Help with Protien Bars!

Options
I love the PURE PROTIEN bar, but I can not digest the SUGAR ALCOHOL, but this bar seems to have less sugar than all the others. I only use the bars on rest days, because I am famished, and the nuts do not cut it for my morning snack. I realize all the bars have too many ingredients, and all the hype that goes with that....but looking for suggestions on a high quality bar with low sugar, high protien, and I do not want to do powder in the morning. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too! I use nuts in place of the more expensive bars but it seems that the protein powder used in the bars really helps up the total protein. I've also used a spoon full of no or low sugar peanut butter...
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I like Luna bars. They don't have a lot of sugar but they are tasty. They also have a lot of other vitamins and minerals in them. Hope this helps.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    While I do not have an actual recipe for you I would still like to suggest that you look into making your own protein bars. There are several recipes online and on this website. That way you can have the stuff in it you want minus the sugar!
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like Luna bars. They don't have a lot of sugar but they are tasty. They also have a lot of other vitamins and minerals in them. Hope this helps.

Luna Protien has 12 grams of protien with a matching 12 of sugar. Unfortuantely it gets me craving more sugar, but the cherry almond is a wonderful treat.
  • xraylady33
    Options
    I'm interested too! I use nuts in place of the more expensive bars but it seems that the protein powder used in the bars really helps up the total protein. I've also used a spoon full of no or low sugar peanut butter...

I eat natural Peanut butter for lunch...almost every day! ha...I need other options..(laughing) such a creature of habbit, and now I am dry..bahaha
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    If you're only going to have one a week, just look for one you can stand to eat (and digest!). If it is a little high in sugar is shouldn't really hurt if you only eat them rarely. I've never tried the clif higher protein bars, but the regular ones are delicious.
  • xraylady33
    Options
    While I do not have an actual recipe for you I would still like to suggest that you look into making your own protein bars. There are several recipes online and on this website. That way you can have the stuff in it you want minus the sugar!

Holy CORNDOGS....I had no idea...yippee! I can't wait, a new google search. I can't cook...wish me luck!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have become addicted to Dry Roasted Edamame. Look in the health food section. They're just dry roasted soybeans. Less fat than nuts and lots more protein!
  • CWClip
    CWClip Posts: 2
    Options
    Try Quest Protein Bars: no sugar alcohols; only 1 or 2 grams of sugar because most of the carbs (only 21 or 22g per bar) come from nuts.
    You can see the nutritional information at: http://www.questproteinbar.com/
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Where do you get protein bars? I've been looking for some at my regular grocery store (Martin's) and haven't been able to find them. Not sure if I'm not looking in the right aisle, or if you have to go a health food store to get them?

And saving this for later...
    I have become addicted to Dry Roasted Edamame. Look in the health food section. They're just dry roasted soybeans. Less fat than nuts and lots more protein!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

Holy CORNDOGS....I had no idea...yippee! I can't wait, a new google search. I can't cook...wish me luck!
    Check out Jamie Eason's recipes. I just made some chocolate ones this week and they've been my go-to snack. So good, taste like not quite as sweet chocolate cake. I put a little smear of peanut butter on top. Yummmm.