Breakfast - need options!

Options
I am looking for some healthy - quick - low sugar breakfast alternatives. It seems I am stuck eating smoothies, peanut butter bagels and cereal...all seem to be have on the sugar side. Anyone got a 'savory' breakfast alternative for a quick prep in the mornings - say 8 minutes or less?

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal. I used to get the quick packets but they are loaded with sugar so now I buy it in bulk. I don't get the steel cut ones though because they take forever to cook. The regular kind takes 5 minutes simmering and then 2 minutes standing. I add some flaxseed and sometimes walnuts and it always keeps me full til lunch. My other go to breakfast is 2 over easy eggs with 2 pieces of wheat toast. Not sure how long it takes, but not too long, maybe 10 minutes? I know there was a recipe on here on how to make the steel cut oats overnight to be ready to go in the AM but I don't remember it.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oatmeal. You can cook it with his recipe overnight, and heat up first thing in the morning. It also can be refrigerated for up to a week!

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2009/01/overnight-oatmeal-quick-cook-steelcut-oats-in-10-minutes.html
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Microwave some scrambled eggs. I use a paper bowl so as not to have to deal with the mess afterwards. Add some lean canadian bacon, a little reduced fat cheese. Good stuff and no sugar.
  • derbylea
    derbylea Posts: 22
    Options
    How about a bagel thin with low fat cream cheese? I do breakfast burritos but I am not sure how long it takes me... I would say 5-10 minutes. Scramble egg (or just egg white), add sprinkle of cheese, chopped bell pepper. Place in small warmed flour tortilla with a tablespoon of your favorite salsa. Yummy and filling. (Sometimes on weekends, I add a slice of bacon. You can cook it in the microwave fast. Chopped ham is even easier with less fat.)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and I stir in half a teaspoon of peanut butter to give it flavour!
  • Xythex
    Xythex Posts: 2
    Options
    Rice Crispies, 1% milk, and 2 packets of splenda is my diet breakfast of choice.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    I'm hooked on green smoothies.
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love eating cottage cheese with diced peaches - it is filling too!
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    And almonds!
  • Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
  • A_Brunner
    Options
    My breakfast consists of the following...depending on the days.

1 egg
    3 pieces of sausage
    5 strawberries
    1 cup of milk
    1 slice of toast
    1 cup of yogurt
    1 apple cubed
    1/4 cup of wal-nuts
    Cold Fusion
  • Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    I have oatmeal, cottage cheese, and applesauce with a little cinnamon-all in the same bowl.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I make an egg sandwich. Pull out a frozen english muffin (extra crisp), toss it in the microwave and speed defrost for 25-30 seconds, then cut it and toss it in the toaster oven. As that toasts, I spray a small cup or tupperware with olive oil, toss in a shake of no salt seasoning, add an egg, and a couple grinds of salt and pepper, beat it with a fork, microwave that for 40 seconds. Then I microwave a piece of turkey bacon for 35-40 seconds, as I add about a tablespoon of light Tex-Mex shredded cheese on the egg. When bacon is done, I put the egg back in for 12 seconds to melt the cheese a bit. By this time the muffin is done, bring it out (bit of butter if desired), then put egg and bacon on. It takes about 4-5 min, and is nice and tasty. With a dab of butter, it comes to about 249 calories, with some protein, and not sweet at all.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I use my rice steamer to make up a batch of oatmeal, and then just reheat throughout the week! I also love to cook an egg and make an egg sandwich with Dave's Killer Bread (yum). Kashi's Golden Goodness cereal is great with unsweetened almond milk. Good luck!
  • felixleveron
    Options
    I have instant grits with lite butter, honey wheat toast, 2 cups 2%milk and 1 cup of coffee. I dont look at sugar I look at carbs. I dont eat anthing above 15crbs. Sugar is not bad, carbs are. You burn sugar, you turn carbs into sugars that dont burn off as easy.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like to cook, so i usually make some eggs, but you can have some cereal, yogurt and granola, oatmeal. tons of options out there. i like oatmeal with some blueberries and sweetened with honey.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese on Whole grain white bread. Instead of butter, use cooking spray. And have a sliced apple! Yumm! Thats what i'm having tomorrow!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    .. and, if you're doing peanut butter already- get the natural stuff with no added sugar, and - i know this sounds weird, but it's awesome- salt and pepper it. Makes it savoury, and is very tasty, especially if you have toasted the bagel and the PB gets a bit melty.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal, but I'm LOVING breakfast quinoa even more! It's a nice change plus it has more protein!

Like oatmeal you can make it the night before. When it's finished cooking on the stove, I add some crushed up mixed nuts and also some craisons. I mix it up and put it in the fridge. In the morning, I'll eat it with almond milk. DELISH!
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like to load up on the protein in the morning because it keeps me going until lunch. I have a few favorites:

*Greek yogurt w/ 1/4 of granola, sometimes I add a scoop of protein powder
    *1 scoop pro complex protein powder, 1 cup ff milk, 1 banana
    *whole wheat english muffin w/ 1/2 cup eggbeaters and slice of reduced fat cheese on it
    * scramble - eggbeaters with green onion, red pepper and mushrooms topped with reduced fat cheese.

NOTE: on the scramble you can do it the night before, put all in a microwave safe container and when you get up in the morning pop it in the microwave for about two minutes and you are ready to go.