Pros and cons of intermittent fasting.

Options
2»

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if you like to eat big meals or if you have problems with snacking throughout the day, IF can be very helpful. The downside is your eating schedule is more restrictive.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What I want to tell you is that my period stopped half a year ago. I don't know if it's due to IF but I've heard that it can affect hormones in women. I've consulted a doc about it who has diagnosed me with something else though.

Was your body fat particularly low? Was your calorie deficit extra low? Those also cause women to lose their periods.

I've lost mine a few times. One was eating 1200 calories a day while I was still almost 40% body fat. One was close to my first bodybuilding competition because of low body fat and low calories.

I don't know about my BF percentage unfortunately, but I don't believe it was low. I ate quite low fat at the time my period stopped and I think that also played a role.
    Now I eat around 1400 kcal a day, I'm considering upping my calories and I will soon go into maintenance anyway, so I hope with more calories comes the cure of my problem.

I just wanted to mention it as IF might have contributed too and it's maybe just something women new to IF should think about before starting.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    In the very beginning I felt a little weak/dizzy in the mornings, especially if I were to exercise straight away. As long as you listen to your body and eat if you need to (I ate an apple one morning and felt guilty because I broke my fast early and then realized how absolutely ridiculous I was being) then it can work very well.

I need to get back to IF, I was dropping body fat faster that way.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've been debating on doing this...

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

That web site doesn't advocate intermittent fasting; instead it advocates a prolonged liquid fast. The major problem there is that it ignores simple human biology. You can't get essential fats and essential amino acids from the water and sugar that the fluid of liquefied vegetables provide. In fact, since you won't be eating the pulp; you won't get any fiber either.

Liquid diets are a gimmick that companies who manufacture juicers love to push and because it is extreme (extremely deficient) people will of course lose weight. The vitamins in the vegetables are not fuel nor is the small bit of sugar they provide, efficient or sufficient fuel. You can't rebuild skin, muscle, hair, etc. on vitamins; you need essential amino acids for that. Stay away from gimmick diet fads and buckle up for a slow yet steady, healthy caloric deficit with a more well balanced diet. Liquid diets are not sustainable and are unhealthy.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Pros and Cons of IF? Considering the idea is to eat within a certain time frame, i.e. 16/8 (16 hr fast and 8 eating hrs) then the issues are properly planning your eating windows for when you actually have time to eat and dealing with hunger during your fasting. If you don't do well with the feeling of hunger; if you kick your dog because you can't eat that cookie or punch your husband in the face because he damn well doesn't understand how hungry you are, then no... it's not for you. It's for people who are disciplined and more importantly, won't get emotional and crazy because they just need to have that cheeseburger or anything because they're HUNGRY!

I've been doing IF for over a year. It's easy for me since my life isn't about obsessing over my next meal. Also, keep in mind the time frame doesn't have to be 16/8, it can be 12/12 or 10/ 14 or whatever the hell you want to try. The IF police will not show up at your door to hand you an "inappropriate fasting time frame" fine to pay.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you don't do well with the feeling of hunger; if you kick your dog because you can't eat that cookie or punch your husband in the face because he damn well doesn't understand how hungry you are, then no... it's not for you. It's for people who are disciplined and more importantly, won't get emotional and crazy because they just need to have that cheeseburger or anything because they're HUNGRY!

I've never experienced hunger doing IF (16/8) and I don't know many people who stick with it who get super hungry during the fasting period. I get that some people might get super hungry skipping breakfast or not eating from waking to sleep and I would say that it's probably not for them. Plus, just like you said there is no absolutes with it. If someone is doing intermittent fasting and needs some food during the fasting time it's not like they HAVE to suck it up and stay hungry. That's asinine.