Help me pick an HRM for my DH

Options
I would like to get my DH an HRM that does the following:

1. has a chest strap (for accuracy)
2. has a reciever that doubles as a watch AND stopwatch
3. has user replaceable batters for both the transmitter and receiver
4. does not weigh a ton and isn't really heavy.....I can't believe the Garmin GPS unit I just looked at weighs...1 lb!!
5. preferably comes with a GPS feature/pod (not necessary)

He'd like to wear it daily, as his work watch, in addition to a heart rate monitor during exercise. He runs, bikes and does some weight lifting. He doesn't need a bike computer.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Phestr
    Phestr Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm expecting the Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch in the mail today. The total weight (I'm guessing watch and transmitter), which isn't bad at all. If it comes in, I'll use it tonight and let you know. But it fits all your criteria except for the distance/speed tracking, but it's only about $40.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Check out the Garmin Forerunner 405 and 610.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    In fact, here is the whole line.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142

Many of them allow for the add-on foot pod for treadmill use and the cadence monitor for cycling.
  • txnew2nola
    Options
    Check into the Polar products. Just bought one last week for myself!
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm expecting the Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch in the mail today. The total weight (I'm guessing watch and transmitter), which isn't bad at all. If it comes in, I'll use it tonight and let you know. But it fits all your criteria except for the distance/speed tracking, but it's only about $40.

Great! I love your signature quote. Zombieland is one of my favorite movies, highly recommend it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I'd personally steer clear of this one... mainly because it gives an overestimated calorie burn. You also cannot put in any info besides weight and max/lower heart rate.. and to get an accurate calorie estimation you need to be able to enter into the watch weight, age, gender, height.

I'd look into Polar.. the FT60 is what your looking for. It does all that you mention I believe and will be accurate with the calorie estimation. It is a bit expensive though and prices vary from place to place.. so search around before you buy.
  • DancingSquirrel
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 610 and like it. I use it with a chest strap HRM and a foot pod. I wouldn't use it as a daily watch but a guy might.

Pros: relatively compact, feature rich, easy to use, rechargeable via usb, wireless data transmission
    Cons: needs charging every few days with use, a bit large for an every day watch, especially for women
  • Phestr
    Phestr Posts: 37
    Options
    I'd personally steer clear of this one... mainly because it gives an overestimated calorie burn. You also cannot put in any info besides weight and max/lower heart rate.. and to get an accurate calorie estimation you need to be able to enter into the watch weight, age, gender, height.

I did read elsewhere that it seemed to be more keyed towards men, so I'm not surprised by the heightened calorie burn. But that didn't bother me...for obvious reasons. I'm a big believer in starter units, though. Spend a little on a base model, use it until you decide you really like the type/activity/usefulness, then upgrade. There is something to be said for going straight for the top, but my brain doesn't work like that.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I did read elsewhere that it seemed to be more keyed towards men, so I'm not surprised by the heightened calorie burn. But that didn't bother me...for obvious reasons. I'm a big believer in starter units, though. Spend a little on a base model, use it until you decide you really like the type/activity/usefulness, then upgrade. There is something to be said for going straight for the top, but my brain doesn't work like that.

Yea, I spent a little on this base model and then sent it packing because of how outrageous it was... for 30 min on a treadmill at 15% incline speed 3.0 it told me I burned 581 calories.. Um no. I do the same with the Polar and I burn half that.. closer to 300.

It is geared towards males because you can't enter any info besides weight.. which as I stated earlier does crap for an accurate calorie estimation(if thats what your after).

Hopefully it works for you.. for females, there are much better options out there.