Carb/Protein/Fat Ratios?

Options
I would like to hear a few opinions on what is a good carb/protein/fat ratio. I've heard (and I think MFP defaults to this) that 50% carb/ 20%protein/ 30% fat is a good ratio? What do you think? If it helps, I work out at least 3 days/week for an hour or so- cardio & strength.

Replies

• djbadgerz
    Options
    I find it easiest to just set a grams goal and aim there. I definitely put the emphasis on protein in my diet since I'm exercising a lot and want my muscle mass to build up so my metabolic rate will also increase, causing me to naturally burn more calories. SO I shoot for about 90 - 100 gs of protein a day, round about. It's a really great idea to incorporate protein shakes with 100% Whey Protein, since whey is the quickest to be absorbed into the muscle tissue.

As far as fat goes, I keep it really low for the sake of avoiding trans fats. Seems like if it's high in fat, it's high in trans fats to so, as a result, I tend to avoid fat in general. I shoot for about 30g of a fat a day. But really, it's up to you as long as you watch those trans / saturated fats. Those are the ones that stay solid at room temperature, like lard. Animal fat.

And then for carbs, it's really up to the person, for the most part. Carbs are a great source of energy, and while they do lead to increases in insulin production which is what causes fat to stick to the body, it is also really difficult to find any significant amount of energy to run off of without the consumption of carbs. So, if you keep it relatively low, it will simply function as fuel for your exercise. It's only when you indulge in a lot of carbs, or if you aren't eating whole-wheat but rather processed carbs, that you gain weight. For carbs, you're basically avoiding the sugar and seeking the dietary fiber. I keep mine between 50 - 100, though I usually don't feel too energetic if it hovers around 50.

I tend to start the day off with something with a small but useful amount of carbs, because I like to work out soon after I wake up. For example, this morning I had greek yogurt, as it has 12g of protein and 18g of carbs. In a few minutes, I'll begin my workout and because of the carbs, I'll be able to put my full effort into it and get a lot more out of it than if I had tried to work out without having a carb-loaded snack before-hand, as my body would be running off of fumes from the previous day. Then, after my workout, I'll focus on protein because the body is primed to absorb protein into the muscles for about an hour after your workout ends. So, after I exercise I'll have a protein shake, which has 25g of protein in one scoop.

It's all about finding the perfect balance for your lifestyle. And it's also a good idea to pick up a really good multivitamin just to fill in any holes in your diet. The body can't function well without all of the antioxidants and minerals.

Hope this is at all helpful :)