Know of a good book on how the body works and nutrition?

Anybody know of a good book on basic nutrition, how the body works and converts things etc. I did human biology at school but that was a long time ago. I want to understand what happens to my body, what all the bits do and how they interact. I see so much advice on here about don't do this, only do that after you do the other and I want to know why. For example I know too much salt is bad but I want to understand why.

I find it a bit scary that by the age of 42 I know far more about technology than my body. I think that if I start to understand what happens inside me when I eat certain things or what happens if I get the balance wrong I probably will change my way I think about food.

I have been ok at cutting down but I still have too much cr*p in my diet and I want every bit of ammo to convince my self that eating healthily is the only choice and eating less cr*p is just a part of the picture.

Any/all suggestions very welcome.

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    I've read the book below and thought it was a lot of information and very eye-opening.

You On A Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

by Michael F. Roizen, MD and Mehmet C. Oz, M.D.

Yes that is THE DR OZ from the Oprah Winfrey shows who now has his own show.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Read the China Study by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. The best book on nutrition and your body that is out there, in my opinion!
  • Skinny *****. Im not sure it would work for you because you are a boy. But i didnt find that it was just for girls, the books goes into detail about which foods you should eat and which you should never even look at. Ive changed how i eat since reading this.

Good luck!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Skinny *****. Im not sure it would work for you because you are a boy. But i didnt find that it was just for girls, the books goes into detail about which foods you should eat and which you should never even look at. Ive changed how i eat since reading this.

Good luck!

They actually have a version of this book directed at men called "Skinny B@stard"....just as funny and good though!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I'm going to second the Dr. Oz book. It goes into great detail about the body, hormones that regulate hunger and satiety, digestion...they do give some suggestions on how to eat but it's not really a diet book per se. It should be exactly what you're looking for.