Chronic Illness & Weight loss

I'm not going to start a pity party or anything. I would just like to know how all of you with chronic illnesses stay motivated to workout.

Yesterday, it took all my strength to just take a walk, and today my whole body hurts like crazy.

If you were in my shoes, how would you motivate yourself to workout today despite the pain?

Thanks all!

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Not knowing what your illness is, I wonder if you've been cleared for exercise by your physician. Did your doctor provide you any advice or limitations to follow?
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    I have an undifferentiated connective tissue disease. Eating deliciously terrible food directly affect my pain & energy level. Some days are harder than others. I aim for 3 days at the gym and try my best to eat healthy. The hardest part is going to the gym. If I'm not feeling well, I'll do something light...like biking or walking on the treadmill. I aim for 30 minutes. If I'm not feeling it, 20 minutes. If I know I will not go to the gym, I'll *try* to eat 100% healthy. In addition to eating well and excercising, adequate sleep helps a lot too. Not perfect at this. But when I fall off the bandwagon, I pay for it!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    I see you have RA, no wonder it hurts to exercise. I didn't think it was right to exercise when having a flare up?

I have osteo-arthritis and have been following this plan - which is for all forms of arthritis - https://www.arthriticassociation.org.uk/ and have found a link between my arthritis and potatoes and tomatoes - especially raw. I avoid aubergine and mostly have only white meat and fish. I love potatoes but limit them.

Unfortunately the charity is in the UK and getting some of the remedies might be problematic, let me know if you are interested and I will try to scan in the foods and forward them to you.

All the best!
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    My disease is pretty mild - the pain/inflammation is isolated in my wrist, hands and arms right now. Running, jogging or walking won't aggravate my condition. However, I try to stay away from free weights and/or anything to do with my hands when I have a flare up.

If everything hurts, I try to do Yoga - streching usually makes me feel better. Eliza, thanks for the website - very informative :)
  • tiffany1851
    tiffany1851 Posts: 26 Member
    I have RA also. I was diagnosed about 15 months ago and just started working out about 30 days ago. In the beginning, the pain was too bad to check the mail little alone go for a walk. I went for a walk around my neighborhood (half mile) 4 months after my diagnosis and cried it hurt so bad. It took my doctor and I almost a year to really figure out which medicines and dosages worked for me. We finally figured out the right combination and I am leading a life with minimal pain now. Once that was accomplished, i focused on going to the gym.

I would suggest talking to your doctor. Because my arms, wrist and shoulders are my worst spots, my doc will only let me walk, swim or ride the stationary bike right now. In the beginning, he would only let me do "Chair Yoga" and certain types of stretches. Your Rheumatoligist can give you advice for what exercises would be best for you.

I really try to make the best of the good days and don't feel guilty when I need a lot of rest on the bad days!
  • amalthea23
    amalthea23 Posts: 44 Member
    I just joined recently and I'm also chronically ill. I had a good couple of days this week, which of course means that today I'm stuck on the couch, unable to do anything. it's difficult, but I'm trying to stay within my calories, meager though they may be on the sick days.