Weigh in vs. Inches ???

Options
I am so afraid of the scale. It never moves it seems, better yet, gets worse at times. As you can see below, my ticker does not move. I'm told it's inches that matter. Someone please help!!!! I know this is about "Fitness" So does weighing in really matter?? How do I do this!!! UGH :sad:

Replies

• Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I am so afraid of the scale. It never moves it seems, better yet, gets worse at times. As you can see below, my ticker does not move. I'm told it's inches that matter. Someone please help!!!! I know this is about "Fitness" So does weighing in really matter?? How do I do this!!! UGH :sad:
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you if you use the scale Lisabeth....just kick it under the bed until you feel more comfortable using it.

I think it's merely another tool...but I don't think it's anymore important than the tape measure, of course working out and as long as you log your food in each day and keep within your quota....nah...I say don't worry about.

It might help you to simply take measurements and go with that...by then you might just want to jump on and see how you did....maybe give it a month or so. I only weigh myself once a month. I don't want to get in the on the numbers game and get frustrated either. It's way to easy to get obsessed and then bummed out if the scale doesn't move.

Besides a person may be doing everything spot on and it simply isn't showing on the scale yet or since muscle weighs more than fat...that can cause a gain if you're doing strength training, PMS...all that jazz.

Go with your Gut:wink:

FC:heart:
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I know there are a few times when the scale doesn't move, but I have lost inches. I notice alot more defination in my body, so my opinion is my muscle is counteracting the fat I am losing.....Don't get discouraged and I would recommend measuring.....it may make you feel better knowing something is at least going down.... :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If you have been at this since April, and not lost a pound, then you are def doing something wrong.

But if you are getting back on track...

I had to start from 0.
    I put in that I wanted to lose 1/2 pound a week.
    Exercise at least 30 minutes everyday (very important at our age because our metabolism is kapoot!)
    Add weight training for healthy bones and muscles.
    Eat breakfast.
    Eat your calories EVERY day!
    Drink at least 48 oz of water each day.

I have lost 25 pounds since June 1st 2008. Admittedly, I have plateaued right now, but I am not giving up because I wear a size 10 and some of them are loose, even with no weight loss.
    I know my body has changed, because I stay awake after 7 pm now!!

You can do this!!!
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    Well then there goes "The Biggest Loser Challenge". I totally agree with what you wrote. I've also started blogging on here too...that way I can watch how horrible I hopefully "used" to feel and watch my progress over the months! Thank you.
    It's totally up to you if you use the scale Lisabeth....just kick it under the bed until you feel more comfortable using it.

I think it's merely another tool...but I don't think it's anymore important than the tape measure, of course working out and as long as you log your food in each day and keep within your quota....nah...I say don't worry about.

It might help you to simply take measurements and go with that...by then you might just want to jump on and see how you did....maybe give it a month or so. I only weigh myself once a month. I don't want to get in the on the numbers game and get frustrated either. It's way to easy to get obsessed and then bummed out if the scale doesn't move.

Besides a person may be doing everything spot on and it simply isn't showing on the scale yet or since muscle weighs more than fat...that can cause a gain if you're doing strength training, PMS...all that jazz.

• Lisabeth
    Options
    I have been on this site a long time....it started out great..I even introduced my husband to it and he reached his goal....I dropped out. So I am starting from 0 now to o. But it could not be better timing. I don't look to lose weight over nite. I'm giving myself a healthy time frame goal. "i think" and that's about 8 months to lose 65 pounds or 4 sizes.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!

If you have been at this since April, and not lost a pound, then you are def doing something wrong.

But if you are getting back on track...

I had to start from 0.
    I put in that I wanted to lose 1/2 pound a week.
    Exercise at least 30 minutes everyday (very important at our age because our metabolism is kapoot!)
    Add weight training for healthy bones and muscles.
    Eat breakfast.
    Eat your calories EVERY day!
    Drink at least 48 oz of water each day.ou

I have lost 25 pounds since June 1st 2008. Admittedly, I have plateaued right now, but I am not giving up because I wear a size 10 and some of them are loose, even with no weight loss.
    I know my body has changed, because I stay awake after 7 pm now!!

You can do this!!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Well...frankly that's why I ended up choicing not to stay with the last BLC last round...exactly that reason...the weighing in each week I found incredibly stressful....since I don't normally do that it was feeling weird and obsessive....now of course that's merely how it felt for me....:wink:

Others may share they weigh daily or weekly...for me with a larger amount to lose, monthly is working quite well...then I pay much more attention to other signs than simply a scale number.:happy:

I think I do recall several folks weighing in only monthly on that challenge though...per their doctor's request...so you might check in and let them know you'd much prefer to not weigh in weekly...it's a thought..that way you can still have support being part of a challenge :flowerforyou:
    Well then there goes "The Biggest Loser Challenge". I totally agree with what you wrote. I've also started blogging on here too...that way I can watch how horrible I hopefully "used" to feel and watch my progress over the months! Thank you.

• Lisabeth
    Options
    I agree. I have a larger amount to lose....so I feel like I might let the other team members down...when I feel like measurements should be considered too. I wonder if they do that on BLC?
    Well...frankly that's why I ended up choicing not to stay with the last BLC last round...exactly that reason...the weighing in each week I found incredibly stressful....since I don't normally do that it was feeling weird and obsessive....now of course that's merely how it felt for me....:wink:

Others may share they weigh daily or weekly...for me with a larger amount to lose, monthly is working quite well...then I pay much more attention to other signs than simply a scale number.:happy:

I think I do recall several folks weighing in only monthly on that challenge though...per their doctor's request...so you might check in and let them know you'd much prefer to not weigh in weekly...it's a thought..that way you can still have support being part of a challenge :flowerforyou:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Hm...yes last round they did do inches...some posted them, some sent them to their BLC leaders, then some perhaps chose not to do the tape measure route ( cause I think I recall not every one chose too).....but yes they did mention that but it was more for a personal tracking reason not as much for the intial Challenge deal
    I agree. I have a larger amount to lose....so I feel like I might let the other team members down...when I feel like measurements should be considered too. I wonder if they do that on BLC?