Snack "add-ons"

Hi all!

I'm looking to increase my calorie intake (trying to eat back more exercise calories). I'm hoping to do this by bulking up my snacks during the day rather than binging at night. I usually eat a lot of raw fruit and vegetables for my snacks to keep my sugar levels in balance during the day, so I'm basically looking for some ideas for add-ons that won't ruin that balance. I was thinking that hummus, peanut butter & maybe a couple almonds added with my veggies would be good - but need a bit more variety.

Any ideas on low sugar, lower cal things for me to eat with my veggies & fruit? Or any other snack ideas that will still keep my blood sugar levels in check?

Replies

• a new favorite for me is peeled cucumber with Hummus...I like the Athenos Roasted Red pepper flavor b/c I like the little kick!!!!....it's a great low cal snack...and fills you up....actually had it for dinner last night to stay within my calorie range.....good luck!
  • rice or corn crackers or try roasting 100g chickpeas with a little ground chilli and salt - a great, filling snack at about 83 calories.

i also love Muller Light Fat Free yogurts ranging from 80-91 calories - they're not too sweet, really smooth and come in loads of flavours.

pretzels or low-salt/fat crisp snacks could work too. maybe try Special K snack selection? (i don't really like them but lots of people do)

hope this helps :)
  • Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Try the edamame hummas from www.skinnytaste.com! It's really good, I eat it with low sodium tostitos bite size nachos!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Hi all!

I'm looking to increase my calorie intake (trying to eat back more exercise calories). I'm hoping to do this by bulking up my snacks during the day rather than binging at night. I usually eat a lot of raw fruit and vegetables for my snacks to keep my sugar levels in balance during the day, so I'm basically looking for some ideas for add-ons that won't ruin that balance. I was thinking that hummus, peanut butter & maybe a couple almonds added with my veggies would be good - but need a bit more variety.

Any ideas on low sugar, lower cal things for me to eat with my veggies & fruit? Or any other snack ideas that will still keep my blood sugar levels in check?

If you're trying to increase your calories, why are you looking for lower cal things?

If you want to feel satisfied, eat something with healthy fat: peanut butter, almonds, avocado. They are nutrient dense and good additions to your snacks! :smile:
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    if you're looking for a dip of some sort... use a calorie wise salad dressing, or, even salsa... low cal, low sugar, low fat, but you'll still be padding your calories a bit. old el paso salsa is about 20-25 cals for 1/4 cup.
  • MonolithTMA
    MonolithTMA Posts: 62 Member
    My favorite is pistachios, though I have to count them out or I will keep shelling and eating them. ;-)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I'm having the same problem. I have hoummous regularly. Its quite high in fat though. I'd welcome anymore suggestions... Zara
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    If you're trying to increase your calories, why are you looking for lower cal things?

If you want to feel satisfied, eat something with healthy fat: peanut butter, almonds, avocado. They are nutrient dense and good additions to your snacks! :smile:

I just want to pad my snacks a little bit. I eat a lot of them during the day - usually 4-5 snacks total with the veggies around 10 to 15 calories and the fruit ones topping out at around 100. Since I have so many of them, I just want to add a little bit extra to each one. I know I could always eat more veggies in a serving too, but I think adding a new taste instead would be more fun/satisfying. I LOVE PB, and avocado so they'll definitely end up in the mix. :happy:
  • jellycar
    a new favorite for me is peeled cucumber with Hummus...I like the Athenos Roasted Red pepper flavor b/c I like the little kick!!!!....it's a great low cal snack...and fills you up....actually had it for dinner last night to stay within my calorie range.....good luck!

Yum! Thanks:happy:
  • I mix store bought hummus 1/2 & 1/2 with non-fat Greek yogurt. Cuts the fat in half. Tastes great, just creamier. I eat it on carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers and falafel. Also Laughing Cow light cheese comes in lots of flavors and its good on everything!
  • jellycar
    I mix store bought hummus 1/2 & 1/2 with non-fat Greek yogurt. Cuts the fat in half. Tastes great, just creamier. I eat it on carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers and falafel. Also Laughing Cow light cheese comes in lots of flavors and its good on everything!

I'm def going to try that! Thanks!