend.
    Best of luck!!
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think I can do it! And I will definitely do most of my running outdoors - definitely way different than on the treadmill.