Groccery Shopping Help...

Options
okay so today is my clean start to the rest of 09... i am just needing a lot of help with what to buy at the market... im used to buying chips and soda and dont even know anything else other then that... said i know... so my question is help me make a shopping list filled with positives instead of negatives.. o and another problem is... i am not able to cook... i am at school monday thru fri from 9 in the morning to 9 at night... so i need stuff i can either put in a lunch pale or snacks... thank you in advance...

Replies

• hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    okay so today is my clean start to the rest of 09... i am just needing a lot of help with what to buy at the market... im used to buying chips and soda and dont even know anything else other then that... said i know... so my question is help me make a shopping list filled with positives instead of negatives.. o and another problem is... i am not able to cook... i am at school monday thru fri from 9 in the morning to 9 at night... so i need stuff i can either put in a lunch pale or snacks... thank you in advance...
  • nicolet04
    Options
    for snacks i like...fiber one bars(oatmeal&carmel is my fav), carrots, hummus, nuts, cheese sticks, deli meat, yogurt, fruit, canned asparagus, 100 calorie icecream bars, protein shakes, bananas(slice them and then freeze them...then blend with milk and peanut butter or sugar free chocolate) tastes just like a milkshake but with no icecream!!!(i got that from somebody on here!!!) i luv to make my own egg mcmuffin...1/2 whole wheat enlish muffin toasted, cook 1 egg and 1egg white in microwave in a small dish...put 1 slice kraft singles on muffin and top with egg...soooo good and under 200 calories!!!!
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I love making a big salad. I usually have just spinach & add some sort of nuts like almonds and some dried cranberries. I add in a little tupperwear of raspberry vinagrette & it's quick and easy! Or a spinach salad with strawberries, shrimp, vinagrette, and slivered almonds. I also make a good Asian salad with lettuce, dried asian noodles for crunch, cashews, and a soy/ginger dressing.

If you like chips, I like to buy yams, slice them very thin & fry them in a tiny bit of light olive oil & then bake them until they are crispy.

For super quick and easy, a pb&j on a really great great flax/multi grain bread.

Egg whites, lean ham are always good for dinner, not just breakfast.

I like the low-calorie hot chocolates to satisfy cravings. You can get instant hot chocolates for 40 calories each!!

Always add fruit with your meals & for your snacks.

Also, drinking tea is a really good way to help fill hunger.

I think you're going to need to prepare your meals if you really want success. I'm not aware of any heat & ready meals that would be good. There are the low-calorie microwave dinners but they are high in sodium & tend not to be filling. I do not cook much myself, but there are lots of super easy meals out there that are satisfying & super easy to make!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    you need to get familiar with the info on the side of food boxes. Look up calories and try to figure out what you could be eating thats healthier than your choices before. For instance, if one cookie is 160 calories, think of other wholesome foods that are less in calories but taste better. For example, a small piece of whole wheat bread can be 90 calories. Add a little peanut butter and add the total. Try to find alternatives. This takes time as their is a huge learning curve but once you start to make these small changes, your live will feel a whole lot different. I used to once drink whole fat milk, now Im loving fat free milk (even as a snack). Its all about choices. We are all making better ones daily. Come join us and make this commitment NOW. Not tomorrow or day after. Start with small steps today. g'luck!

A good place to start is snacks. Pick stuff like apples, fiber one bars, low fat cheese stick, hummus. This is just a starting point. Snacks are the hardest to resist. So, pick wisely! For main meals, if you can't cook, try making sandwiches in advance or switch to frozen vegetables (easy to cook) and chicken breast, fish etc.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am a big protien eater. It keeps me full. Try the instant oatmeal "weight control"- it has added protiend. Also 1oz almonds, hard boiled eggs, and deli meat are all great stuff!
  • Almonds (raw--I toast them myself so I don't get the extra salt), string cheese, fiber one bars (oats and chocolate happen to be my fave!), mini rice cakes (caramel corn is tasty), whole grain bread, peanut butter, fruits and veggies, whole wheat tortillas, hummus, salads, oatmeal, tortilla chips and salsa, hard boiled eggs, chicken breasts, yogurt, cottage cheese....everyone's suggestions are great! Lots of things to choose from that are easy and quick! :)

HTH
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Fruit, fruit, and more fruit! I like bananas, apples and oranges. I travel for work and they travel well. 100 calorie packs are great for snacks. I also like the fat free puddings and granola bars. I do cereal in the mornings and try to cook at night. Lean cuisines are a good option if you are not going to cook, but they are high in sodium so watch out for that. Once in a while they work though.

