Water intake question

Options
Ok, so I'm supposed to drink8 cups of water a day. A tall order despite everyone claiming it's easy which I find it's not. Even when drinking nothin else and doing it from 9am to midnight. It really is hard doing 8 cups, especially since it has no flavor and I'm extremely tired of it. I'm even more tired of it since it does not seem to be benefitting me at all despite doing it for a couple o weeks to get past the plateau and my belly is still hangin out (which doesn't make sense since my waist shrinks).

I drink the ocean spray cranenergy juice. 35 calories co 8 oz as well as lots of vitamin c and several of the b's. As the first ingredient is filtered water, would I count this as my water intake? Like if I drank 3 cups of this juice, I would leave me with 5 cups of water left to do? I just really need to do something about this water thing-it's hard, torturous and not much results.

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'll get flamed for it but I see no point in drinking eight glasses a day. You get water in the foods you eat and in other liquids you drink. Sure water is a great choice when you're thirsty but I don't see any point to forcing yourself to down it when you don't want it. If you google a bit you'll see that "eight glasses a day" is one of the most persistent weight loss myths.
  • beloveddoll
    Options
    It's a myth? I thought it was true since so many places were recommending it.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I count my water with mio in it in my water. Calorie free carb free.. others may not see it like that.. but I too get bored with plain ol water.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Try putting lemon in your water.
  • stanfield72
    Options
    Water is absolutely essential to the human body’s survival. A person can live for about a month without food, but only about a week without water.

Water helps to maintain healthy body weight by increasing metabolism and regulating appetite.

Water leads to increased energy levels. The most common cause of daytime fatigue is actually mild dehydration.

Drinking adequate amounts of water can decrease the risk of certain types of cancers, including colon cancer, bladder cancer, and breast cancer.

For a majority of sufferers, drinking water can significantly reduce joint and/or back pain.

Water leads to overall greater health by flushing out wastes and bacteria that can cause disease.

Water can prevent and alleviate headaches.

Water naturally moisturizes skin and ensures proper cellular formation underneath layers of skin to give it a healthy, glowing appearance.

Water aids in the digestion process and prevents constipation.

Water is the primary mode of transportation for all nutrients in the body and is essential for proper circulation.

So even if you don't drink 8 glasses a day it's *really* important to drink for the body to function properly!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I almost never drink plain water....but I do drink easily 9-12 glass of other stuff ---- its all liquid and I count it all.
    I think its ridiculous that people say only count pure water... I count protein shakes, diet v8 splash, crystal light, decaf coffee, milk etc....
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    must. have. water. to. survive. properly.
  • JessicaBuff
    Options
    If it was me i would count it towards my water intake..I am in the same boat as you for i hate water..But i try to just chug it down and hold my nose..lol..I find if i keep a bottle of water sitting next to me i am more likely to sip on it throughout the day
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    I used to have a very difficult time drinking water. I literally would drink about 8 cups a year. With that being said I am now drinking 10+ cups a day. What has helped me to get used to drinking water was a lot of exercise. When I'm exhausted I drink lots of water! Being in AZ helps me with my water intake because it's so hot here! My water bottle sits in my lap and follows me everywhere I go. It's kinda like oxygen for me. Yes it's bland has no pizzazz about it. But I've personally noticed a difference in how my body looks. I went from looking bloated and pregnant to just looking chubby LOL.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately juices are not substitutes for water. Water - pure water - helps to flush out the impurities that are in your body. Plus our bodies are made up of water... we need to make sure we keep it replenished. I was a huge non-water drinker. After a year on MFP, I find myself craving that ice cold refreshing glass of water. My trick is that it must be ice cold. So I bought a Brita filter pitcher and keep it stocked.

Juices are okay in moderation but look at the sugars in them... it's not just about calories... it's about keeping everything in proportions. Also, your diary is not public so I don't know what other foods / drinks you are consuming or exercises you are doing but my biggest uh-oh moment was when I started watching sodium. Holy crap that was an eye opener because I didn't realize sodium was everywhere....

wishing you luck on your journey.
  • lindsaystory
    lindsaystory Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In many cases, hunger is just thirst in disguise. When you feel like snacking, try drinking a full glass of water. This does not answer your question, just a little tip I learned a long time ago.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Water is absolutely essential to the human body’s survival. A person can live for about a month without food, but only about a week without water.

Water helps to maintain healthy body weight by increasing metabolism and regulating appetite.

