Jump Rope help

Jelleebean
Jelleebean Posts: 212
edited October 1 in Fitness and Exercise
what would be the best type of jump rope to buy? i've seen so many variations, that it's tripping me up.
weighted handles, non weighted, leather rope, nylon rope, rope rope? ack
if i'd known there'd be so many options, i just would have grabbed one from the toys at walmart.

Replies

• I bought mine at WalMart in the sports section. It is The Golds Gym 3-1. It has weighted handles but you can take the weights out.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Really, any one you want!
    Weighted handles are obviously to work your arms more whilst you do cardio.
    But otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Although I wouldn't suggest leather, because sometimes when you jump rope you catch the back of your legs and it can REALLY hurt when you skip fast. You get big red marks on the back of your legs :-(
  • bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    I have a golds gym jumprope from Walmart as well but I'm not sure if its weighted. It doesn't feel like it. I'm looking for a new one. I personally don't like it. I don't know if its from how its was packaged or what but the rope itself seems too light and swings lopsided. At some sports stores you can actually build your own.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Definitely avoid the ropes made of fabric or leather -- they will slow you down and frustrate you if you are new to (or getting back into) jump roping. I recently bought a speed rope on the advice of a friend and I love it. The top of the line are the Buddy Lee jump ropes but I can't rationalize buying one as they seem too pricey. After some research, I bought this one: http://www.buyjumpropes.net/Long_Handle_Freestyle_Jump_Rope_p/018 long handle freestyle jump.htm

If you do buy one from this company, definitely choose the USPS method for delivery (there is a default shipping option for UPS which is more expensive than the rope itself!)

Also, I bought the Buddy Lee Jump Rope training book from Amazon.com (I think you can also buy it at Walmart or Target). I love it as it lays out a variety of training programs and tells you how to do a wide variety of different jump rope steps.

Anyway, hope this helps!
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    The link I posted above doesn't work (the total address was cut off). Anyway, it is the Championship Long Handle Freestyle Jump Rope from Buyjumpropes.net. It's $8.95.

Hope this helps.
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Bump! I bought a Golds Gym rope at Walmart...I must admit I was going on the cheap side ($2.99). I love the swivel handles but the rope is too light especially since I haven't jumped rope in about 30 years! Next pay day I'm grabbing a heavier model. I think it will be the 3 in 1 rope, it had weight to it. I just may take it out of the box and try it right there in the store too!!
This discussion has been closed.