I would really recommend trying to learn how to cook when you have the time. I really enjoy trying out new recipes and finding healthy things to cook that are really delicious (ie, spaghetti squash or vegan pad thai). Buy a beginner cookbook and get yourself into the kitchen!

Most of it is just guess and test. Buy things that are low in calories and look yummy. If they don't work, try something else the next time you go. Think healthy, whole foods in general. You will get a new routine going in no time.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    They say to stick to the outer isles of the grocery store to get your "cleanest" foods. Also, keep in mind, if a farmer/gardener can produce it, then it's all good. There is a clean eating magazine out now you could check out to get ideas too. I'm working on it too. It's tuff.:grumble:
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have two huge food lists from bodybuilding.com and hungrygirl.com. Hope they help.

The first list is from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stella9.htm

Proteins

* Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    * Tuna (water packed)
    * Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
    * Shrimp
    * Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%) - Learn More
    * Protein Powder - Learn More
    * Egg Whites or Eggs - Learn More
    * Ribeye Steaks or Roast
    * Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
    * Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
    * Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
    * Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    * Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
    * Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
    * Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

Complex Carbs - Learn More

* Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
    * Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
    * Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
    * Oat Bran Cereal
    * Brown Rice
    * Farina (Cream of Wheat)
    * Multigrain Hot Cereal
    * Pasta
    * Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
    * Potatoes (red, baking, new)

Fibrous Carbs -

* Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
    * Broccoli
    * Asparagus
    * String Beans
    * Spinach
    * Bell Peppers
    * Brussels Sprouts
    * Cauliflower
    * Celery

Other Produce & Fruits -

* Cucumber
    * Green or Red Pepper
    * Onions
    * Garlic
    * Tomatoes
    * Zucchini
    * Fruit (if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
    * Lemons or Limes

Healthy Fats -

* Natural Style Peanut Butter
    * Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
    * Nuts (peanuts, almonds
    * Flaxseed Oil - Learn More

Dairy & Eggs

* Low-fat cottage cheese
    * Eggs
    * Low or Non-Fat Milk

Beverages

* Bottled Water
    * Diet Soda
    * Crystal Light

Condiments & Misc.

* Fat Free Mayonnaise
    * Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
    * Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    * Balsamic Vinegar
    * Salsa
    * Chili powder
    * Mrs. Dash
    * Steak Sauce
    * Sugar Free Maple Syrup
    * Chili Paste
    * Mustard
    * Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc
    * Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
    * Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)

Hungry Girl -
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=1178

Dairy, Dairy Alternatives and Eggs

Kraft Fat Free Cheeses (slices and shreds)
    Lifetime Fat Free Cheeses (shreds and blocks)
    The Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges
    Fat-free liquid egg substitute - Egg Beaters, Better'n Eggs, Nulaid ReddiEgg
    Galaxy Veggie Slices & Shreds (soy-based cheeses low in fat)
    Reduced-fat parmesan-style grated topping (usually found in the pasta aisle)
    Light string cheese
    Fat-free yogurt - Yoplait Light, Dannon Light & Fit, Weight Watchers, Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt
    Dannon Light & Fit Smoothies
    Fage Total 2% Greek Yogurt with Fruit
    Light vanilla soymilk - 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soymilk, Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
    Almond Breeze non-dairy beverage, Unsweetened Vanilla and Unsweetened Chocolate (located with the non-refrigerated soymilks)
    Fat Free Reddi-wip
    Cool Whip Free (in the freezer aisle)
    Coffee-Mate Original Fat Free (liquid creamer)
    Coffee-Mate Fat Free French Vanilla (powdered creamer)
    Fat-free cream cheese
    Fat-free sour cream
    Fat-free cottage cheese

Cereal

Fiber One bran cereal (original)
    Puffed wheat
    Puffed rice
    Puffed corn
    Shredded wheat
    Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs
    Kashi Vive
    Barbara's Bakery Puffins
    Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets
    Quaker Simple Harvest Instant Multigrain Hot Cereal

