Breakfast 'recipe'

Options
MorticiaLovesGomez
MorticiaLovesGomez Posts: 25 Member
So I thought I would add in something I changed in my diet to help me along the way.
My biggest issue is making sure I get a balanced breakfast so that my blood sugar doesn't crash by midmorning or lunch, because when it crashes....it crashes hard and I end up with a nasty headache and a bad mood.
SO

I was doing two eggs, salad plate of hashbrowns, sausage or bacon. That was not great, as I started having issues with the potatoes (no wonder) and I was gaining weight.
So as the veggies came in in the garden, I decided to start tossing veggies in to the breakfast in the morning, reduce the potatoes to A potato, a small one at that and dice it up.
That seems to have gotten me onto a good path. The chick peas and veggies help get me off to a good start with protein and nutrients, the egg is just enough added protein that I'm feeling pretty good.
The goal I currently have is to reduce the meat and fat in my diet.

So what I've ended up with is:
1/2 cup zucchini (or other summer squash)
1 small potato diced
1/4 to 1/2 cup chick peas
1 - 2 small tomatoes (roma) diced
salt
olive oil
1 egg (pref free range)

In a small frying pan, non stick, add veggies and chick peas, a dash of salt, perhaps 1/4 tsp and 1 - 2 tsp olive oil.
Cover tightly. Steam, giving it an occasional shake to stir things up.
Steam 5-10 min check for tenderness. I like my veggies still somewhat crisp.
Toss that onto a plate.
Crack egg into pan. Cover. (I have a glass cover so I can watch the egg.)
Cook til set. This takes very few minutes, so if you have a steel cover, give it just a couple of minutes.

Add to veggies.
:)

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That sounds good--I never thought to add chickpeas.

I really do need to give dried beans another shot, because at the rate I go through canned, they just don't last long enough.