Too young for spider/varicose veins??

Options
Something really bothering me lately has been the increased appearance of spider and varicose looking veins on my legs. I'm ONLY 30!! I understand that a lot of it is genetics and due to the years of being overweight, but now that I'm losing...they are getting worse!! I'm a bit nervous and slightly scared... :/ Maybe I will just have to put up with them as a harsh reminder of how overweight I was and how hard it is on the body.
But still, I'm wondering does anyone have any information or suggestions to share??

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Bump; I just turned 24 and I have them as well =(
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump so do I......
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    cocoa and shae butter! They're also really good for stretch marks
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions, really...sometimes they can be caused by wearing high heels, or standing all day every day, or crossing your legs. So modifying any of those things might help, if applicable. Also, wearing panty hose helps (though most people these days don't want to go there).
  • widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    I have not been overweight for an extremely long time, but I also had them when I was smaller. They are increasing now. I hate them. I only have spider veins and not vericose, but they are multiplying. Yikes!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am 19 and I have ONE spider vein... lol
  • Magic_Girl
    Magic_Girl Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm 19 and I have a few spider veins. I got it from my mom. My first aid teacher told us that saline injections remove spider veins. It would probably cost a lot of money.
  • oneinchrist
    Options
    You can't be too young for spider or varicose veins. They can be caused by a number of things from long standing, to crossing legs, to pregnancy, to high heels. They can also be hereditary. I was never overweight until I had children (my first child at 25), but I have had varicose veins since I was 17 even in great shape. My mom has them terribly and my sister as well, some people are just more prone to them. No creams or butters will help prevent or erase venous issues. Varicose veins are simply a vein whose oxygen supply has been diminished to the point that the vein basically strangles and dies off, causing the bluish appearance.

Most insurances will not cover treatment UNLESS it is causing you pain and discomfort. I have worked in nursing in my early 20's and at that time that I worked in the hospital, I wore support hose, not only did they prevent my varicose veins from progressing, but they gave me significantly more energy! They really help to increase your circulation and take the pressure off of your legs! They feel great! (Not so pretty, not sexy or impressive lol) But if you wear them during the periods that you have the most pressure on your legs, then your legs will look and feel that much better when you want them to look nice!

So, basically, other than invasive treatments (and some great but expensive laser therapies now available), support hose are the best solution. And of course again, no, you can't be too young (I am 27 and have varicose veins on the back of both legs and spider veins on the upper back thighs.)

:flowerforyou:
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have a few, one or two have been appearing on the backs of my legs every year since I was about 20!!! Yeah, it's very genetic, and I'm not sure whether or not there is anything that can be done. Supposedly not crossing your legs helps and elevating your legs with a pillow when you sleep. Believe me, I've done both of those things religiously since I was a teenager, but I'm still getting them...
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I never said it would treat them, but yes, it really does reduce the appearance, I've been using it daily since I got them and they look drastically better after uing the butters for a month or so. The butters don't effect the vein at all, but target the skin making your veins less noticible.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My mother found my first varicose vein when I was 10! Unfortunately, they run in the family. I had laser therapy about 5 years ago and have since been wearing support hose (not pretty, but effective and comfortable). Unfortunately, lotions and such won't make them disappear.
  • Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    Compression hose can help, particularly if your legs/ankles tend to swell (edema). The longest lasting ones are usually prescribed by a doctor and are considered durable medical equipement. They aren't cheap but it can go towards your deductible with most insurance.
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    You can't be too young for spider or varicose veins. They can be caused by a number of things from long standing, to crossing legs, to pregnancy, to high heels. They can also be hereditary. I was never overweight until I had children (my first child at 25), but I have had varicose veins since I was 17 even in great shape. My mom has them terribly and my sister as well, some people are just more prone to them. No creams or butters will help prevent or erase venous issues. Varicose veins are simply a vein whose oxygen supply has been diminished to the point that the vein basically strangles and dies off, causing the bluish appearance.

