strength training and results

Options
My workouts used to be mainly cardio.
For the past (almost) 2 months I've been focusing mainly on strength training.
How long did it take you to see results?
Like muscle definition and such...
I'm getting stronger and moving up my weights and I feel good but I haven't noticed a whole bunch of changes besides that.

Replies

• breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i keep my weights low and to more reps of each.
    how long do you train for?? are you still doing cardio. you gotta get rid of the fat before you can see best results?
    no expert but from exerpeience a mix of both is good and only about 2-3 strength training a week rest cardio and most improtantly, REST! :)
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    I lift as much as I possibly can until my muscle gives out. So high weights and low reps.
    I don't have a whole lot to lose...
    Maybe 10lbs.
    I do sprint intervals for cardio and I lift up to 90 mins daily.
    I train different parts of my body everyday so my other muscle groups get rest.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm getting stronger and moving up my weights and I feel good but I haven't noticed a whole bunch of changes besides that.
    You ARE seeing results! Body fat has to get pretty low to be able to really see the muscles.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My workouts used to be mainly cardio.
    For the past (almost) 2 months I've been focusing mainly on strength training.
    How long did it take you to see results?
    Like muscle definition and such...

Good for you that you're strength training. If you're in a calorie deficit don't expect to see major muscle growth but you can still expect to get stronger. Definition, seeing ab's, bi's etc really comes from proper diet, gotta' drop the fat to see the definition. You'll get there, keep up the hard work.
  • Marycan2
    Marycan2 Posts: 28
    Options
    One thing I found that helps in the past, is to measure my body areas...every 6 weeks or so.......I almost always saw a difference in those numbers!!!
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I've been doing cardio and circuit training with weights. I'm getting great results by doing both.
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    One thing I found that helps in the past, is to measure my body areas...every 6 weeks or so.......I almost always saw a difference in those numbers!!!

i need to start measuring instead of weighing myself. i just keep putting off buying a tape measure.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options

Pictures too! I measured but didn't see it in the mirror so I went back and looked at pics and really seen the difference.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I saw inches drop quickly but the muscle definition takes a while in my opinion depending on body fat % and how you are lifting. Took me about a year to actually "see" muscle development but it helped me trim down a lot initially
  • missa1982
    Options
    You are in an identical position to me...I have started weight training (about 4 weeks ago) and this has overtaken my cardio workouts, although I will still run once a week and do a session at the gym on the bike now and then. I really enjoy my new strength training regime, much more than doing just cardio. I too am not 'seeing' any results as such, however I feel so much stronger and more aware of the different parts of my body. My weight has slowed almost to a stop and I even had a few pounds gain. However, my clothes still feel the same, not any tighter, so what I am looking forward to is my assessment at the gym in 2 weeks time, where I will have all my measurements taken, including body fat %, and compared to 8 weeks prior. That I guess will tell me if I am making any progress.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Depends on your body type too. Muscle shows up pretty quick in my arms and chest, I have friends who are as strong as me but their muscles are not as "obvious" though.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you wont..it takes years to see any real changes..i've been 'bodybuilding' for over a year now, and i have results, but not like i want..it takes a lot of conscious effort for women to put on muscle. proper strict diet and heavy lifting.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    i keep my weights low and to more reps of each.
    how long do you train for?? are you still doing cardio. you gotta get rid of the fat before you can see best results?
    no expert but from exerpeience a mix of both is good and only about 2-3 strength training a week rest cardio and most improtantly, REST! :)

Weight training alone will burn all the body fat necessary. Incidentally...with the way she's lifting heavy...it'll do it far faster than a comparable cardio routine.

You do NOT need cardio to burn fat.

Period.

Keep up with your routine...it took about a month for my body to really respond...but when it did, I lost 30lbs more in less than 3mos...virtually all in fat.

With ZERO cardio.

Btw, for the record...I agree COMPLETELY on the rest. Rest is absolutely critical.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I can't stress the importance of resistance training enough, specially for women. It increases lean muscle mass which will tone and firm your body. Who wants to lose a significant amount of weight, then have a loose and untoned figure? Resistance training will also improve bone density on top of skeletal muscle.