Has anyone been on depo?

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick question.

I was on depo for nine months have been off it for 2 months. I stopped due to weight gain (basically around my middle).

Just wondering if anyone has had success losing the weight they gained and how they did it?

Thanks

Replies

• wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I took the depo and didn't gain too much. maybe 5 lbs that whole year. It was gone within a month or 2 of stopping the shot
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for 9 months and have lost 27 pounds. Didn't do anything fancy; just watched my calories, worked out and drank lots of water.
  • k3lly89
    k3lly89 Posts: 67
    Options
    I've gained 11lb but it doesn't seem to want to come off :(
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know many have lost while on it and off of it. You may want Dr to check out hormone levels and what not. Depo did some nasty stuff to me due to my hormone sensitivity. I wish you the best, work hard on it and you WILL do it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I started depo and MFP at the same time, hasn't hampered me so far.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I gained about 15 pounds while I was using depo. I stopped taking it and lost the weight just doing my normal every day things (laundry, chasing children around etc)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I got to the highest weight in my life on depo - almost 30 pounds in a year. That, plus other side effects (spotting) and the inconvenience of having to make a doctor's appointment every three months finally got me to quit it. A lot of it just came off normally over the course of the next year; I don't really remember doing anything specific.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The first time in my life I ever had weight to lose was because of the depo. I gained 30 lbs. NOT good. The first 15 came off on their own in about a month. And the next 15 I had to work hard to get off. It took about 3 mths. I did cardio and pilates and ate really really good!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I have been on Depo since I was 18 and it was approved for use in the U.S. and I have lost all my weight while on it. I didn't see a difference when I went off it for a year weight wise but hormone/migraine wise I am much better on it.
  • k3lly89
    Options
    thanks i'll definitely do that :)
  • k3lly89
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully it will go :) will definitely talk to my doctor too.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    I've been on it since I was 14, and I haven't experienced any weight gain other than the one caused by my own bad habits
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for over 3 years when it was brand spanking new (ya, that long ago LOL). I did gain around 40 lbs, but I really may have anyways, I come from a long line of fatties and had just become roommates with my boyfriend. I would love to blame it all on the depo, but now know that I can't because i gained more long after I switched birth control methods. I had a tubal, so now what do I blame it on?

I definatly agree with asking your Doc if your concerned, they will be able to be more specific to your situation.
  • KaylaKilgore
    KaylaKilgore Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The first time in my life I ever had weight to lose was because of the depo. I gained 30 lbs. NOT good. The first 15 came off on their own in about a month. And the next 15 I had to work hard to get off. It took about 3 mths. I did cardio and pilates and ate really really good!

I also gained 30 in a year and to beat it all it happened after I got my last shot - sigh -. I still haven't lost it unfortunately
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I took depo for 2 years (05-07). I gained close to 60 pounds, which wasn't ENTIRELY due to just the shot, but my lifestyle didn't change that drastically.

In the years since depo, I have struggled to lose any of the weight. I've been relatively successful (so far) this time, but in the past, I would fluctuate 10-30 pounds easily. (I'm 6', so 20 pounds is hardly noticeable.)

While everyone here will tell you that all weight can be lost, I have heard rumors that weight gained from depo can be permanent. Apparently, it can change where your body's happy, balanced weight is - the weight your body wants to be. Not entirely sure if that's true or not. It's seemed to be the case for me, but that's anecdotal at best.

But yeah, depo is terrible stuff. Infertility as a side effect? No thanks chief. Also, I haven't been able to conceive since going off the shot. We haven't been seriously TTC like watching the calendar and planning our sex life around ovulation, but you'd figure that in 4 years something would happen. I'm trying not to worry about that too much until we actively start trying.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    People have *very* different reactions to it. It's great for some people I guess, but it was terrible for me.
  • jessrademacher
    jessrademacher Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The main way Depo-Provera causes weight gain is by increasing hunger (although some hormonal factors play a role as well). That desire to eat more sticks around even after stopping Depo, which is why it takes some work to lose the weight. That's the bad news, but good news is that MFP is a good friend in this case! Calorie counting will help to to curb overeating.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I heard depo does cause weight gain, certain birth control pills do as well as they are also hormonal. I went off one brand because they made me gain weight (wanted to eat more) and I couldn't lose any weight, despite changing my diet and exercise. They also made my blood pressure very high. It might take a couple months for your body to adjust. It was a little while after I stopped those pills until I could lose weight
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    HATED IT!!!

Migraines every week, incredible mood swings. Unsure about weight gain ... urgh, never again.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    After 4 years of having no trouble on Depo what-so-ever.... I suddenly gained 40-ish pounds.......

..........because I was pregnant.