Zumba? Seriously?

Options
I am in Challenge September, and I want to do a vigourous exercise everyday for 30 days, in a bid to get fit and get toned...
I hear so much about Zumba, but I can't dance to save my life....seriously I look like someone have an epiletic fit.

Can anyone tell me, have they used it, have they seen results and if you can't dance, can you still get results?? I was going to buy th Wii Zumba DVD that was all, but not if it's crap.

Replies

• wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i haven't done zumba. my thought is if you can do any other dance exercise video and keep up you should be ok. it isn't making up your own dance, it is following the dance steps of someone else. a friend of mine goes to class and loves it!! she doesn't need to lose weight, but was just looking for a different type of class cause she was getting bored. Good luck!
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I swear by it. I have lost almost all my weight so far with Zumba.

I like going to the classes but it does take a few classes to learn the moves.

I also have the Kintect game which I enjoy 1000 times more then the Wii verizon. The Wii is so fustrating holding the remotes while dancing. While the Kintect tracks your total body movement.

Though the Wii will be just as a effective if you push your self. I mean if you cheat and just swing the arms for the motion obviously you won't get the results like you would with the total body reconigition.

Normally I burn about 100 cals every 10 mins. It is a good workout
  • Piglet_26
    Piglet_26 Posts: 104
    Options
    I've wanted to try Zumba classes but i'm quite shy so instead I thought about getting the game for the Xbox Kinect but was put off by the terrible reviews. Instead i'm sticking with Dance Central, not advertised as a 'work out' game but its a good laugh and gets ur body moving :)
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    i love zumba ... its dead easy , and to be honest , it isnt about getting the moves right .. its about working up a sweat without feeling like yr doing a boring exercise class.. which in my opinion it does brilliantly ... i average about 500 calories in an hour class , including warm up n cool down .. and have def changed shape and improved fitness levels .. go for it .. ( tho in my opinion it isnt gonna be quite so much fun on yr own ... i would brave it and go to at least one class a week ) no one is watchin you .. theyre all to busy trying to get steps right themselves :) !
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try Zumba classes but i'm quite shy so instead I thought about getting the game for the Xbox Kinect but was put off by the terrible reviews. Instead i'm sticking with Dance Central, not advertised as a 'work out' game but its a good laugh and gets ur body moving :)

Dance Central is not even half the workout of Zumba. It is also not continous.. Not recommended at all for workout use
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    zumba is fun. So what if you 'think' you look stupid. You are one up on the people who are still on the couch.

Just move, that's the whole point, and give it time, and you'll be able to move your body the way they can.
  • Piglet_26
    Piglet_26 Posts: 104
    Options

Dance Central is not even half the workout of Zumba. It is also not continous.. Not recommended at all for workout use

Like I said it isn't advertised as a work out game.

For me I use it as I struggle with the more slightly intense work outs due to health issues so for me this is getting me up and moving outside of my daily routine. It may not be for everyone but its better than sitting on ur *kitten* all day.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Zumba is super duper fun! Whether its on the wii/xbox or your in a proper zumba lesson with lots of other people =)

I do 45 mins of zumba everyday i burn around 500 cals! And it makes u proper sweat!

I know u may feel paranoid dancing infront of others, i totally understand! but at the end of the day they are all there for the same reason - too loose weight and keep fit! At least your doing something about it, and not just sitting on your *kitten* all day and been a lazy bum =) like some big people are around where i live! Anyway i highly doubt that when u go to a zumba class people that are dancing away will critisize you anyway, they will be too busy huffing and puffing than to be making sarcy remarks about you :). id say give a zumba class a bash! You may love it, you may not. But you wont know untill youve tried it :). Try standing at the back - it will help you to feel less paranoid. Or dance next to somebody who is bigger than you =)

Good luck!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    ....seriously I look like someone have an epiletic fit.

do you really think that was the right thing to say???
    use you brain a little!!
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    I've done Zumba about 6-8 times now, at the gym with other people. I burn close to 1000 cals (HRM) in the class and I can assure you I don't know the steps. I just do my best to keep up. And quite honestly, everyone is pretty much in the same boat as you, just trying to keep up.

I will say that the Zumba cardio workouts have been the key to my weight loss so far. You go, you give it your best shot, you sweat a ton, you eat right, you lose weight. Pretty simple.

Good luck to you.