Sugar Is Pain

Options
I've had a major revelation that is really helping me to eat better over the holidays! I was diagnosed
with IBS in college, and I've always thought that coffee and chocolate were the main culprits causing me abdominal pain. I stopped drinking coffee for nearly 20 years because of it. The chocolate wasn't quite as easy to give up! :tongue:

Recently my husband brought some coffee home and it smelled so good that I couldn't resist trying a cup. I've been drinking it every day since, for several days, sometimes two cups a day, and it hasn't bothered me at all. (In fact, I quite like the "buzz," LOL. :laugh: )

What do coffee and chocolate have in common? Sugar, of course! At least the way that I've always made coffee. Now that I'm on a no-sugar kick, I'm drinking the coffee unsweetened, and it has made all the difference. What a revelation that is helping to change my whole diet! It was the *sugar* that I *put in* the coffee!

I can't believe it took me 20 years to make this connection. But no one ever suggested it, and I thought that sugar was "just sweetener." I knew I always had more IBS problems around the holidays and when I ate a lot of "junk," but I still never guessed the real culprit.

I'm a little annoyed, actually, that so many people think sugar is "harmless in moderation," including doctors. Maybe for many people it is, but I keep thinking of how much pain and grief I could have saved myself had I known from the beginning. How many years I could have enjoyed of health and a positive relationship with food! But I'm also grateful that I am happily and successfully now eating a diet without sugar.

I hope everyone is making it through the holidays. This is the first time *ever* that I'm barely tempted by all the sweets. It helps that when I think of sugar, I now think if pain. :sick: :happy:

Replies

• cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I've had a major revelation that is really helping me to eat better over the holidays! I was diagnosed
    with IBS in college, and I've always thought that coffee and chocolate were the main culprits causing me abdominal pain. I stopped drinking coffee for nearly 20 years because of it. The chocolate wasn't quite as easy to give up! :tongue:

Recently my husband brought some coffee home and it smelled so good that I couldn't resist trying a cup. I've been drinking it every day since, for several days, sometimes two cups a day, and it hasn't bothered me at all. (In fact, I quite like the "buzz," LOL. :laugh: )

What do coffee and chocolate have in common? Sugar, of course! At least the way that I've always made coffee. Now that I'm on a no-sugar kick, I'm drinking the coffee unsweetened, and it has made all the difference. What a revelation that is helping to change my whole diet! It was the *sugar* that I *put in* the coffee!

I can't believe it took me 20 years to make this connection. But no one ever suggested it, and I thought that sugar was "just sweetener." I knew I always had more IBS problems around the holidays and when I ate a lot of "junk," but I still never guessed the real culprit.

I'm a little annoyed, actually, that so many people think sugar is "harmless in moderation," including doctors. Maybe for many people it is, but I keep thinking of how much pain and grief I could have saved myself had I known from the beginning. How many years I could have enjoyed of health and a positive relationship with food! But I'm also grateful that I am happily and successfully now eating a diet without sugar.

I hope everyone is making it through the holidays. This is the first time *ever* that I'm barely tempted by all the sweets. It helps that when I think of sugar, I now think if pain. :sick: :happy:
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    Sugar is the enemy! Sugar is like crack for me. Can never get enough and it's so hard to kick. I haven't felt well in three days and, coincidentally, haven't had any sugar in three days. Hmmm....
  • cherapple
    Options
    Sugar is the enemy! Sugar is like crack for me. Can never get enough and it's so hard to kick. I haven't felt well in three days and, coincidentally, haven't had any sugar in three days. Hmmm....

Definitely crack. :laugh: I can't touch the stuff without binging. I always immediately feel better when I go off it, but I hear some people have horrible withdrawal symptoms. I might have food cravings and ravenous hunger for a day or two, and then I can forget it -- until I think I'm safe to have "just a little" and throw myself into yet another binge! :sick: To be in such a state is emotionally painful, as well as physically painful, for me. I think I'm done with the stuff!

