What BMI are you looking for?

Options
Out of curiosity, what BMI are you looking for? I have no clue what would be best, mine at the moment is 23%

Healthy for my height is according to MFP (107 to 145lbs)

I'm at 133,8 now and probably looking to drop it to 125-130lbs, I wonder what my BMI will be then?

Replies

• aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    You can find out using the tools on here.
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was to get out of the obese range, then out of the overweight range. Now I guess as long as I'm fit & thin I don't mind the number too much-- well I hope it doesn't go to 18!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Plug in that weight to the BMI calculator. It will tell you.
  • sbeasty1
    Options
    i think as long as you don't go below 18 or above smething like 24 then you are ok. i used to be below 18 and was classed as underweight....not so much of a problem these days! :( I am now at 21 but want to stay around that to remain healthy. :)
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    See my signature.

I picked 22 because it was smack in the middle of the healthy range...I also started to get out of obese, then out of overweight. Now I am aiming at 22.

I used the calculator on here, under tools, but you can also google bmi for 'body mass index calculator'
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    For me, i was about 3 lbs away from entering the "Overweight" category on the scale and that was what made me get my butt in gear.
    I am at 22.6 right now (according to MFP's BMI chart) and would like to be right in the middle of the "Healthy" range, right around 22.0. Sooo... i'm almost there. just need to lose about 4 more lbs. From then on, its maintaining and building muscle. :smile:

You can always enter your goal weight to see what your BMI would be at that weight. Its really a touch and go thing. I try not to look at the numbers on the scales... i try to go by how I feel about my body. I may go to my goal weight of 128, or I may stop at 130. who knows.
  • tnorkus
    tnorkus Posts: 45
    Options
    according to the BMI calculator my ideal wieght would be less than 183 lbs- that is unrealistic for me.
    I havent been that light since I was in high school and I was actually in shape and pretty fit back then. I am shooting for overwieght and just out of the "Obese" category for now.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My BMI when I started was 27,1 and now I got where I wanted to be 21,1 and all thanks to MFP. I love it :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be right in the middle of the healthy range - got a way to go yet!
  • highgear
    highgear Posts: 30
    Options
    BMI is just a guideline, as people's bodies are different. I'm in the 7-8% body fat range but my BMI says I'm overweight. I will have to lose another 5 lbs just to get into the healthy range, which will put me at 4% body fat. It really stinks because my employer uses a point system to rank our risk factors and BMI counts for a large portion of those points. As of yet it does not affect our health insurance rates, but I see the day coming.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest weight, my bmi was 31, so just over obese. Now I'm 28.8. I'm just looking to get into a healthy range, then I'll take it from there :-)
    The weight ranges I would like, the BMI goes from 19.5 to 23 though.
  • saphire131313
    Options
    what an inspiration you are!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for a BMI of around 29...or borderline obese. I actually am in the high overweight category now...but need about ten pounds of muscle to look truly fit.

Seriously.

7434194_3410.jpg

That picture is me btw. As things stand I'm on the high overweight range at about 28 if I recall. The BMI chart is so useless for so many people. And the worst part is, by the time you've figured out that you're one of the ones it 'doesn't work' for...its already got you all screwed up.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Healthy/normal.
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what BMI are you looking for? I have no clue what would be best, mine at the moment is 23%

A healthy BMI for me is around 24 because I'm big boned according to the charts I've used. From memory a wrist measurement for females of >6.5 inches. You can google to determine that.

I'm not really aiming for a specific BMI because I believe it is a very flawed measure. Instead I have set a body fat % target that is in line with my age and sex.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    I would love to be say around 10-15% but at 5' 10 i think i would have to weigh about 115 lbs ....lol according to the BMI. right now at 196 I am considered over and it says I am 28 % ? not sure exactly what my BF% is since I have never had it checked. I just want to get buffed/ toned etc and be healthier
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I chose a BMI that is closer to the lower range for me, but I'm more concern about the % body fat.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I want to get into the 'normal' range for me. Seems a bit low to me, but I'll see what it looks like when I get there.
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options
    22-23. So I can weight anything between 8st 12 and 9st 4. I think thats a realistic goal and gives me a good range I can be in so I won't be too obsessed with the scales going up and down when I am maintaining.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    If you look at my BMI alone....I am still overweight. If you look at my avatar, I am hardly overweight!!!! So my goal is in fact a body fat % of 20%. and it means I have to go down to 115 lbs