Pushing yourself harder, just so you can eat.

brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
I would like opinions. I see people a lot asking questions here that if they do such and such an exercise, how many calories will it burn, and will it be enough to eat [insert food here.] I personally don't see the point of pushing yourself during a workout, just to be able to have a food that otherwise you wouldn't eat. I'm not against cheating. I had an entire cheat day today, actually! But to me, it just seems silly to say, I'm going to go for a 20 minute walk, and then I will have burnt enough calories to have an entire bag of chocolates (yes, I am exaggerating.) Fact of the matter is, whether you have the calories to do so or not, it's probably an unhealthy idea to exercise specifically with the thought of eating more in mind. Does anyone agree? Disagree? I'd like to know why you disagree, if so, please. I'm really interested in hearing what others think about this one :)
Since apparently this is being too read into, I am not trying to knock others for doing so. Heck, if you make a vaild point you might even change my mind about. I just don't find it to be a very healthy habit. Just because you disagree does not mean I am knocking anyone for it. Thank you. :]

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    I don't workout to eat, because I hit macros, not calories. I only log workouts so I can see what I am doing, not to gain more calories to eat. I am on a set number of carbs, protein and fat intake, so it doesn't matter how many calories I burn. And, I don't have cheat days, because as long as I hit my macros, I allow myself anything I want.

Sadly, this ends next week for two months...... <sigh>
  • I figure... if I'm craving whatever naughty thing I'm craving... it's better to exercise hard to balance it out than to end up over my calories because I didn't. *shrug* If it doesn't work for you-fine, but why knock others for it?
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Well right now I feel like I haven't eaten all day, and I had a sub for lunch one hour ago... I was literally JUST thinking, if I go to gym again tonight after work (I went this morning) I can have something to eat in the next hour or so to tide me over before dinner, without going over my cals.

I may be irrational because I'm hungry, but seriously, I think I might die if I cant eat anything for another five or so hours.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    I totally disagree with the idea of that. Ppl who do that are not in it for the long haul as soon as they stop counting cals they are going to put the weight back on. I join MFP to help with a lifestyle change and yes I still eat carbs and chips but now i eat only a serving and I also eat wholegrains and veggies on daily basis
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    I did the spinathon at the ymca and burnt 2567 calories so I could have a slice of pizza guilt free .......
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    That is not why I exercise, personally. I try to stay under my 1200 calorie a day goal and the benefit that I look at with the exercising and food is when I go over those 1200 with the "healthy" foods I choose to eat in a day. I just can't see sweating my butt off on my treadmill and then sticking something unhealthy in my mouth before OR after. To me, that would be more of a maintaining issue than actually trying to shed pounds. I am here to lose my extra unwanted weight, not exercise and then feed my face. That is just me though. I did have a dark chocolate candy bar yesterday..... I am not a complete healthy eater and I won't claim to be, but I won't exercise JUST TO have a candy bar or anything else.
  • Mitchlou84
    Mitchlou84 Posts: 135
    Hmm I definitely don't do what you're saying there and just eat chocolate to the value of my exercise calories. So I know what you mean.

I do exercise a lot though and am much happier on a day where I have say eaten 1800, burned 1000 than just eating 1200 and not exercising. Limiting my food too much makes me miserable.

I am lightly active outside of exercise and have set my loss to 1lb a week so I get 1700. I tend not to eat my exercise calories, except if I'm hungry or got a big night out planned! However it is nice if one day I'm netting like 800 and my bf offers me a fancy glass of winhe or some chocolate and you can accept guilt free.

I wouldn't be still dieting if I couldn't have the occasional treat!
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    I'm a foodie. I love good food. Not all good food is low calorie food. Roquefort cheese for example. I LOVE blue cheese! If I had to give up the foods I like I would never be able to lose and/or maintain my weight. So, I exercise enough to allow myself the foods I like. And eat those high calorie foods in moderation. I also watch my carbs and fat levels and do my best to keep those in check.

But, why should I have to justify why I eat what I eat and why I exercise a certain amount? Each person is different. There is nothing positive in criticizing others about who they are and why they do what they do.
  • I would like opinions. I see people a lot asking questions here that if they do such and such an exercise, how many calories will it burn, and will it be enough to eat [insert food here.] I personally don't see the point of pushing yourself during a workout, just to be able to have a food that otherwise you wouldn't eat. I'm not against cheating. I had an entire cheat day today, actually! But to me, it just seems silly to say, I'm going to go for a 20 minute walk, and then I will have burnt enough calories to have an entire bag of chocolates (yes, I am exaggerating.) Fact of the matter is, whether you have the calories to do so or not, it's probably an unhealthy idea to exercise specifically with the thought of eating more in mind. Does anyone agree? Disagree? I'd like to know why you disagree, if so, please. I'm really interested in hearing what others think about this one :)

I do not see what's the issue here. Till one burns more so that he or she could eat what and how much he likes - and assuming that its healthy and remains within the net calorie needs - I see no reason why one can't do that.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    I don't workout to eat, because I hit macros, not calories. I only log workouts so I can see what I am doing, not to gain more calories to eat. I am on a set number of carbs, protein and fat intake, so it doesn't matter how many calories I burn. And, I don't have cheat days, because as long as I hit my macros, I allow myself anything I want.

