When is a good time to start strength training?

Options
Started my journey 1 month ago...My cardio exercises are mainly elliptical, bike riding, Dance Central (xbox kinect), and the occasional try at P90x. I was wondering how many times a week I should incorporate strength training, and also any good strength training exercises you recommend. Feel free to add me also, as I am in need of as much support as I can get. :o)

Replies

• deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    *Bump*

Good question...I've been wondering the same thing. I've jsut been doing cardio for the past 5 months so I NEED to start incorporating strengh/toning workouts soon. I can't wait to see other peopls responses.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    yesterday!!!!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Today. The most important and often the hardest thing is to just start.
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    anytime. I was told by a trainer that it helps you burn fat faster becuase you are building muscle. IDK. I could be wrong :smile:
  • iamrobyn
    iamrobyn Posts: 85
    Options
    I am exactly where you are. I currently do 3-4 days of cardio for 45-60 minutes. I was to start adding this in but am almost 'scared' of that area of the gym.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

Start as soon as possible it will make a huge difference.

I will add you, feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck,
    Scott
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Today. 2-3x a week should do it. Any more than that and you don't give your body enough time to rest and repair; any less and you don't get the cumulative benefits of building muscle.
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    anytime. I was told by a trainer that it helps you burn fat faster becuase you are building muscle. IDK. I could be wrong :smile:

this and ASAP!! thats what alot of people make a mistake on.. they think "okay i need to loose weight so i will do cardio and eat less" well... you may loose LBS on the scale but u will look the same just thinner.. u wont necessarly look better.. you need to train and train hard to build muscle up!

good example.. my wife 5'3 130lbs her friend around 5'7ish 110lbs.. same BF% n my wife looks 100times better and firmer even though she is on the scale "heavier" but she has alot more muscle on her!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Muscles speeds your metabolism so to whomever said something about that you are on the right track. I actually have done many programs that did both but most recently I have come to LARGE plateu in my weight and I am in my healthy weight range so I recently started adding it everyday slowly but surely and wow it has made a tremendous difference in my endurance!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Start now. Find a good program to follow. If you can, find a trainer to help you with correct form. Nothing will give you a body like strength training will. Well, as long as you aren't eating corn dogs and twinkies after your workout. Good luck!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    strength training is as important as cardio, from day 1. Try for 2-3 days a week, with cardio most everyday.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    2-3 days of strength and 2-3 days of cardio.. alternate cardio then strength. strength training burns calories for the whole day, long term benefits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Should have started when you started exercising. But now is never too late.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Now is good. Do strengh training at least twice a week.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Immediately! Start lifting heavy enough to where you can only make it 10-12 reps and once you get comfortable, go heavier. You can find easy routines in magazines. I started out searching online at Self.com & Shape.com. Now I incorporate exercises from both magazines as well as exercises from Jillian Michael's DVDs and ones my personal trainer has showed me.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am exactly where you are. I currently do 3-4 days of cardio for 45-60 minutes. I was to start adding this in but am almost 'scared' of that area of the gym.

I was afraid also, because i didnt really know what i was doing and may injure myself. My gym has group classes run by personal trainers, so instead of hiring a trainer i just started going to the strength classes and learning as I go....and now I know all the trainers well enough if I have a question i just ask.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely start now. As far as ideas go, it's hard to explain in words since you need to make sure you have proper form and all that. If you're a member of a gym, ask about a 1 time session with a trainer to give you some basics to work on, or even ask someone you know there to show you a few moves. Or just google something like "basic strength training program" and find a site with pictures or videos so you can see the right way to do the moves.

As far as amount of weight, I was told my a trainer that you should start out with a weight that you can do 8-10 reps with until your muscles can't do it anymore. Then work up to doing 2 or 3 sets of 8-10 reps with that weight. Once that gets easy, up the weight by say 5 pounds and start the same cycle. There are also a lot of moves you can do using just body weight like push-ups, plank, sit-ups, tricep dip, etc.

ETA: 2-3 days per week is good but it does depend on how much you do. Just remember to work a different area/part of the body each time you strength train in order to get a good balance and let your muscles recover. For instance, biceps and quads one day, chest and hamstrings the next, triceps and calves the next...

Good luck!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    *Bump*

Good question...I've been wondering the same thing. I've jsut been doing cardio for the past 5 months so I NEED to start incorporating strengh/toning workouts soon. I can't wait to see other peopls responses.

BUMP! I agree!!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I would agree with most of the above, that there's no time like the present. However, after reading your profile, I'd recommend continuing moderate cardio/fat burning on a very regular basis. I've dropped the majority of my weight by simply walking on the incline treadmill. When one level would become comfortable, I would push myself with the next level of incline until I could do it for an hour. Then I'd increase it again. I melted away... walking. I did do some weight training too, but hurt my shoulder (then had to have an unrelated surgery) and had to stop for quite a while. I plan to resume weight training again soon. Hang in there, and good luck!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Today. The most important and often the hardest thing is to just start.

What he said.