Black-Eyes Pea Patties with Garlic Pepper Salsa - CL

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
My mom always used to serve black-eyed peas on New Years for luck!! :wink:

Black-Eyed Pea Patties with Garlic Pepper Salsa

Black-eyed peas were introduced in the Caribbean by African slaves. Somewhat drier than other legumes, they are ivory-gray in color with a black "eye" at the inner curve. They go by many names, including gungo and pigeon peas. These patties can be shaped an hour in advance; cover and refrigerate.

Yield
6 servings (serving size: 2 patties and 1/3 cup salsa)

Ingredients
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
2 (16-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and well drained
1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 large egg
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
2 cups chopped tomato
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Preparation

Combine minced garlic and chiles in a large bowl. Place 1 teaspoon garlic mixture in a small bowl; set aside. Add peas to remaining garlic mixture in large bowl; mash mixture with a potato masher. Stir in bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and egg, stirring until well blended. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions (about 1/4 cup each), shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and 6 patties.

Add remaining 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, chopped tomato, and fresh lime juice to the reserved garlic mixture in bowl; stir well. Serve with patties.

Beer note: Sometimes it's fun to conjure a little sunshine with your autumn meals. And these salsa-laced patties mark the perfect occasion to enjoy a refreshing Caribbean beer like Red Stripe Lager ($7.50/six-pack) from Jamaica. Beers that are developed alongside spicy cuisine tend to be light-bodied, balanced, neutral, and incredibly quaffable, making this beer a good choice with the patties' serrano peppers and cumin. --Jeffery Lindenmuth

Nutritional Information
Calories:119 (29% from fat)
Fat:3.9g (sat 0.7g,mono 2g,poly 0.7g)
Protein:6.1g
Carbohydrate:16g
Fiber:4.1g
Cholesterol:35mg
Iron:1.5mg
Sodium:435mg
Calcium:37mg
Victoria Abbott Riccardi, Untangling My Chopsticks: A Culinary Sojourn in Kyoto, Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2007

pea-patties-ck-1662935-l.jpg

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    My mom always used to serve black-eyed peas on New Years for luck!! :wink:

Black-Eyed Pea Patties with Garlic Pepper Salsa

Black-eyed peas were introduced in the Caribbean by African slaves. Somewhat drier than other legumes, they are ivory-gray in color with a black "eye" at the inner curve. They go by many names, including gungo and pigeon peas. These patties can be shaped an hour in advance; cover and refrigerate.

Yield
    6 servings (serving size: 2 patties and 1/3 cup salsa)

Ingredients
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
    2 (16-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and well drained
    1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1 large egg
    1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
    2 cups chopped tomato
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    Preparation

Combine minced garlic and chiles in a large bowl. Place 1 teaspoon garlic mixture in a small bowl; set aside. Add peas to remaining garlic mixture in large bowl; mash mixture with a potato masher. Stir in bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and egg, stirring until well blended. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions (about 1/4 cup each), shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and 6 patties.

Add remaining 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, chopped tomato, and fresh lime juice to the reserved garlic mixture in bowl; stir well. Serve with patties.

Beer note: Sometimes it's fun to conjure a little sunshine with your autumn meals. And these salsa-laced patties mark the perfect occasion to enjoy a refreshing Caribbean beer like Red Stripe Lager ($7.50/six-pack) from Jamaica. Beers that are developed alongside spicy cuisine tend to be light-bodied, balanced, neutral, and incredibly quaffable, making this beer a good choice with the patties' serrano peppers and cumin. --Jeffery Lindenmuth

Nutritional Information
    Calories:119 (29% from fat)
    Fat:3.9g (sat 0.7g,mono 2g,poly 0.7g)
    Protein:6.1g
    Carbohydrate:16g
    Fiber:4.1g
    Cholesterol:35mg
    Iron:1.5mg
    Sodium:435mg
    Calcium:37mg
    Victoria Abbott Riccardi, Untangling My Chopsticks: A Culinary Sojourn in Kyoto, Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2007

pea-patties-ck-1662935-l.jpg
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to serve black eyed peas on New Year's too.:smile:
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My mother religiously made black-eyed peas every year.....:laugh:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    These sound really good! How are they for leftovers? I might be the only one eating them.
  • chickadee10
    Options
    That's looks yummy. Also, something with black-eyed-peas is black-eyed-pea cheese dip. It's pretty good.
  • lpadilla75
    Options
    This sound really good and easy to make.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    That's looks yummy. Also, something with black-eyed-peas is black-eyed-pea cheese dip. It's pretty good.

Throw us a recipe, will ya? :wink:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made this yet? I am curious. I have all the ingredients on my grocery list!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    These are EXCELLENT! They are spicy so be warned, but they are great! I didn't use the fresh tomatoes b/c they just are not good this time of year so I added a little salsa to it instead (try to drain as much of the juice off as you can). I used dry cilantro instead of fresh just b/c I all ready had that! I also just used store bought salsa on the side and used all the spices in the patties. I will be eating these once a week if not more! Thanks for sharing the recipe Tammy. Oh, and the ingredients to make it are CHEAP! You probably have most of them in your pantry all ready. The only thing I had to buy was the peppers.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    After a glowing review (thankfully with 'easy button' substitutions!!:wink: ) I am really looking forward to making these now!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    After a glowing review (thankfully with 'easy button' substitutions!!:wink: ) I am really looking forward to making these now!

I am all about the easy button! I know they would probably be "better" for me if I used the fresh cilantro and tomatoes, but easy wins out any day! After righting my review (I was eating them as I typed) I did add a tbsp of light sour cream and they were even yummier! Problem is I want more than just two! But if you just ate these as a meal with nothing else you could eat double serving size. You would still be under 250 cals for a meal!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options

I am all about the easy button! I know they would probably be "better" for me if I used the fresh cilantro and tomatoes, but easy wins out any day! After righting my review (I was eating them as I typed) I did add a tbsp of light sour cream and they were even yummier! Problem is I want more than just two! But if you just ate these as a meal with nothing else you could eat double serving size. You would still be under 250 cals for a meal!

One other adjustment I made. I used canola oil cooking spray in place of the olive oil. It worked just fine.
  • mayalinn
    Options
    I cook for only one person - me.... do you think these would freeze well? They really sound good and I'd like to try them, but recipe makes too much....
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I cook for only one person - me.... do you think these would freeze well? They really sound good and I'd like to try them, but recipe makes too much....

Half the recipe and refrigerate what you don't use. They would probably form better patties once refrigerated actually.
  • mayalinn
    Options
    thanks - halving the recipe is a better idea than freezing the whole thing. I'g going to try these - Maya