Tendonitis is ruining my month.

Options
Okay, so here is the problem.

I have hereditary plantar fasciitis in my right foot. It is awful but in my new found craving to better myself, I have found ways to just work through the irritation and I know I will be okay.

However, a couple of months ago I was having issues with my 'good' foot as well. I went to the doctor and she told me that I have tendonitis and bone spurs. Okay, well that stinks but just another hurdle to overcome, right? I laid off it for a couple of days and it got better. Well last week Sunday the 21st of August, I started having problems again with my left foot (the good one). I knew that I had to back off the running and Zumba for a few days and it would just get better.

Well, here I am a week later and I am still hobbling around my house trying to will it to feel better. I can't run. I can't Zumba. I can't kickbox. I can barely chase my toddler around the house. I am so frustrated I don't even know what to do. I was able to suffer through Yoga today, but it doesn't exactly give me the burn that I am looking for right now. I am stalling big time on weight loss and starting to loose faith.

Someone please tell me there is something else I can do besides Ibuprofen and ice. :cry:

Replies

• kimmermcb
    kimmermcb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had tendonitis in my right wrist, and it kept me from doing alot. I had depo medrol injections every month for 6 months, it helped some, then I ended up having surgery on it:frown: Hopefully you can take care of it so you dont need surgery.
  • eorlvr79
    Options
    I had foot problems also and they convinced me to do cortisone shots. I wish I hadn't because it actually depleted away some of my tissue in my foot. I had a huge sunken in spot. Luckily after I changed jobs and could wear tennis shoes to work things got better for me. NOW I have a ganglion cyst on my knee. Had it removed once and the pain left. Lo and behold it grew back in 2 yrs. Guess they didn't get it all. I went to an outdoor mall today to do some routine shopping and just that amount of walking makes it hurt so much. I am on my feet all day at work, but standing in one place for the most part. I only wear good tennis shoes, and reef flip flops to keep my feet/knees from hurting too much, but believe me I know how you feel. It sucks! Some good vitamin supplements and joint complexes have helped me a lot. That and the chiropractor.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    YES Yes Yes! There is a lot you can do to rehab for plantar fascists and bone spurs. I developed plantar fascists and a bone spur last December playing tennis. Suffered for 6 MONTHS including seeing orthopedist and custom insoles. It was to the point I could hardly walk, let alone playing tennis. First I started doing water aerobics and swimming. Then Yoga which actually helped the most. I learned that stretching the calf muscles and foot exercises really helped. . In yoga we would be lying on our back with legs up in the air, first pointing and then flexing the foot. One instructor had us start with a tennis ball, standing and massaging out foot. Something else I learned to do at night, raise one leg and draw the alphabet out with your foot...lots of different small motions. For the burn I started spinning...burn a lot of calories and helps stretch that calf out. I am now playing tennis again and walking my dogs. I also invested in a really good pair of Brooks running shoes for walking. Good luck! I know it is awful.
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have heard horror stories with the cortizone shots in the feet...but I tell you when I had developed a neuroma in my left foot...it was totally my saving grace because before it i was unable to put any weight on it. I did have surgery to remove the neuroma but still have some pain...Try resting for a while.....really watch what your eating...and do UB lifting/cardio....Also...check with your dr. and see if He can prescribe "Mobic" for you...it is a much stronger anti-imflamatory that has helped me so much! You just have to be careful because you can't take motrin while Mobic! Keep Positve...I've delt with pain since my last baby was born and he is now 20 months...Just think the less you weigh the less stress and pain on your joints! Also...you may look into getting a better pair of tennis shoes...that could be a root to your problem!
  • libs41223
    libs41223 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have tendonitis in my right shoulder and I've been trying to figure out how to prevent another flare up. I'm a violinist and I need my shoulders in good working order. I've been working on strengthening the muscles around the tendons. I don't know what you would need to do in your foot but there must be some strength training you could do for it. I hope your pain subsides soon!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis in both feet. I wear supportive shoes so my feet don't hurt. I stick with Birkenstock & Earth and have no foot pain. I found a Birkenstock insole that I can put in/out of shoes. i keep it in my nike running shoes & I can speed walk & zumba w/o pain. My knees keep me from running :(

Its worth a try. I did to custom inserts first, much more expensive and the current shoes are pain free for less than half the cost. I had shots in my back a few years ago & i hope to never have shots like those again!

good luck!
  • Brittshae
    Options
    I have the same thing in my right foot as well. It doesn't hurt when I have on my running shoes, but it hurts when I wear flats. At night, I elevate my foot. I don't think there is anything else that can be done. I just deal with it and keep it movin!!
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara -

I have tendonitis and plantar fasciitis in both feet, so I know what you're going through! I have a couple thoughts...