I hope you're feeling better. :heart:
  • tuxedo702
    Options

Definitely crack. :laugh: I can't touch the stuff without binging. I always immediately feel better when I go off it, but I hear some people have horrible withdrawal symptoms. I might have food cravings and ravenous hunger for a day or two, and then I can forget it -- until I think I'm safe to have "just a little" and throw myself into yet another binge! :sick: To be in such a state is emotionally painful, as well as physically painful, for me. I think I'm done with the stuff!

I hope you're feeling better. :heart:

I'm feeling a lot better (day 4 of no sugar) and I still bet it was the sugar withdrawal. Just shows what an addictive substance it is.
  • cherapple
    Options
    Debbie,

Have you seen our Clean Eating Club threads? It's the perfect diet for getting rid of sugar! It teaches you how to eat only (or mostly) whole, unprocessed foods. I'm loving it and not feeling deprived at all.
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    Debbie,

Have you seen our Clean Eating Club threads? It's the perfect diet for getting rid of sugar! It teaches you how to eat only (or mostly) whole, unprocessed foods. I'm loving it and not feeling deprived at all.

Yes, I've been reading them. Am a little intimidated by all the excercise to be honest. The food part I can handle I think. I'm going to keep reading them and maybe jump in when I feel more ready.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I'm feeling a lot better (day 4 of no sugar) and I still bet it was the sugar withdrawal. Just shows what an addictive substance it is.
    [/quote]
    no kidding about the addictive part!! I have noticed that when ever i save enough cals for my sugar i always want a sugery soda to wash it down... like right now eek!
  • cherapple
    Options
    Debbie,

Yes, I've been reading them. Am a little intimidated by all the excercise to be honest. The food part I can handle I think. I'm going to keep reading them and maybe jump in when I feel more ready.

Debbie,

You are more than welcome to join! There are no "rules" and we don't expect everyone to do exactly the same thing. The Eat Clean Diet is based on the diets of athletes, but anyone who eats that way is going to be healthier. It's no small feat to eat whole, unprocessed foods, and if you're already doing it then join us and we can cheer each other along. :happy:
  • cherapple
    Options
    no kidding about the addictive part!! I have noticed that when ever i save enough cals for my sugar i always want a sugery soda to wash it down... like right now eek!

It's tough! Have you tried sweetening with less refined sugars, like honey or maple syrup? They don't seem to have the same "crack" effect for me that sugar has. I can eat a little and be satisfied. Of course, you aren't going to find a soda made with those things -- I sometimes drink selzer with a few drops of Stevia in it. That satisfies my craving for soda.
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    Debbie,

Debbie,

You are more than welcome to join! There are no "rules" and we don't expect everyone to do exactly the same thing. The Eat Clean Diet is based on the diets of athletes, but anyone who eats that way is going to be healthier. It's no small feat to eat whole, unprocessed foods, and if you're already doing it then join us and we can cheer each other along. :happy:

Well then, maybe I will try it. I'm just starting on the clean eating - am a real junk food junkie. I'm also quite out of shape and I work full time and I'm over 50 so cannot begin to do the kind of excercising you ladies do but I'll do what works for me which is mainly walking. Thanks! :smile:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Well then, maybe I will try it. I'm just starting on the clean eating - am a real junk food junkie. I'm also quite out of shape and I work full time and I'm over 50 so cannot begin to do the kind of excercising you ladies do but I'll do what works for me which is mainly walking. Thanks! :smile:

I'm going to be 40 in a matter of days, so I'm getting up there myself. :laugh: I just refuse to age. :bigsmile: Walking is good - whatever gets the blood flowing. I think most of us started as junk food junkies, too, which is why we're so devoted to NOT being that way anymore, after suffering the health consequences. A simple interest in eating better is all you need, and it sounds like you're there.
  • chickadee10
    Options
    I thought this question might go under this subject: What is the nutrition content for kool aid (lemon lime)?
  • cherapple
    Options
    I thought this question might go under this subject: What is the nutrition content for kool aid (lemon lime)?

To find the nutrition content on a food, go to the food tab and click on Database. Koolaid has no nutrition content except for the empty calories in the sugar and a tiny bit (10% DV) of artificially added vitamin C.

I would definitely classify Koolaid as "sugar is pain." LOL :laugh: