icky question, chest strap HRM

Options
I have an f4t polar, how do you clean it, I've just been rincing it, can I add soap to it, my wk-out are real intense and it can be pretty icky, advice needed, sorry lost my manual. Also can I wet the entire thing or just the sides?

Replies

• sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    i would also like to know this....my HRM has been given me crazy weird heart rates and i heard if i wash it well it will help, but ive tried washing it with soap and it didnt help.....i do know that you can get the whole thing wet though!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I rinse mine with hot water after each work out.

You can put it in the washing maching (DO NOT PUT IN THE DRYER!) I put mine in the washing machine usually once per month.

You can also use a mild soap and wash by hand and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. When I read the directions for mine it said you could machine wash it!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Definitey wash it with soap and water. You can even throw it in the washing machine (but not the dryer) every week or two. If you don't wash it, the salt from your sweat will build up in the sensors and it won't work as well. Personally, I wash the sensor portions with soap and water after every workout, and try to throw the whole strap in the washer once every couple weeks.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    Every 5 wears you should pop it in a garment bag and put it through the wash on a warm cycle (I just pop it in with my towels). Never put it in the dryer, just let it drip dry. :)
  • sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    do you guys put the strap in a laundry bag to wash in the machine, or just throw it in the machine?
  • cardswimmom
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 that is water resistant up to 50m and I wear it to swim laps. When I use it to run or do out of the water cardio and it gets yucky I wash it with warm soapy water, sometimes I have to use a toothpick to clean out the grooves...disgusting but it works! You can check out the Polar website as well for further info!:happy:
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    thanks you, thank you and thank you for all your info on this
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    good to know!!!
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The FT4 is the soft wearlink strap - so this might help you - I posted this up a little while ago with all the ins & outs of taking care of the strap that I've learned.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322302-is-your-polar-wearlink-strap-giving-you-grief?hl=wearlink#posts-4297229

Cheers
    Woz
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    this is good stuff to know. just had to order a replacement strap since my stupid mutt decided to chew it up last night .... not happy about not being able to track my burns for the next few days !
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a opolar FT4 and they recomend washing after about 5 workouts. The best way I think would be hand washing. I just let it soak for a bit. Don't put in dryer though.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    I have the FT7, the manual suggests washing in the machine every 5 workouts, but I find that once every 2 weeks (10-12 workouts) is enough most of the time.

If you wash it in the machine - don't forget to remove the transmitter! Take it out before any fabric softener is added to the load, and don't run it through the dryer.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I wear mine into the shower and hang it to dry
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You can go to the Polar website to view the owner's manual: http://www.polar.fi/e_manuals/FT4/Polar_FT4_user_manual_English/Polar_FT4_user_manual_EN.pdf

The strap should be wet before each use, rinsed after each use and washed after every 5th use. I throw mine in the washer in a mesh bag with my bras every weekend. Just make sure you don't put it in the drier! I forgot once and it seems to be ok but I'm going to try not to make that mistake again!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    i would also like to know this....my HRM has been given me crazy weird heart rates and i heard if i wash it well it will help, but ive tried washing it with soap and it didnt help.....i do know that you can get the whole thing wet though!

What kind of HRM are you using?
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    thanks gang I got a greaty answer