Is the doctor you saw a podiatrist? If not, you should ask your regular physician to refer you to one. The podiatrist should be able to take molds of your feet and order you very specific inserts for your shoes. I did this about a year ago, and they have made a HUGE difference. (Shoe shopping has become a bit more of a pain - but I can also give you great recommendations for the best shoes to go with inserts)

Along with icing your foot, you should be giving your calf muscle a good stretch several times throughout the day. This will help keep the tendons and muscles in your foot (and there are a lot) from become incredibly tight, which causes pain and irritation.

For your plantar fasciitis, place a tennis ball under your bed - before you get into bed at night, and before you get out of bed in the morning, roll the ball around under your foot - this breaks up the adhesions under the skin and can relieve some of your pain.

Wear good tennis shoes most of the day. This can be a pain in the summer, and inside the house, but your foot needs the support to continue healing and maintain once it feels better.

Get a massage :) Aside from just being really wonderful and all around relaxing, massage - specifically on your injured feet and around the calf muscles - can break down harmful build up in the area and increase circulation to the area, which will repair the tendon. Be sure to ask your massage therapist ahead of time if they have experience with injury work, and be sure to tell them you are there specifically to work on your feet problems. Often times health clubs and chiropractic offices, (or individual massage offices) are better to go for these sorts of things than spas because of the injury experience level the therapist will have.

Be aware that resting the injury is vital to it's repair. I know that you want to jump back in to your activities, but many times people deal with the same injury for years because they jump back into things as soon as they feel better. Just because you don't feel all the pain anymore does NOT mean that the injury is completely healed. 'Doing nothing' while your body heals can be frustrating, but in the long run, it will be so much better than the back and forth of re-injuring yourself constantly.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions about anything, please let me know! And congrats on your 45 lb loss! That's awesome! I hope you heal quickly and continue your awesomely healthy life style!

jess
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Bump bump bump.

And I love you and know you will get through this! Xo :flowerforyou:
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going through. I have tendonitis in my left ankle area. I am wondering if other MFPs have used prescribed inserts and if they were helpful? I have yet to fill my prescription because I have heard mixed reviews and the inserts are very costly.
  • shereen62
    Options
    I saw a great podiatrist and they made custom otthotics for me and it took several months of wearing them everyday but that was almost 10 years ago and I havn't had a pain since.:smile:
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of tendonitis you have but I have chronic achilles tendonitis which means it flares up every so often (generally when I overtrain).

I've spent quite a bit of time with orthopedic surgeons and sports medicine doctors over the years (I've had this problem for at least 10 years) and this is the best rehab I've found to be me back into running/training in a short period of time (typically 10 days to 2 weeks -- again, though, I am always catching it at the first sign of ankle pain or stiffness).

I do a series of eccentric calf raises every day (most of the time with a backpack on with some books in it for weight -- but you can do it without weight). Here is a training video that I refer people to that is pretty close to what I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJPfzTHpbAM&feature=related

I also ice it and massage it. However, you should always do whatever your doctor says -- he/she knows your condition best. Good luck!
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing in my right foot as well. It doesn't hurt when I have on my running shoes, but it hurts when I wear flats. At night, I elevate my foot. I don't think there is anything else that can be done. I just deal with it and keep it movin!!

I second the advice to stay away from flats when you are hobbling around. I have some wedge-type flip flops that really help eliminate the pain when walking around the house. My dr. said definitely stay away from flats or bare feet when you are suffering from achilles tendonitis.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    All this talk about foot problems. Just within the last few weeks I've developed something strange with my left foot. Sometimes, when I'm stretching, it feels like my Achilles tendon is really tight, and it feels numb down to, and around, the bottom of my heel. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
  • sara_rose
    sara_rose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help everyone. I really appreciate the time you took to help me with my foot issues. There is lots and lots of really good info here for me. Thanks again.