Serious question about lips turning blue during cardio

Options
Okay, this is weird for me, and I'm going to talk to my trainer about it the next time I work with him, but I thought I'd post here and see what you fine people have to say. I teach bodystep, so high impact. I used to be able to really push my heart rate (up into the 190's) but I haven't been able to get it really up that far in quite some time, highest is 185 or so. Anywho, being an instructor means that I turn my back to the mirror most of the time. So tonight I turned my back to the class to make it easier for them to follow. My legs are going out and getting tired, I look at myself and my lips are a light purple. I taught last Thursday and after class glanced at myself in the mirror and thought "that's funny, if I didn't know better I'd say my lips were blue" and grabbed my stuff and left the room. So, what do you think? (other than I need to either talk to my trainer or a doctor)

Replies

• sugarlovebug
    sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would be calling your doctor first thing in the morning. thats never good when anything turns blue. It usually means a lack of oxygen.
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Call your Dr.

Oxygenation sounds like the issue and it could be related to your heart.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Okay, seriously not to freak you out, but if you google 'lips turning blue during exercise' the first hit is for Atrial Septal Defect: http://www.drugs.com/cg/atrial-septal-defect.html

Get thee to a doctor, stat.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Okay, seriously not to freak you out, but if you google 'lips turning blue during exercise' the first hit is for Atrial Septal Defect: http://www.drugs.com/cg/atrial-septal-defect.html

Get thee to a doctor, stat.

Looking this up actually made me feel a whole lot better becauseive had to have chest x rays and ekgs in the past and all have come up clean. I fully accept the fact that its oxygenation issue, supportexd by the fact that my legs got weaker then when I was smoking, I just can't figure out why all of a sudden its doing this.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Take it from a critical care nurse: definitely not normal. Stop the exercise and see a doctor.
  • ValgA
    ValgA Posts: 30
    Options
    I agree, stop what your doing and call your doctor. That's definitely not normal.
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wondering what the outcome was of this as my trainer has told me two times already that my lips were blue. I felt fine both times and don't think there's a problem, but I thought I'd google it just to see. I've also had an echo and everything was fine, although my thryroid levels were slightly elevated when I had it tested a few months ago. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it?
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    My friend has been telling me that my lips keep doing this, they tingle while they do this, but when I asked my doctor about it, I just got a brush off. I figured it was an issue with oxygen absorption during and post workout. I should probably check into it again. -_-
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Strangers on a message board aren't the first people I'd go to regarding a medical issue.

See your doctor.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Yep! agree with Dawn. STOP! and call you Doctor ASAP!!!!!!!!!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Take it from a critical care nurse: definitely not normal. Stop the exercise and see a doctor.

Ditto. Also check your fingernails are they blue too?
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    He said he's already been to the doctor.

So, now what? You guys aren't very helpful at all. You ignore what he's written and just go for the obvious. So, assume he's already been and everything checks out fine. Now what?
    umm no - he said he's been to the doctor IN THE PAST and scans were ok. This is apparently a NEW issue - and he should have it checked out by a professional ASAP.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    He said he's already been to the doctor.

So, now what? You guys aren't very helpful at all. You ignore what he's written and just go for the obvious. So, assume he's already been and everything checks out fine. Now what?

If at first you don't succeed...TRY A DIFFERENT DOCTOR!

It ain't normal for lips to turn blue, something NEW is wrong since the last time he spoke to his doc.
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    Hey, I looked up symptoms today on webMD, of the items listed, the most probable cause that is easy to address on your own is a B12 vitamin deficiency... apparently you need it to make red blood cells which are responsible for ferrying oxygen about your body. Also you may be low on iron intake. Try taking a daily vitamin to see if that makes a difference. See a doctor if it doesn't.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Why are you arguing over a post that is several years old?
    Seriously.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Seriously.

Good point I never noticed! Wonder what the outcome was?
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    Seriously.

It's unclear if people were arguing, however an answer is nice for others that may be experiencing similar issues. Even if the question is a few years old. I found it via an internet search as my doctor was pretty much blowing off the symptoms. To be clear, it looks like my problem with the blue lips post exercise was from too little vitamin B. :flowerforyou: