Working out a good gym workout

Options
Hey gang,

I've started back at the gym in the last few weeks and have done my regular thing which generally involves this;

- 4 mins rowing to warm up

- 3 leg machines and 3 arm machines/weights with 15 reps, 3 sets done alternatively (a leg machine, an arm machine, a leg machine, etc...)

- 15 Situps on the fitball x 3 and 20 pushups x 3 done alternatively.

- 10 minutes on the bike.

My question is whether I should be focusing on certain areas more or if this broad spread of exercises will be good enough. I really just want to get rid of my gut to begin with so would mostly cardio be the best thing or is the mix of cardio and strength training ok?

Thanks for any tips

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Hey gang,

I've started back at the gym in the last few weeks and have done my regular thing which generally involves this;

- 4 mins rowing to warm up

- 3 leg machines and 3 arm machines/weights with 15 reps, 3 sets done alternatively (a leg machine, an arm machine, a leg machine, etc...)

- 15 Situps on the fitball x 3 and 20 pushups x 3 done alternatively.

- 10 minutes on the bike.

My question is whether I should be focusing on certain areas more or if this broad spread of exercises will be good enough. I really just want to get rid of my gut to begin with so would mostly cardio be the best thing or is the mix of cardio and strength training ok?

Thanks for any tips
    Good to go for now. Reassess later.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you don't work with free weights? I was always under the impression they were better; but I don't know where I heard that. ninerbuff may know the answer to that...
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You mean the barbells (I'm terrible with the lingo)? I use them too. Its usually the seated row arm machine or the pull down one then biceps curls followed by overhead lifts.
  • taniastuart
    Options
    Stability exercises are great - they help strengthen ankles and knees so you can go harder/faster/further with the cardio.

It's a good start, after 4-6 weeks of your routine increase your cardio, try for 15 mins to start and 30 mins to finish.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You mean the barbells (I'm terrible with the lingo)? I use them too. Its usually the seated row arm machine or the pull down one then biceps curls followed by overhead lifts.

Yes - free weights are just weights, like barbells, not machines. But again, it might not make a difference. I also wanted to add to your original question that they say that a combination of a good diet, cardio and ab exercises are all the ingredients to a good looking stomach. They also say that doing just one of those things will not improve your stomach - so the combination is the key.

I've found with my routine that just doing cardio wasn't cutting it, but adding strength training really took me to the next level - now I do more strength than cardio.