Runners - WWYD Re: Running Shoes

Options
First, some background. I am currently training for a marathon in October. When I first started running 1.5 years ago, I went to my local running store and got fitted with a support shoe. I have been using the same exact shoe model (I am on my 3rd pair now) ever since. I started the 3rd pair two weeks ago and used it for some shorter runs first and then did a 15-mile run in them two weeks ago. In the last two miles of that run, the muscles in my inner thigh on both legs, right above the knee, became real tight and painful. I did not give up and finished the run, but I would have to if it were a longer run. The muscles were sore for days after my run. A friend of mine suggested maybe my gait changed during an injury that sidelined me for almost 6 months earlier this year and that I should get re-fitted for shoes again. Fearing the same pain or worse on my 16-mile run, I went to my running store to get fitted again.

They put me in a pair of neutral running shoes first and after analyzing my gait, they said I was not really overpronating and that I should be fine with a neutral shoe, rather than the support shoes I have been wearing. They also said my pain was not due to shoes most likely because it did not happen on shorter runs and showed up only on the 13th mile. Because I have a new pair of shoes, I did not buy a new pair. But I have questions now.

1. Are neutral shoes a better choice in terms of allowing your natural gait, and hence maybe better for you?

2. They fitted me with Nike Pegasus shoes. They are in the 28th generation right now and sell for $100, I think. I found the 27th generation on sale for $59 online. Would you go ahead and buy them?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any insight you may have. I switched to my older pair for my 16-miler on Saturday, by the way (they still have maybe 100 miles to go on them), and did not have any pain or soreness.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike Pegasus running shoes. Right now, I am wearing the 26th generation because I didn't like how the 27th ones felt on my foot. I searched and searched until I found someone who was still selling the 26th ones. I love them. I have back issues (spinal fusion) and they are honestly the ONLY shoe I can wear and not have back, hip, etc pain.

If they feel good -wear them. If they don't, go to a different store and get fitted by someone else. I've had many different sales people try and tell me I need more stability and less cushion when I run - but, I know what feels good and I want the cushion.

I've had weird pains show up while running - usually it was because my shoes were worn out. As soon as I purchased new shoes - it went away.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the Pegasus. They are a good shoe & I've worn them in the past. There is no way I'd pay $100 for them though.
    SHop around or try on other neutral shoes and see how they feel.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Did you buy the first shoe from that store? If so, they should take them back with no issues. If you didn't, well, I hate to say it, but is it worth the pain and potential for injury to not spend the 100 bucks?
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Did you buy the first shoe from that store? If so, they should take them back with no issues. If you didn't, well, I hate to say it, but is it worth the pain and potential for injury to not spend the 100 bucks?

It is not about the money, believe me. I have spent thousands on PT with my injury, so I will not skimp on 100 bucks, if it will save me from injury. I was told the pain was NOT from the shoes, but the neutral shoes felt OK on my feet and I was wondering if they are a better choice in general and hence I should make the switch from support shoes.
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started running about 1 1/2 years ago as well. I have lost 50 pounds along the way, and gone from the couch to completing 4 half marathons. I always go to Road Runner Sports and get re-analyzed whenever I need new shoes. When I first started running and was heavier, they put me in a stability shoe, which was fine for a while, but I then began having plantar fascitis and shin splints, after months of running pain free. When it was time for my next pair of shoes, they analyzed me again and said that I needed a neutral shoe. They said that due to improved form and some weight loss, my gait had shifted some and the stability shoes were then too stiff for me. They put me in the Nike Pegasus 27 at that time (about a year ago), and I have been wearing Nike Pegasus ever since. Literally, as soon as I changed from the stability shoes to the Nike Pegasus, the plantar and the shin splints went away and I have not had a problem since. I just recently got a pair of the Nike Pegasus 28s. I have now gone through 3 pair of Nike Pegasus over the past year with no pain issues recurring, and I love them. I continue to get re-analyzed each time I get new shoes to insure that they are still appropriate for me, and will stick with them as long as they continue to work. That is just my experience, but I know from experience that the shoes can make all the difference. I hope you find what works for you. I believe that Road Runner online still has the 27s on discount clearance.