Makeup - questions and chatter:

Options
2»

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Whats the best thing to use to clean brushes with =)

Yup, antibacterial dish soap is what I use!! About once a week to every couple of weeks.. make sure to not let too much water run down in to the handle area (I keep my brushed pointed down as much as possible) and lay flat to dry.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    I get brutal bags under my eyes, they're puffy and dark coloured. I get completely overwhelmed by the different products out there and have everything from powders to liquids to creams.... what works best?

Also what's the best way to match a colour... I always seem to get tricked into getting one too light and then I look like reverse raccoon highlighting my flaws.

Thanks!

Best way to match a color (foundation and concealer) is to go to a makeup counter. It's totally worth it, IMO. Go to the counter, ask the girl to match you, and have her put some on your cheek/chin area. Then go walk around the mall, even jump outside and look at it in daylight. If it's a good match and you like the way it looks, go back and buy it! Some drugstores let you buy stuff and return it, (Rite Aid used to), so if you're dead-set on drugstore foundation, you can always go that route. Personally, I'm a "splurge on good foundation" kind of girl.

As for the dark circles, definitely look for more liquid products for the undereye, I like to apply them to that area with a semi-fluffy brush instead of my fingers, too. I feel like it's more smooth that way. But, try both, because just like with fitness, it's different for everyone!
  • sonia2003
    sonia2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks MissKortney!! I need to get the crease and blending part down and just need to practise!

Oh, and for cleaning brushes, I also use a tiny bit of baby shampoo and it gets all the product out! Its great! And then I just lay the bruises down flat to dry!
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Thanks MissKortney!! I need to get the crease and blending part down and just need to practise!

Oh, and for cleaning brushes, I also use a tiny bit of baby shampoo and it gets all the product out! Its great! And then I just lay the bruises down flat to dry!

When I first started getting in to makeup I would put on my regular, kinda light makeup in the morning, and then in the evenings before my shower I would play around with darker colors, more dramatic eye shapes, heavy and cut creases ... because nobody was going to see me if I messed it up, and I was just going to wash it off soon anyway .. nothing was better for learning!!

Eventually I want to go to cosmetology school, but right now I have about a million other obligations to handle first.
  • sonia2003
    sonia2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I honestly think its better to practise on your own that taking the courses.

I have taken term 1, and there is another 2 terms but yes, they teach theory, but you still need to practise on your own. I think you are doing so well on your own as self-taught and thats how i learned the most, was reading, and practising!

you inspired me to practise again! I am going to practise some cut creases lol!!!
    THANK YOU1
  • infamousmk
    Options
    YAYAY!!!!! I definitely think practice makes such a difference with makeup!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the "here's my issue" and misskortney and the other ladies for the hints and tips! I've been so busy the last few days, I haven't had a chance to "catch up" on my MFP addiction. :) I'm learning by reading... and I'm definitely going to hit youtube. I've worn makeup ... not tons, but always some... since I was a teen, but I've never felt like I've done as good a job as I could. I don't like the "full on" makeup look - at least not for myself. I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I was going to some glam party, which I never do. But, I still see pics of "natural looking" faces and wonder "how do they accomplish that?" Maybe they are wearing more makeup than I think, just doing it well. Or, maybe they are all just still young and beautiful! :happy: When I was young, my aunts would tell me what a beautiful complexion I had, yadda, yadda. One even asked if I plucked my eyebrows to get them so "pretty"... I was maybe 12 and didn't even know what she was talking about! Safe to say, those days are long gone. :ohwell:
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Darlilama - have fun with it!! I have my tons of makeup days and my minimal makeup days, and they're all just fun - you can definitely pull off a natural and healthy look with a minimal amount of makeup!