Meat & Seafood

Applegate Farms sliced turkey breast (or the freshest sliced turkey from the deli counter)
    Applegate Farms sliced ham (or the freshest sliced ham from the deli counter)
    Canned tuna in water
    Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Albacore Steak Entrées
    Hormel Turkey Pepperoni
    Lean, skinless, boneless chicken breast - Tyson Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Perdue Fit & Easy Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    Extra lean ground turkey breast - Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast, Butterball Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
    Fat-free (or nearly fat-free) hotdogs - Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef Franks, Yves Meatless Hot Dogs or Tofu Dogs, Ball Park Fat Free Franks or Bun Size Smoked White Turkey Franks
    Jennie-O Lean Turkey Burger Patties
    Jennie-O Extra Lean Turkey Bacon
    Imitation crabmeat
    Shrimp (frozen or fresh)

Veggies

Giant romaine lettuce leaves (great for wraps!)
    Salad greens
    Frozen veggies (steamable ones!)
    Butternut squash (for HG's special fries)
    Onions (for our ROCKIN' onion rings)
    Fresh vegetables (your choice)
    Baby carrots
    Pickles
    Cabbage
    Jicama (the vegetable that tastes like an apple!)

Fruit

Fresh fruit (we love red seedless grapes, fuji apples, navel oranges, melons, bananas, peaches, etc.)
    Canned fruit in juice or water (like pineapple, mandarin oranges, peaches, etc.)
    Frozen fruit with no added sugar (strawberries, mixed berries, peach slices, etc.)
    No-sugar-added applesauce - Mott's Healthy Harvest (comes in a bunch of fruity flavors!)

Soups & Other Canned Goods

Campbell's Soup at Hand
    Campbell's Select Gold Label Soups
    Progresso 99% Fat Free Soups
    Progresso Light Weight Watchers Endorsed 0 Points Soups
    Fat-free chicken, beef, or vegetable broth (look for ones low in sodium)
    Amy's Light in Sodium Organic Soups (especially the Chunky Tomato Bisque!)
    Tabatchnick Soups (located in the freezer)
    Miso soup packets
    Canned pure pumpkin (Libby's is the best!)
    Canned low-fat turkey or veggie chili - Hormel Chili in Turkey or Vegetarian, Health Valley Chilis

Packaged Snacks, Bars, Cookies, Crackers, Chips & Popcorn

Quaker Rice Snacks - Quakes, Multigrain Minis, Mini Delights, etc.
    Jell-O Sugar Free Gelatin Snacks
    Jell-O Sugar Free Pudding Snacks
    Kozy Shack No Sugar Added Rice Pudding & Tapioca Pudding
    Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs (any variety)
    Keebler Right Bites
    South Beach Diet Snack Bar Delights
    Fat-free baked apple crisps - Nature Valley Fruit Crisps in Cinnamon Apple, Fruit Ripples
    Guiltless Gourmet Potato Crisps and Tortilla Chips
    Soy crisps - Quaker, Genisoy, Glenny's
    94% fat-free mini microwave popcorn bags - Jolly Time Healthy Pop Mini Bags, Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop! Mini Bags, Pop Secret 94% Fat Free Snack Size
    Fiber One Chewy Bars
    Curves Bars
    Quaker Sweet & Salty Crunch Granola Bars
    Gerber Fruit Puffs & Veggie Puffs
    Freeze-dried fruit - Gerber Mini Fruits, Just Tomatoes brand

Breads

Light english muffins - Weight Watchers, Thomas' Light Multi Grain or 100 Calorie Original, Western Bagel Alternative
    Low-fat flour tortillas (around 110 calories & high in fiber) - La Tortilla Factory Low-Carb Tortillas (also labeled Smart & Delicious), Mission Carb Balance (Soft Taco Size), Tumaro’s 8” Low in Carbs or Healthy Flour Tortillas
    Wonder Light Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns
    Light bread (low in calories and high in fiber) - Wonder Light, Weight Watchers, Nature's Own Light, Arnold's Bakery Light
    Low-calorie bagels - Western Bagel Alternative, Weight Watchers
    High-fiber pita bread - Western Bagel Alternative, Weight Watchers

Ice Cream & Frozen Novelties

Dreyer's/Edy's Slow Churned Light Ice Creams
    Dreyer's/Edy's Loaded
    Breyers Double Churned FREE Ice Creams
    The Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches & Bars
    Weight Watchers GIA
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    VERY GOOD LIST!!! Thanks Stephica.