Budget???

Options
How do most people diet on a really small budget? I need help with this from the beginning so I don't go into debt trying to look and feel good.

Replies

• youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    Go for cheap healthy foods - rice, frozen veges (seem to be way cheaper than fresh), seasonal or homegrown fruit & veges, wholegrain bread (usually same price as white but better for you), beans. And of course smaller portions are also cheaper
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you are near a Krogers go in looking for the "Manager's Specials" markdowns, especially in the produce section.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    One word...Coupons!! I do find that most coupons are for unhealthy processed crap, but use them for things like soap, cleaning supplies etc. Then you can use your savings for healthy food. I've saved over $4,000 in 4 months for my family of 7.
    They aren't for everyone but that's what works for me :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pick your own farm or farmers markets - that is the best place to get cheap, flavorful, more nutrient dense, local and sustainable fruits and vegetables.

If you have to shop the grocery store, buy what is on sale as this is what is in season and buy frozen vegetables.

Meats, shop in the early morning as this is when they do mark downs and you can get awesome deals on meats they must sell due to the package date, which you can take home and throw in the freezer.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Excercise a lot...its' what I do :P I can't afford healthy, so I buy same a always, limit my quantities and excercise a lot.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Go for cheap healthy foods - rice, frozen veges (seem to be way cheaper than fresh), seasonal or homegrown fruit & veges, wholegrain bread (usually same price as white but better for you), beans. And of course smaller portions are also cheaper

Everything she said! Shop for sales on lean proteins. I stock up whenever a find a good BOGO. I also buy a lot of dried beans/non-instant rice/dried barley/etc. The beans just take a little planning ahead!
  • JennCLHowell
    JennCLHowell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    agree about the veges, frozen are just as good and half the price usually - Our local shop sells massive sacks of potatoes for a pound or so more than what supermarkets charge for 1kg...

Also I have recently found meal planning useful... At the beginning of the week I sit down and work out exactly what the menu is going to be for the rest of the week, ie spag bolognese monday, vegetable curry tuesday... I then right a complete shopping list of everything I need for those meals and stick to it... certainly saves money because I dont buy crap that will only sit in the cupboard a month!!!

Also, if im buying tins of food etc I go for the value label, who can actually tell the difference between tesco's own and heinz? lol

Hope this helps
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Ramen.lol I add veggies to it though because otherwise I am still hungry. I also eat eggs (cheap generic kind even if I want the organic) Also Pita with generic hummus and cucumbers. The pita and stuff with a cup of hot tea really fills me up. (-:
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I honestly go to shop and salvage stores and find great deals on foods that are frozen foods for a great price and there are coupons on line that you can save money on also. Honestly it is does take time to find good deals to make your budget work for you. Have a great journey!!

Great advice Bobby!!
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets, local produce saves a ton!
  • annadilynn
    Options
    someone mentioned rice...be careful with that one...depending on the rice 1/2 a cup can be almost 200 calories....we are on a limited budget, I have found that fish is cheaper than red meat...and chicken is pretty cheap too...ground turkey is awesome on a diet and tons cheaper than ground beef!...canned tuna is my lunch time friend...cheap and awesome for you...on a bed of lettuce it is satifying and tasty...i cut up a stalk of celery and put in it for crunch...and if you are tuna lover..try a tablspoon of sweet relish mixed into your salad with it...its yummy :0)
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Coupons are your friend :smile: I manage to save us about $10 by going through the paper. Also if you shop at Walmart, they do ad matching. Bring in the ad that shows somewhere else has the product at a lower cost and they match it. The last time we went shopping I saved us about $20 doing 10 minutes of ad search. Good luck!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It is heartbreak how them less food value something has the less it costs :( I have however come up with a few cost saving measures that have helped me be kind to my wallet as well as my body:

1. Eat in season - fresh tastes best and is less expensive
    2. Buy in bulk (especially when things are on sale) and freeze, can, etc the extra
    3. Pick your own. Not sure where you live or if you have access to pick your own fruit and veggies but you can save a TON of cash by picking your own and freezing the rest
    4. Shop the sales. Plan ahead before you go shopping, make sure the you know where all the best deals are.
    5. Eat semi-veggie. Meat is EXPENSIVE!!! So go to town on fruit, veggies and good carbs. There are lots of good high-protein, vegetarian/vegan recipes online.
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree. Frozen veggies, and whole grain things are cheep and easy. I always look for things that say low salt, too. They cost the same and are better for you.
    I go once or twice a month to Whole Foods and my local farmer's market to pick up some fresh things, but don't splurge on them for every meal of every day.
    When I find something on sale, I stock up. You can always cook and freeze things to use in the future.
  • annadilynn
    Options
    oh and i forgot...spagetti squash will cost you about the same as a box of spagetti...and it is way good with your marinara on it :0) instead of pasta...and sooooooo much better calorie wise...
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Pulses!!! Red lentils, chickpeas, beans, any of that stuff you can buy en masse and it doesn't expire for a looooong time. Full of protein. I have found no downside. Well maybe just know what you want to use the night before if those ingredients need soaking overnight. Also cous cous is wonderful! Ready in 5 minutes, low calories and extremely cheap! Throw in some raisons and its a great snack!
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    Options

I agree, rice and frozen vegi's are great. I also buy canned food, like green beans, tuna fish, and black beans. Our local grocery store sells huge boxes of chicken tenders...maybe you can find something like that. Lunch meat can also be a great source of protein as well as cottage cheese.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned rice...be careful with that one...depending on the rice 1/2 a cup can be almost 200 calories....we are on a limited budget, I have found that fish is cheaper than red meat...and chicken is pretty cheap too...ground turkey is awesome on a diet and tons cheaper than ground beef!...canned tuna is my lunch time friend...cheap and awesome for you...on a bed of lettuce it is satifying and tasty...i cut up a stalk of celery and put in it for crunch...and if you are tuna lover..try a tablspoon of sweet relish mixed into your salad with it...its yummy :0)

Just be careful with canned meat of any type. They use sodium as a preservative.
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan your meals. I didn't do this very well before I started on MFP and used to throw away an embarrassing amount of food because I didn't eat it in time! Now I hardly throw any away. Another tip if you can afford initially is to buy bigger packs of fresh fish / chicken and freeze in individual bags. This is far cheaper than buying small packs.

Whatever you do, try to avoid getting sucked into the deals of unhealthy food items. I know it may be te,pting if there's a really good deal but you'll only regret it in the end.

Good luck.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Here are some foods I turn to on a tight budget:

-Lentils
    -Quinoa
    -Brown Rice
    -Chicken breasts
    -Tilapia
    -Frozen vegetabls
    -Corn tortillas
    -Oatmeal
    -Almond Breeze

Finding foods that are versatile is really important. I lik quinoa in soup and sometimes I even use it as a rice replacement. The bulk foods section is a very important part of my grocery store journey. Frozen vegetables are extremely important, especially on a budget and with little time.