Does an intense workout affect the scale the following day??

Options
So yesterday i my workout was intense, then i had a busy day following...my cals. were to low (only 1100) a usual day for me is anywhere between 1400-1800! my sodium was in range, Mondays are my usual "weigh in" days and the scal is up about 3lbs. Ok i realize not that big of a deal, but i know i didnt gain the 3 lbs. over the week! So would be harder then usual day have any effect? THANKS!!!

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    it might.

Intense workouts, beyond the norm, can cause extra muscle stress, which can cause muscles to temporarily hold extra water as part of the normal repair process.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% diet. Intense exercise will burn fat during recovery, but you're not necessarily going to see it on the scale immediately. Be patient and your hard work and healthy eating will pay off in weight loss and improved health. WTG!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Anytime I do an intense workout I weigh more the next day due to muscles retaining water to recover from the workout.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering the same thing!

I had a great weekend filled with exercise (ran 4 on Saturday and lifted + yoga on Sunday) and eating with in my limits (yet, eating enough of course) and the scale was up SIX pounds from Saturday morning. O.M.G.

I HATE the scale!!!

I'd love to hear what others say...
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I don't think so. It may be caused by water weight because we tend to drink more water when we workout.
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39
    Options
    agree 100% with tangal88. if you take a day or 2 off from the gym, you'll diuresis the extra water weight. following that kind of workout with little calories is hard on the body.
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The same morning as a long workout, after using the toilet but before hydrating, I'll see weight loss, sometimes dramatic weight loss. Usually I'm up the next day, but down again 2-3 days later.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The answer is YES!!! I am regularly UP by 2-5 lbs the day after a tough hilly run. I know I didn't eat an extra 3500 calories overnight, and if my sodium is in range, then what is left? Stored water in the muscles for repair.

At this point on my weightless journey I do monitor my daily weight, but don't get too concerned by these fluctuations since I look better in the mirror and my clothes fit better. :smile:
  • jeffwaller3
    Options
    I do extreme workouts everyday for 30 minutes and I don't see any significant difference in scales. I might see difference after about a week