Why? Is that because of the competition or something else, if you don't mind me asking?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    I don't exercise solely for the purpose of earning more calories--I do it for all of the positive benifits. However, I do admit that if I know I will be going out to eat or for drinks I make sure to burn some extra calories that day. I guess I don't see the problem with that--it's about a lifestyle change--I know I will still have occassions where I am going to eat more than 1200 calories in a day, so I need to be more active in order to accomodate those calories if I want to continue to lose weight.

It sounds like what you are talking about is if someone exercises just to be able to pig out, which I never do--even when I have the calories to spare, I still practice portion control and try to make the healthiest choices given the situation.
  • somdays I do that, some I don't. I figure if I have a really bad craving I'd rather work for it than try to push it back and possibly end up making worse choices or binging cause I'm still learning balance. And somedays, espically TOM, that extra 20-30 min work out is worth the chochlate or pizza I'm craving. I'm in for the long haul, but I also don't want to give up everything I love to eat cause then I"ll never stick with it. I don't do cheat days, If I want something I find a way to either fit it in or earn it
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Not everyone is working out to eat extra BAD food though, I am happy to work out extra to eat a banana or muesli bar or yogurt or something!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    I'm a foodie. I love good food. Not all good food is low calorie food. Roquefort cheese for example. I LOVE blue cheese! If I had to give up the foods I like I would never be able to lose and/or maintain my weight. So, I exercise enough to allow myself the foods I like. And eat those high calorie foods in moderation. I also watch my carbs and fat levels and do my best to keep those in check.

But, why should I have to justify why I eat what I eat and why I exercise a certain amount? Each person is different. There is nothing positive in criticizing others about who they are and why they do what they do.

You had a very valid point there. But then you said I'm criticizing others. I'm not. I personally said I find it a bit silly, but I didn't say any one person was silly.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Usually on my exercise days I have more calories than I know what to do with, although I manage to usually still get within 1-200 of goal, if not closer. So definitely no doing it for the extra food for me really...I eat after to fuel my muscle recovery.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Not everyone is working out to eat extra BAD food though, I am happy to work out extra to eat a banana or muesli bar or yogurt or something!

Oh I know! That's not what this post was specific to, it was specific to the bad foods :) Apparently though I'm "criticizing" people and being negative. Whatever. People will read into just about anything to start drama on the forums :laugh:
  • I do like to work out hard if I know I'm going to a restaurant, and it's unavoidable. Or lets says I'm giving myself a cheat day, and I'd like to go over a little. It also keeps me accountable. I don't do it very often, but I think for some people it's kind of a relief to know that exercising more means they get to eat more. I know on days where I'm starving I feel that way!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member

Why? Is that because of the competition or something else, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all. Yep, for my competition. Those newfound abs of mine were a lot of hard work and dedication. Whoever said "abs are made in the kitchen" wasn't joking. Most of my dedication came from adjusting my nutrition and watching what I eat. I recently upped my carbs and protein and decreased my fat intake so my strength training should start showing more defined muscles. Next week I cut out alcohol until after the show.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    I do like to work out hard if I know I'm going to a restaurant, and it's unavoidable. Or lets says I'm giving myself a cheat day, and I'd like to go over a little. It also keeps me accountable. I don't do it very often, but I think for some people it's kind of a relief to know that exercising more means they get to eat more. I know on days where I'm starving I feel that way!

Very solid point there. I suppose I do the same if I know I'm going out to eat/want to go out to eat. I guess I should clarify that there isn't anything wrong with doing so every now and again, but there seem to be a lot of people that do it almost every day, almost as if it's their sole reason for working out. To me, it seems like a bad habit, but to others it doesn't. I just wanted to find out why some people do it :) Thanks for the response!
  • brittanyjeanxo

I don't mind at all. Yep, for my competition. Those newfound abs of mine were a lot of hard work and dedication. Whoever said "abs are made in the kitchen" wasn't joking. Most of my dedication came from adjusting my nutrition and watching what I eat. I recently upped my carbs and protein and decreased my fat intake so my strength training should start showing more defined muscles. Next week I cut out alcohol until after the show.

Well, you're certainly a hot momma now, so it looks like you're already well on your way! :) That sucks you have to cut out alcohol, though. But, it's only temporary :)
This discussion has been closed.