Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I can't believe the difference!

tech_sarah
tech_sarah Posts: 91
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
My bf got me my polar hrm for Christmas and I've used it yesterday and today. Yesterday I walked on the treadmill for an hour-200 calorie burn difference-but not in a good way. My hrm said I burned 300 some and the treadmill said I burned 5 hundred some...
Today I got on my stationary bike, there was only a few calories burned difference, so that was good. Then I ran on the treadmill for half an hour- again the treadmill said I burned 100 more calories than my HRM.
I am sooooooo happy to finally have the hrm to give me accurate info. I havent been feeling too great about myself the past month-I just felt like I was stuck (and started different type birth control-I hate to use that as an excuse though) I was shocked by the difference, and Im hoping having the right numbers now will help... has this happened to many of you, getting the hrm and seeing that you're actually burning less calories than you thought?
Have a good night...

Now Im going to play on my new Wii Fit :happy:

Replies

• My bf got me my polar hrm for Christmas and I've used it yesterday and today. Yesterday I walked on the treadmill for an hour-200 calorie burn difference-but not in a good way. My hrm said I burned 300 some and the treadmill said I burned 5 hundred some...
    Today I got on my stationary bike, there was only a few calories burned difference, so that was good. Then I ran on the treadmill for half an hour- again the treadmill said I burned 100 more calories than my HRM.
    I am sooooooo happy to finally have the hrm to give me accurate info. I havent been feeling too great about myself the past month-I just felt like I was stuck (and started different type birth control-I hate to use that as an excuse though) I was shocked by the difference, and Im hoping having the right numbers now will help... has this happened to many of you, getting the hrm and seeing that you're actually burning less calories than you thought?
    Have a good night...

Now Im going to play on my new Wii Fit :happy:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    I'm glad you did too. I also love my HRM and was dissapointed at how inaccurate the machines were even when you put your age and weight. Now you will know what you truly burn.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Where did you get this HRM and how much was it? I used the gym on a cruise ship I was on before and it had a different calorie burn to what I have at my regular gym. The HR was also lower on the cruise ship's machine than on the one I use at the gym and the resistance on the ship's machine was higher at the same level as the one at the gym.

So it'd be interesting to see what compares. But I don't want to spend a fortune!
  • I actually had another HRM and switched to the Polar F6 when I realized I was probably getting an inaccurate measurement. I had to push a button to get my HR and I didn't enter height/weight/age. I found out I was burning less than I thought, too.

I kind of had to adjust my goals at that point, because everything was a bit off. I had been losing well for a while, but sometime before the switch I stopped losing. I was probably a bit too low on my calories every day. You might need to make those changes, too. But your body will let you know that!

You can get HRMs at sports stores. Polar f6 is great and there is also a f11 that has more features. You can look them up online to get the prices.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Do you have to stop to check your HR, or does it do a constant readout? Is there a chest strap?
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Do you have to stop to check your HR, or does it do a constant readout? Is there a chest strap?

Are you asking in reference to the Polar F6?

If so...no, you do not have to stop to check your HR and yes, there is a constant readout.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Is there a chest strap? I have a Mio and I have to always check my Hr so it'll adjust to increase or decrease to correct the calories burned. But, there is no strap.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Is there a chest strap? I have a Mio and I have to always check my Hr so it'll adjust to increase or decrease to correct the calories burned. But, there is no strap.
    Whoops...sorry...forgot that question. Yes, a chest strap comes with it.
This discussion has been closed.