Wrapping body during a workout to shed more pounds...?

Options
A friend told me that I should wrap my body in saran wrap, or ace bandages to shed the pounds quicker, but this did not seem like a bright idea to me, so....any suggestions on that? Would I really be shedding the pounds faster or just dehydrating myself?

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you can dehydrate and pass out doing this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    OMG I can't believe people believe this.......................Okay you will lose water weight from sweating. Maybe a pound if you work hard. But as soon as you drink water, it will come back. Now is it fat weight or water weight you want to lose?
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Jockeys do this to drop weight quickly...most use trash bags. You just have to be careful about your water intake.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    :laugh: You will lose water weight if you work out in plastic gear. Wrestlers commonly do it to meet weight for ranking. But.. its so unhealthy.

but wrapping yourself in seran wrap.. sorry.. the image is f'n hilarious.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I heard aluminum foil works better.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    It'll all be water weight. Wrestlers did this in HS all the time for weigh in --- you gain it all back as soon as you drink water. It's just like when they spit into a cup all day (gross) all just gets rid of water for VERY short term loss on the scale only - none of it is real.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

and get in a oven! Like a baked potato! :noway:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

When you sweat it rusts. That adds resistance. True story.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I remember it in "Booty Call".
  • kimmermcb
    kimmermcb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OMG I can't believe people believe this.......................Okay you will lose water weight from sweating. Maybe a pound if you work hard. But as soon as you drink water, it will come back. Now is it fat weight or water weight you want to lose?
    I didn't believe it, wrapping=sweat. sweat= water. I just didnt know if anyone has ever done this and benefited from this.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

LOL!!!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    That's a temporary weight loss consisting of dropping water weight only. It is not a permanent solution. Unless you are trying to make a fitness show or some other competition where you need to weigh in...I wouldn't do it. It'll come right back once you rehydrate.
  • kimmermcb
    kimmermcb Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I remember it in "Booty Call".
    Does sound quite funny.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

it's not the best idea, boxers wear a sweat suit to shed a few pounds before a weigh in but as soon as you have a drink you put back all the fluid lost anyway. The other danger of a sweat suit is that you lose salts and minerals from your body that must be replaced otherwise you might get severe cramps etc.

Hope this helps

Scott.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You lose water weight; alot of fighters do this. You dont actually lose weight, you just shed unneccasary water weight pounds to beable to make weight, like a fighter would have to. As soon as you drink water again youll gain the weight right back
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    hm. i would suggest working out and wrapping your body in.... wait for it... WORK OUT CLOTHES! lol- dont fall for any crazy "weight loss secrets" like this. you are already on a great site for weight loss- just eat better and work out! good luck to you! :)
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have seen one guy doing something similar, put a trash bag over his tee-shirt and was running (and we are in Florida, way over 90 that day).
    Please don't do that we are sweating because it is our body's way to cool off. avoiding the heat to escape set you up for a heat stroke....

Losing weight is hard work, any easy or fast solution will eventually fail so don't fall for it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I didn't believe it, wrapping=sweat. sweat= water. I just didnt know if anyone has ever done this and benefited from this.
    Didn't mean you............I meant your friend.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Competitive Bodybuilders will dehydrate the day of the show. After the show it's NOT unheard of to put on 20lbs of water weight back on.