tracking exercise

Options
I just started using this site a week ago... I love it!...but I am a little worried that when I track my exercise that I am being given too many calories for the workout.... any suggestions? Like maybe is there some sort of device that may help me track accurately?

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    A heart Rate Monitor - HRM will give you a much better reading.

If really worried, just take a minute or 2 off your time and that will lower the calories burned!!!

Welcome and You Can Do It.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    If you get yourself a Heart Rate monitor with a chest strap, that will give you the most accurate calorie count.

It's very unlikely that MFP will over estimate your calories though. It's usually on the low side.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You need a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). One with a chest strap, something like the Polar7 is very popular and works very well.

MFP definitely only estimates calories burned, so until you have a HRM only eat back half of the exercise calories to be conservative :D
  • bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You can always buy a heart rate monitor. I personally don't faithfully log my excercise. I don't think it is accurate enough without a hrm and I can't afford one.
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    18 of my 24 lbs I've lost on here were done while I was using MFP to log my calories; the remainder came from my HRM. I wouldn't worry too much about using MFP, but if you can get a HRM, I think it would be much more accurate.
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    18 of my 24 lbs I've lost on here were done while I was using MFP to log my calories; the remainder came from my HRM. I wouldn't worry too much about using MFP, but if you can get a HRM, I think it would be much more accurate.
  • Raina622
    Raina622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much I just got a watch HRM Hopefully it's enough
  • Raina622
    Raina622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you your weight loss is inspirational!