Spaghetti Squash

Options
Italianant
Italianant Posts: 18 Member
I got myself a small spaghetti squash at the farmers market. I typically use regular pasta sauce and ground turkey but I wanted to ask the MFP world if you have any great recipes I can use it in?

Replies

• Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Great question! I generally use it with a meat & tomato sauce too. I'd love to see what others do.

One trick I like with the squash is to wring it dry in a clean dish towel - that way it doesn't make my plate and sauce all watery.

Same goes for frozen chopped spinach, btw. :)
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Bump!
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Great question! I generally use it with a meat & tomato sauce too. I'd love to see what others do.

One trick I like with the squash is to wring it dry in a clean dish towel - that way it doesn't make my plate and sauce all watery.

I haven't made spaghetti squash yet - do you wring it out after cooking? I think you cook it in 1/2s - so I guess you would have to.
  • Italianant
    Options
    I haven't but now I will based on the post above! Thanks!
  • Italianant
    Options
    I just found this... not sure what I think of it!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/detail.aspx
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I haven't made spaghetti squash yet - do you wring it out after cooking? I think you cook it in 1/2s - so I guess you would have to.

Yes. I usually cut it in half and either bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet (cut side down), or just zap it in the microwave. I prefer the oven in the winter - it warms the house too. :)

Once it's fork-tender, scoop and shred the threads of squash-flesh with a fork, and turn it onto a dish towel. Let it cool a wee bit so you don't burn yourself, then wrap it into a bundle and twist the towel until it's as dry as you can get it.

Um... oh... and I learned this part the hard way... make sure to choose a lint-free towel. :D
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This is a great recipe for Spaghetti Squash and it's a nice change from red sauce and meat (I'm vegetarian so I'm always looking for something different).

Creamy Herbed Spaghetti Squash

Halve 1 spaghetti squash and remove seeds
    Spray with olive oil light cooking spray and bake face down on cookie sheet until tender 375* approximately 45 minutes, check to see if it's fork tender, then it's done (Baking prevents it from being watery and adds a nice flavor)
    Remove spaghetti from skin and place in a bowl

Heat a large skillet on medium, spray with light olive oil cooking spray
    Sautee 2 cloves of minced garlic until golden
    Add in 1/2 c. Philly creamy herb cooking cream
    Add 2 T water if spaghetti squash is dry
    Add 4-6 leaves torn Basil
    Add cooked spaghetti squash and heat until warmed
    Garnish with fresh Italian Parsley

Makes 4 servings
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump to look at later.. I have a small one sitting here waiting to be eaten
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is a great recipe for Spaghetti Squash and it's a nice change from red sauce and meat (I'm vegetarian so I'm always looking for something different).

Spray with olive oil light cooking spray and bake face down on cookie sheet until tender 375* approximately 45 minutes, check to see if it's fork tender, then it's done (Baking prevents it from being watery and adds a nice flavor)

Makes 4 servings

Oh, that sounds delish, I have a spaghetti squash on my counter, I might try this recipe this week!
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    bump
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I served spaghetti squash with shrimp scampi:

http://recipes.menshealth.com/Recipe/two-minute-shrimp-scampi.aspx

Very Yummy!!!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    l like to mix a tablespoon of pesto (jarred) with some yogert. I love spagetti squash.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My daughter makes it with ricotta cheese and pine nuts!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've always done it in the microwave, but never found it to be wet or watery... Now I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Hmm. Otherwise, I like it with some pasta sauce and a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesan. Totally cures my pasta cravings.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love it grilled with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. I've also seen it grilled with butter and garlic. This year I'm gonna nuke it for ten minutes before putting it on the grill.
  • cambam84
    cambam84 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Makes 4 servings

This sounds delicious!!!! I am definitely going to have to try this one. I'm a big spaghetti squash fan so a new twist is perfect!
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!