Water leads to increased energy levels. The most common cause of daytime fatigue is actually mild dehydration.

Drinking adequate amounts of water can decrease the risk of certain types of cancers, including colon cancer, bladder cancer, and breast cancer.

For a majority of sufferers, drinking water can significantly reduce joint and/or back pain.

Water leads to overall greater health by flushing out wastes and bacteria that can cause disease.

Water can prevent and alleviate headaches.

Water naturally moisturizes skin and ensures proper cellular formation underneath layers of skin to give it a healthy, glowing appearance.

Water aids in the digestion process and prevents constipation.

Water is the primary mode of transportation for all nutrients in the body and is essential for proper circulation.

So even if you don't drink 8 glasses a day it's *really* important to drink for the body to function properly!

Additionally it helps to keep you fuller for longer. Some people confuse "hunger pains" with dehydration.

If you don't like water plain try adding fruit and/or crystal light.
  • beloveddoll
    Options
    I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my diary stuff open so you guys can get a look at it. I'm not perfect but I'm pretty religious about entering everything. I can tell you for sure that my sugars is usually over bur being hypoglycemic, I don't worry too much, especially since I find if I do just the recommended amount, I get dizzy and have fainting spells. But maybe it's still too high? The other thing I know is my potassium is shot. I'm looking for potassium sources but am incredibly limited- I'm the worlds pickiest eater and can't touch most foods because they taste horrible to me( especially seafood and foreign food) so I'm looking into potassium supplements. Would low/non-existent potassium be a factor in my limbo state?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    While it's true that you'll get some water from food, there's no way to measure how much. Plus it all depends on what kinds of foods you're eating. If you're having a lot of raw fruits and veggies - sure you're going to get a lot of fluid from those. If they're cooked veggies, you'll get less fluid because some comes out in the cooking process. Like everything else with diet/nutrition, there are no blanket statements. I personally have no trouble getting my minimum 8 cups because I'm a naturally thirsty person and always have been. On the other hand, I have an uncle who hardly drinks anything all day long...we're all different.

If I was in your shoes, I'd add some of that cranberry juice to my water (or vice versa) so it's not just plain water. I get really sick of plain water too and usually add a spash of SoBe Lifewater or koolaid or a drink mix to it. It may not be the perfect method but it works for me. You can also count tea or coffee.

If you're active at all, you definitely need to be drinking at least 8 cups as you'll be sweating out some of that fluid and risk dehydration. Also, if you find yourself feeling tired or even hungry, sometimes dehydration is the cause.

Not sure if this is your situation but remember that one cup is 8 fluid oz or 250ml. Some folks think of a cup as whatever glasses they use for drinking but some of those actually hold closer to 2 or 3 cups depending on size.

Good luck!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I almost never drink plain water....but I do drink easily 9-12 glass of other stuff ---- its all liquid and I count it all.
    I think its ridiculous that people say only count pure water... I count protein shakes, diet v8 splash, crystal light, decaf coffee, milk etc....

Same. If it has calories make sure you log those too, but if it's wet, it's water.
  • beloveddoll
    Options
    So my juice can be counted. That does make it easier to swallow. I always drink at least 2 cups of water after my exercise sessions to keep dehydration at bay but it doesnt seem to do me any good weight-wise. I like it best ice cold and try to stick with that but it's still hard to get down plain ol' water. I think my boyfriend still has his Crystal Lights or whatever the proper spelling is, I'll ask him to borrow some and try that.

I'm so done with this plateau and want it to go away.
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    must. have. water. to. survive. properly.
    And Jaffa Cakes:love:
  • preciousperez
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started this journey of weight loss.....I didnt drink water that much but now I drink up to 8-12 cups a day. When I am at work I serve myself a glass that is 24oz in the morn I drink it before noon. At noon I serve me another one and drink before 3p.m. I serve one more time before I leave and that makes 9 cups, 216oz.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    that makes 9 cups, 216oz.

216 oz is 27 cups. 9 cups is 72oz.
  • beloveddoll
    Options
    Well see, I spread the 8 cups out between 8am and midnight everyday for several weeks. I drink at least 2 cups of it after every exercise session. I am not seeing any benefit to doing this. My weight doesn't improve and my belly doesnt either. I've read all over the place how this is supposed to help you weight loss and plateauing but I just don't see it. I'm still lingering. And since it wasn't doing me a lick of good, I wanted to change my water source so that it could at the very be enjoyable and not feel like torture drinking plain water.