Most insurances will not cover treatment UNLESS it is causing you pain and discomfort. I have worked in nursing in my early 20's and at that time that I worked in the hospital, I wore support hose, not only did they prevent my varicose veins from progressing, but they gave me significantly more energy! They really help to increase your circulation and take the pressure off of your legs! They feel great! (Not so pretty, not sexy or impressive lol) But if you wear them during the periods that you have the most pressure on your legs, then your legs will look and feel that much better when you want them to look nice!

So, basically, other than invasive treatments (and some great but expensive laser therapies now available), support hose are the best solution. And of course again, no, you can't be too young (I am 27 and have varicose veins on the back of both legs and spider veins on the upper back thighs.)

:flowerforyou:
    Thank you! That actually makes A LOT of sense...I was a nurses aid for about 6 years, and up until the last 5 years most of my jobs have been mostly standing jobs. My sis in law is a nurse and has talked about support hose...maybe once the weather cools off a bit I will have to check them out! Thanks again for all your info! :)
  • OandE
    OandE Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Exactly,
    I have spider veins since my 20s (I'm 40). I haven't been big for long and never got to obese wight (as defined by BMI, no offense to anyone). But 2 large pregnancies didn't help (my first baby over 9lb).
    It is totally annoying especially in the summer. My legs looks like they are constantly bruised.
    Saline injections may help and they are expensive and not cover by insurance (checked with BCBS).
    If you have bulging veins, there is a surgical procedure that reduce them and it may be covered by insurance, as in my sister's case. Yes it is genetic.
  • jwerman
    Options
    My mother found my first varicose vein when I was 10! Unfortunately, they run in the family. I had laser therapy about 5 years ago and have since been wearing support hose (not pretty, but effective and comfortable). Unfortunately, lotions and such won't make them disappear.
    What was the laser therapy like? And did your insurance co. cover it?
  • jwerman
    Options
    Exactly,
    I have spider veins since my 20s (I'm 40). I haven't been big for long and never got to obese wight (as defined by BMI, no offense to anyone). But 2 large pregnancies didn't help (my first baby over 9lb).
    It is totally annoying especially in the summer. My legs looks like they are constantly bruised.
    Saline injections may help and they are expensive and not cover by insurance (checked with BCBS).
    If you have bulging veins, there is a surgical procedure that reduce them and it may be covered by insurance, as in my sister's case. Yes it is genetic.
    Thank you! I have a couple spider veins on my calves and I am always getting asked "what happened?" I think I will talk to my ins. Co.
  • jwerman
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I knew it was silly to think I may be the only one dealing with this...I will probably take my concerns to my doctor...really more concerned for health reasons than vanity.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Something really bothering me lately has been the increased appearance of spider and varicose looking veins on my legs. I'm ONLY 30!! I understand that a lot of it is genetics and due to the years of being overweight, but now that I'm losing...they are getting worse!! I'm a bit nervous and slightly scared... :/ Maybe I will just have to put up with them as a harsh reminder of how overweight I was and how hard it is on the body.
    But still, I'm wondering does anyone have any information or suggestions to share??

I spoke to my doctor when I started getting them in my late 20's (I'm 33 currently), on top of being unsightly some of mine also hurt. He said that it's genetic, and that the ones that bother me insurance should pay to treat. I've been debating getting them treated now or waiting until I have my other baby to have them addressed.

Edit: all of mine are in places where I did have a bruise, it seems that every time I bang my leg on something I get a new one . . . blech.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 and I think I may have a few and stretch marks from weight loss, mostly on my thighs.

I have started using cocoa butter which is a known for reducing stretchmarks and veins, apparently people use it during and after pregnancy and see results!
  • julzmamabear
    Options
    I got my first spider vein when I was 20 and pregnant with my daughter, my dad also has them...so I was doomed from the start..lol I also have a couple vericose veins that have popped up since then.
    I am considering getting the one spider vein on the back of my leg removed, it is painful. I thought that losing weight would help it, but if I hit my goal and it still hurts then I'm getting it removed.