Need help with strength training/weight exercises for a girl

Options
I really want to do some weight exercises, but I don't want to be beefy. I want long, lean muscles but I have NO idea what exercises to do! Does anyone have any ideas? I'm totally new to lifting weights.
Thanks!

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I really want to do some weight exercises, but I don't want to be beefy. I want long, lean muscles but I have NO idea what exercises to do! Does anyone have any ideas? I'm totally new to lifting weights.
    Thanks!

Take a look here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328354-women-strength-training-for-real

You might be surprised at the information. Basically, you'll just do a normal weight routine...but the information is all in the link hun.

Good luck!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I do leg press, chest press, shoulder press, butterfly, leg extensions, standing calf raises, arm extensions, dead lifts, lunges, squats to name a few, oh and cardio everyday in between.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Generally speaking, it takes a lot for a girl to become "beefy". We don't have the hormones necessary for building huge ol' muscles. With that said, Yoga and Pilates is great for long, lean muscles. Also, there is a site called Live Lean (www.liveleanmd.com) that has great strength training workouts that involved minimal equipment and offer great results. :smile:
  • raheann
    raheann Posts: 2
    Options
    Try resistance bands.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just got the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women". I got it cheap off Amazon. I'd recommend it.

It explains all the misconceptions women have about lifting. You won't bulk or get "beefy". As long as you keep your body fat above 15% or so, you won't be "hard". You can't lengthen muscles just like you can't go taller. Moves that work many muscle groups are better over moves that work one (think bench press over bicep curls). Don't do more than 15 reps.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme is a great program for that!! I love it. Check it out!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I just got the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women". I got it cheap off Amazon. I'd recommend it.

It explains all the misconceptions women have about lifting. You won't bulk or get "beefy". As long as you keep your body fat above 15% or so, you won't be "hard". You can't lengthen muscles just like you can't go taller. Moves that work many muscle groups are better over moves that work one (think bench press over bicep curls). Don't do more than 15 reps.

^ This! LOVE this book! On top of what she said it also has easy to follow routines!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

^ This! LOVE this book! On top of what she said it also has easy to follow routines!

I am starting this tomorrow!!! The book is fantastic
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I will definitely be buying that book and trying your ideas. Thanks so much, everyone!