Do you post calories burned per mfp or your machine at the g

Options
Does the mfp calculation take into account your height and weight entered? It's always higher than what I show at the gym and I enter my weight and age on the elliptical. What do you think??

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    The gym is more accurate but if you're really worried, get an HRM with a chest strap.
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I believe it does take it into account. But I wear a HR monitor when I exercise and plug in those numbers into MFP.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I've wondered that myself, I'd like to see other people's responses.
  • brvanover
    Options
    It does take your weight into account. As you lose weight you'll notice it giving you lower calorie burns for the same exercise you used to get higher calorie burns on.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Calories shown by the equipment at the gym, but in my case MFP numbers are not that much different. I don't have a HRM.
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    id say get a hrm. i think thats the only way to really be sure
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think the MFP calories burned is terribly high. When I first started, I really thought I was burning a lot of calories based off what MFP was saying. When I got my HRM, there was a major difference...with my calories burned being much lower! Get a HRM, it is the only way to know for sure.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I use what the equipment says except for the weight machines, I use what MVP says
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    idk. i always use my HRM which is usually higher than any other numbers.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Also, check the search feature. :)
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    I use the MFP number in my calculations, its in between the machine and a online calculator I found for treadmill. The machine only shows about 150 calories for my 70 minute run so I know that is off, MFP gives me 515 (as walking 3.5 mph) and the calculator gives me close to 900. I have tried a few online calculators and they always come out around there. If I am really burning that many calories it just gets me there quicker but for my tracking I go with MFP.
    If you want to try the calculator I have been using http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/