What did protien powder do for you??

Options
I know I can look up a ton of info about different protien powders and how each one is better for this reason or that, but what I'm looking for is what did it do for you???
What results did you see after you started using it (if any). I want to hear about your personal experience, not a quote from a study.

Replies

• spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    HI,

I used a whey protein when i started weight training and then used creatine to add a bit of mass, i must say after a couple of weeks i did notice more muscle and toning and after a little while a bit of extra fat loss, then injury stopped me. On the whole i would say use them to see good results for your training effort.

Good Luck

Scott

ps feel free to add me as a friend
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I use a protein powder that has whey in it. I use mine to help me meet my protein numbers daily, while keeping the fat down. Plus it helps "mend" the muscles since using weights tends to rip the muscles. I have noticed more of a shape in myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Started with protein powder back in the early 80's till present. I've put on 40lbs of muscle with it and used it to help me diet down for contests. Now I just use it to help supplement my protein requirements.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It has saved me much time and money. Cheap protein that doesn't need to be cooked and stores forever.
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this as I was looking for a protein (whey) powder this morning. I was looking for the cheap...unsweetened...low, low calorie count but not major overload on the protein. (about 15 grams of protein or thereabouts) Any suggestions?
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I use it to get my protein grams in. I use genisoy unflavored protein powder. It just tastes the best to me. I have tried whey proteins in my smoothies, but for some reason, I can't stand the taste :( If anyone has a suggestion for an unflavored whey protein powder that doesn't have a 'sour milk' taste to it, please let me know. Usually, my smoothies consist of 1/2 cup frozen fruit, a cup of reduced sugar orange juice (trop 50 usually), 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed, and protein powder. Sometimes I'll add some greek yogurt to it, but not always.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    increased my protein?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I use it in my recovery when I go to the gym. I need the increase in protein right after I workout - so I drink it for that reason. Occasionally, I will have it for a "snack" if I am low on protein, low on calories and in a hurry. But, usually I simply use it post workout.

I find it is the one thing that helps with how I feel after I workout. I'm always very jittery and such after I workout - having protein right after helps with it.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I was looking to add more muscle, so this is what I was hoping to hear!!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    It helped me to lose some weight... in my wallet.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's really saved my afternoons. I used to snack all afternoon totally around 500 calories sometimes including garbage like chips! Now I have my protein shake for 250 (including milk) and I'm full all afternoon.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lately, it's been helping me meet my calorie requirements. Now that I am on a bulk, I would probably have difficulty meeting my daily calorie needs without a protein shake. And people who think protein in the form of whey powder is more expensive than other forms of protein really need to re-evaluate their math.
  • surreysocialite
    surreysocialite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm new to protein supplements. I found that it regulated my blood sugar level. I've been taking it for two months.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Hydro Whey in Turbo Chocolate. I cannot begin to describe the changes I've seen in my muscle "tone." Obviously, you have to exercise and eat right, but this stuff just made everything "tighter." If I run my hands over my legs and arms, I can feel such a difference -- it's hard, right muscle rather than fat. I was doing everything I'm doing now consistently before I started drinking it, but this stuff really made a difference.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Hydro Whey in Turbo Chocolate. I cannot begin to describe the changes I've seen in my muscle "tone." Obviously, you have to exercise and eat right, but this stuff just made everything "tighter." If I run my hands over my legs and arms, I can feel such a difference -- it's hard, right muscle rather than fat. I was doing everything I'm doing now consistently before I started drinking it, but this stuff really made a difference.

How does it taste? Is this something I will have to train my gag reflexes for?
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm interested in this as I was looking for a protein (whey) powder this morning. I was looking for the cheap...unsweetened...low, low calorie count but not major overload on the protein. (about 15 grams of protein or thereabouts) Any suggestions?

Muscle Milk makes a variety called "Complete Whey Protein" for post workout that has around 16 grams of protein, 90 calories, and 3 carbs per scoop. I've seen it in chocolate and Vanilla so far - It's ok on it's own, but much better with a bit of stevia and a dash of vanilla extract.
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking of adding protein powder to my diet, so I'm really interested to see what everyone says.
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options

Muscle Milk makes a variety called "Complete Whey Protein" for post workout that has around 16 grams of protein, 90 calories, and 3 carbs per scoop. I've seen it in chocolate and Vanilla so far - It's ok on it's own, but much better with a bit of stevia and a dash of vanilla extract.

I did some more checking and it seems this product is already sweetened with Sucralose (Slenda). Sorry!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options

How does it taste? Is this something I will have to train my gag reflexes for?

I think it's soooo good. I look forward to drinking it! But I've also heard others say they hate it. This is just the Turbo Chocolate, though. Optimum Nutrition has tons of flavors to try - cookies n cream, strawberry, vanilla (which I didn't like), etc. You're bound to find one you like. It also mixes up easily.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Options
    I think it's soooo good. I look forward to drinking it! But I've also heard others say they hate it. This is just the Turbo Chocolate, though. Optimum Nutrition has tons of flavors to try - cookies n cream, strawberry, vanilla (which I didn't like), etc. You're bound to find one you like. It also mixes up easily.

What do you mix it with? I looked on-line, and it said you could mix it with water, milk, juice etc. What did you find was the best 'mixer'? Do you know if they sell small sample sized versions to let people try it?