No changes...

Options
Okay maybe I am being too hard on myself, which I tend to do a lot! It has been a little over a week since I"ve decided to take this get healthy (eat right and exercise) thing started. For the past week I have eaten under my calories AND have worked out at the gym for 6 of the 7 days (cardio and weight training) and I havent even lost one misley pound. Now am I being irrational and exspecting too much or is the weight training counterbalancing the weight loss, not that I think I'm lifting an overwhelming amount of weights, I'm not trying to get super buff just toned... any thoughts :/ if Im being irrational please tell me so, lol..Thanks :)

Replies

• DanielFischer
    DanielFischer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your weight at the same point in time and only once a week? Do you have a weight where you can measure the watercontent in your body?
    That could bring you some valuable information! :-)
    Also, try measuring the key figures that the fitness-app suggests (Eg. Neck, waist, hips, thighs), if you're loosing inches then you shouldn't care as much about your weight...
    /Daniel.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You are changing fat to muscle. if u check your measurements, i bet you would noticed you lost a inch here or there. For me, i always noticed that if i up'ed my work out, (Time wise) i had a hard time losing the first week as i was building at ton of muscle and that is a good thing. It will come. Also, make sure you do eat. if you are burning that many calories, if you don't eat, you body wont allow you lose fat. it's a balance of eating but not eating to much. you want to make your body a fat burning machine and you will. my guess is next week you will lose weight.
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    eating under your cals and working out that much just sabotages your efforts. you need to make sure you're fueling your body right in order to make it do its thing and shed the extra weight. not eating enough food is only slowing your progress instead of speeding it up.
  • jcwalrath
    Options
    It's possible that muscle building is preventing your weight from going down, but that's not a bad thing, because it will still mean that you are losing inches. I suggest keeping track of your measurements as well as weight to see this. In any case though, it's only been a week, so you'll need to give it more time before you start to worry at all.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    Since your food diary ins't open to us, I'm just going to throw out there that if you work out a lot and eat too far under your calorie goal you could put your body into starvation mode. You need to be fueling your body when you exercise :)
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you will find that you don't lose anything the first week but you will make up for that the second week. Keep up the hard work and if for some reason you don't see any numbers week 2 then there is something possibly going on with your diet/exercise regimen that isn't vibing with your body so you may want to consider trying a healthy detox to identify the problem areas. Good luck!
  • sjperez1218
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and info :) you all were very helpful, hoping to see some changes in the next few weeks. I will try not to get too nit-picky, lol...When I stated I was under calories, it wasn't too extreme, in my mind it was a healthy range, I do understand the affects of not eating enough while exercising at extensive amounts :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Some things to consider just from what I have learned:
    1. It's only been a week. You may not lose consistently week to week.
    2. You may have your weight loss goal set too high. For a twenty pound loss, you might want to set your goal at .5lbs/wk
    3. The goal isn't really to eat under your calories, but to eat as close to your NET calories as possible. Of course, you can leave room for some inaccuracies, but you should try eating at least half your exercise calories, depending on how close to your NET you are. It's okay to fool around with it to find what amount eaten works best for you (because the calorie counts and calories burned may not be completely accurate), but you need to be eating some of them back and getting close to your NET
    4. Supposedly, you're not building muscle in a calorie deficit, though you may be strengthening what you have? I think that's how it works when you strength train in a deficit. Though if you are doing some strength training apparently there may be some "water" weight type of gain temporarily as your muscles tear and rebuild, or something. (Note that I don't really get it -This is just what I have read here, so it is not even really my opinion, but has been stated by those on here much more knowledgeable than I, unless I'm not explaining it correctly. I don't really get it, mostly because I haven't read enough about it, but I'm not concerned with it right now as long as everything else I am doing is healthy and I continue to incude a small amount of strength training in, I'll learn more about it as I get closer to my goal weight). If you want to understand this stuff more, maybe try doing a site search because I'm sure I'm not really explaining it well at all.

Some links that may help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • zohars
    zohars Posts: 29
    Options
    The first week I lifted weights I gained at least 3 lbs, which was just crazy. Turns out if you're not used to it, your muscles will get swollen with water as they work on repairing themselves. It took me like 2-3 weeks to come back to normal, but it can apparently take up to a month. Also, don't worry about bulking up, feel free to lift as heavy as you want to, you don't have nearly enough testosterone to have that problem :)
  • currie_shawn
    Options
    The amount of weight you loose is a poor judge of progress. It is a laggining indicator that can be misleading. Muscle weighs more than fat. A bettere measure of progress is accurately calculated body fat percentage. Remember to get plenty of rest and not hit the gym everyday. Patience, I am confident that with plenty of excercise and a healthy diet you will eventualy see progress.
  • sjperez1218
    Options
    Again, all good tips...guess I'm just looking for it all to just be instantaneous - which I know can not happen. I keep reminding myself it didn't take a week to gain this weight so it for sure isn't gonna take a week to lose it all :) Sticking with it, just needed some reminding, as we all do.