Protein Powders

Options
McFatterton
McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
What kind do you use? Where do you buy it? How do you eat/drink it?

I normally mix a scoop of protein powder with a frozen banana, cup of almond milk and some ground flax seed. I've been just buying the store brand and it's.....okay. All they have is chocolate and vanilla and I think I want to try something different.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Herbalife - excellent source of protien and nutrition - low in cals
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Permier Protein - Costco, at least once a day. 11oz, 160 calories, 30grams of protein, 3 fat and almost 0 sugar.
  • Derv
    Derv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I bought Kinetika whey in vanilla.
    I have it blended with skim mill and like yourself frozen banana, or frozenr aspberries or blueberries
    I also recently bough spirulina poweder and add a tsp of that - turns it a horrible colour - but luckily doesn't change the flavour.
  • brvanover
    Options
    I just use what's at walmart and I usually get vanilla ( I think the brand is body fortress although this week they were out and I got the other one they had)
    I put it in
    -smoothies (w/frozen fruit & almond milk)
    -pancakes
    -i've tried it in oatmeal but you can't use a lot or else it tastes bad (in my opinion)
    -my boyfriend straight up drinks it mixed with water but I think it's completely disgusting
  • abg0220
    abg0220 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd like some ideas too....gets old!! I just do frozen berries. There is a good app for the iphone called smoothie maker. It is by the makers of the Abs diet.
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like herbal life meal replacement shakes. I use them to as a way to make sure I eat breakfast, and that is healthier. I also don't get enough calcium in the rest of my diet, so the milk is a guarantee for me that day. They have several flavors, but I typically use choc and vanilla. I use a blender bottle or the magic bullet mix them with fat-free milk. They have non-flavored protein powder.
  • cecnat
    cecnat Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on Isagenix for a while and love it! Convenient and easy and it keeps me full.
    I am now on the Athlete's Pak because I do work out. This is the best nutrition in all my years
    of diets (and by the way I am 52). I interested, visit: www.cecilecardinal.isagenix.com and you
    can send me your questions have viewing some of the products. :smile:
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    GNC has literally tons of flavors...ranging from peanut butter chocolate to chocolate caramel, to strawberries and banana...get yourself to a local GNC!!!!

i usually dip a banana into it, or sprinkle it on top of some cereal...its delicious either way!!
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    I use BodyTech, it is the Vitamin Shoppes brand. 120 cal, 24g protein, 15mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 170mg potassium, 3g carb, 1g sugar. Taste good and available in a lot of flavors. Big sale in September buy 1 get 1 half price (every Vitamin Shoppe brand items), so it gets even cheaper.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    mix it into:

Greek Yogurt
    Oatmeal
    Make fluff with it
    make homemade froyo or ice cream with it
    pancakes
    sludge
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    There are lots of options out there... pay attention to whether it's soy or whey protein, 'cause some people's bodies react differently (badly) to one or the other.

Second thing to pay attention to is carb count. If you're using protein powder as fuel before a workout, choosing a kind with quite a few carbs is a good idea; the carbs provide the quick burst of energy for a workout. But if you're using it as a meal replacement or after a workout, choose a kind with few or no carbs.

My fave is Syntrax Nectar, because I'm lazy and it mixes up pretty smoothly with just a spoon and a glass of water (some kinds don't mix well unless you use a blender). Nectar also has lots of flavors to choose from. There are several specialty vitamin stores in my area that carry it, but you can get it online, too.

My favorite combinations:
    Using vanilla to make pancakes (1 scoop vanilla powder, 1 egg, dash of baking soda, splash of whipping cream & then fry it up like any other pancakes).
    Mixing a scoop of any flavor with a cup of plain greek yogurt.
    Mixing two scoops of cappuccino flavor with a cup of coffee & a cup of ice (just as good as Starbucks, and cheaper!).
    Mixing any fruit flavor with a bottle of diet Sprite or Fresca.

If you want to try different kinds with no risk, some brands offer one- or two-serving packets online, so you can order samples & see what you like, before committing to one of those giant jars. :smile:

Good luck!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey in Turbo Chocolate. Mix it in water and ice and drink.:smile:
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

It's horses for courses with protein powders, i really like MYProtein as it mixes really well with a smooth taste and does everything you need, I also use a shops own brand which is cheaper but does not have the same quality. My advice would be to order as many samples as possible and see which agree best with your stomach and try each with milk and water or a mix of both.

Cheers
    Scott
  • rdfinster
    Options
    I also use the Herbalife protein powder. I mix it with the Formula 1 Healthy Meal Shake mix as a meal replacer for breakfast. Both combined give me 14 grams of protein to help keep me fuller longer. I've never really tried others as i sell Herbalife. Good luck!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Shakeology meal replacement shakes! Hands down the best shake you'll ever drink and believe me I've used many over the past 15 yrs. I shake it with water or blend it in the blender with unsweetened coconut milk and some times I add fruit. YUMMY! :happy:
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I get my protein powder online. It's vi shape nutritional shake mix, comes in sweet cream flavor. I blend with milk, coffee, or juice and whatever else I want. It's super filling, low calorie/fat, and delicious!!! I use it after workouts and for quick and easy meal replacements
  • kellybstampin
    Options
    Some friends have been using the Body by Vi or something.....I use homemade kefir (made from raw milk) in my smoothies. (I've probably grossed out a ton of people now....)

And now that I'm going to be a Beach Body coach, I might try their shakeology.

I've also heard chocolate milk is one of the best "recovery shakes" -- worth a try every now and then!
  • Derv
    Derv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Some friends have been using the Body by Vi or something.....I use homemade kefir (made from raw milk) in my smoothies. (I've probably grossed out a ton of people now....)

And now that I'm going to be a Beach Body coach, I might try their shakeology.

I've also heard chocolate milk is one of the best "recovery shakes" -- worth a try every now and then!

Not me, I think kefir is cool!
    My husband takes chocolate milk after his runs, I avoid it!