Through the flu I made a strange discovery

Options
I had my gallbladder taken out 1.5 years ago, but lately have been having really bad stomach cramps after I eat. I don't feel like I eat an awful lot at one sitting, but something has definitely "not been sitting right".

This past Friday night, my daughter shared her "flu bug" with me which is basically puking for about 8-12 hours, followed by a fever and body aches for another 24-48. So I started the throwing up. Up comes dinner in round one...up comes lunch in round two...up came breakfast in round three - 18 hours after having eaten it. (I won't take you through the last three rounds, not nearly as dramatically exciting)

Is food really sitting in my stomach for that long not digested. Of course, what I had eaten was heavy with starch and grease (not my normal, but we were over someone else's house and at their dietary mercy).

Needless to say, I am having quite a hard time getting my appetite past anything other than rice with milk and crackers for the past two days. But how odd that my stomach didn't digest food from 18 hours earlier. That would explain why by the time I get to dinner most days, my stomach has been in pain after that meal. Definitely an inspiration to monitor more closely the nutritional value I put into my belly and not to fill it with junk that doesn't seem to process well. BTW, when I'm eating a salad or fruits and vegetables, i don't seem to have the problem. Just really on the processed foods and greases. So, if not for weight management, then definitely for my comfort level, I shall be rearranging my eating habits once again. Who knows, might lose a pound or two along the way.

Thanks for listening, have a great night.

Replies

• iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder taken out 1.5 years ago, but lately have been having really bad stomach cramps after I eat. I don't feel like I eat an awful lot at one sitting, but something has definitely "not been sitting right".

This past Friday night, my daughter shared her "flu bug" with me which is basically puking for about 8-12 hours, followed by a fever and body aches for another 24-48. So I started the throwing up. Up comes dinner in round one...up comes lunch in round two...up came breakfast in round three - 18 hours after having eaten it. (I won't take you through the last three rounds, not nearly as dramatically exciting)

Is food really sitting in my stomach for that long not digested. Of course, what I had eaten was heavy with starch and grease (not my normal, but we were over someone else's house and at their dietary mercy).

Needless to say, I am having quite a hard time getting my appetite past anything other than rice with milk and crackers for the past two days. But how odd that my stomach didn't digest food from 18 hours earlier. That would explain why by the time I get to dinner most days, my stomach has been in pain after that meal. Definitely an inspiration to monitor more closely the nutritional value I put into my belly and not to fill it with junk that doesn't seem to process well. BTW, when I'm eating a salad or fruits and vegetables, i don't seem to have the problem. Just really on the processed foods and greases. So, if not for weight management, then definitely for my comfort level, I shall be rearranging my eating habits once again. Who knows, might lose a pound or two along the way.

Thanks for listening, have a great night.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I don't know about food sitting in you for 18 hrs! If it is could something be wrong? or is that normal?

But I do know that as I've been eating healthier in the last few months I am less able to tolerate fried, greasy, to much sugar at one time, to much food at one time, anything processed.... I feel awful if I eat them, my stomach hurts. There are restaurants that I use to like to eat at that I just cannot go to any more. I am becoming a picky eater but in a good way!