Stupid Scales!

Options
Well... it's official. I hate scales. When I left for school, my scale at home said I was 226.5. This morning I weighed myself at the rec here at school and it said I was 233. There is no way I could have gained almost 7 pounds in a week, when I have been under calories almost every day, worked out consistently and scrutinized over the dining hall menus over what I could eat. So I guess there's only three options:

1) My scale at home is off.
2) The scale at the rec is off
3) I really am a fat *kitten* who can't lose weight and instead gains seven pounds in a week.

I think it's most likely option one, because the scale at the rec is the kind you see at the doctor's offices. It could be option three though.

This is just so frustrating, I just want to curl back up into bed and forget about everything else today. Screw classes.

And I'd tell myself not to weigh myself for a while, but I'm part of the Harry Potter Weight Loss Challenge, and I have to (I also really want to be a part of that challenge, so I'm not dropping the group).

I've asked for my own scale for my birthday, so that I will have the same scale to weigh myself on each week. My brithday isn't until October though, so I still have to wait a month before I may or may not receive it.

I'm just so frustrated. I feel like I'm never going to break out of the 200's, or even the 220's.

Replies

• 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You sound as blunt as I do! Rest easy, you are not a fat *kitten*! The doctor office type scale is usually hideously off. I find anywhere between 6-10 lbs.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    One simple advice. Stick to one scale and only one scale.
    Weight floats for different reasons that together with the scale variations can be the reason you're seeing such a wide discrepancy. If you're doing the right things and logging everything correctly there's no reason to worry, just keep doing it and it will show soon.

All the best.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Always use the same scale!
  • AlissaPreuss
    Options
    were you wearing clothes when you weighed in at home? shoes? how about at the rec? Also if you weigh in before breakfast and then after breakfast you will see a weight difference.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yup, I had a set of scales at home that always made me about 7lbs heavier than the doctors scales. Don't forget, as long as that's what you weighed yourself on originally, you've still lost as much weight as you thought! And 20lbs is still great! You'll get there!
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Go buy your own scale! It is a tool that you need and It's your journey, don't depend on anyone.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Dont let things like that get to you, easier said than done i know.

Its a long, long journey and it will happen eventually as long as you stick to it.
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    You should have brought your scale with you! I find that all scales will give you a different reading. Guess it depends on the calibration. My favorite scale is the one that records the lowest weight! :-) I vote for option 2.....
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    scales are all calibrated differently. you gotta stick to one scale. if the one at your gym is the old school weights and balances scale like in a doctor's office, then it is the most accurate. I bought a new scale with more bells and whistles and it weighed me as two pounds heavier. I had to stick with the new scale, so I bit the bullet and started again 2 pounds heavier.

you're right, there is no way you gained 7 pounds in a week.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You sound as blunt as I do! Rest easy, you are not a fat *kitten*! The doctor office type scale is usually hideously off. I find anywhere between 6-10 lbs.

actually the dr. office scale is the most accurate scale you will find! sorry!
  • jomurphy07
    Options
    I feel so fed up cant seem to get motivated, ive put 15lbs on and its just not for coming off :(
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stick to the same scale, since the scale at home is the family scale, not mine. And I go to school seven hours away from home so I can't just go back home to use that one either.
  • TofuChick
    Options
    This is the very first time I've posted but I was encouraged by your frustration. Stay encouraged! I have been where you are. I once weighed 242. The 220s gave me the blues when I was trying to shake them. I never ever thought I'd break 200, because I couldn't shake 210 for the longest! That seemed such a far fetched dream. But I finally did and when I did, I was the smallest I had been in over 15 years. Then 198 came into my life. It seemed that nothing I did shook this number and I was frustrated beyond belief. I've finally stepped out of the 190s.
    What finally worked? Measuring EVERYTHING I ate to get the most accurate take on the amount of calories I was really consuming. I was eating healthy but still consuming more calories than I was burning. I also stopped working out like a mad woman and found the exercise that would be the most effective and motivating for me to stick with- the one that spoke most to my body.
    I definitely don't think it's option #3. And yes, I too, hate the doctor's office type of scale. My advice, if you have the money, buy the scale as an early gift to yourself: it's an investment. Also, perhaps it may be time to examine your methods to see if they will truly produce the results you want. If not, research and experiment with what fits you, your lifestyle and your body best.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Scales are indeed infuriating. And you will probably see another weight shift when you finally get your own. From my experience, even weighing with light-weight pjs on makes about a 5 pound difference. So if you were weighing with nothing on, first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything and now you're weighing fully clothed after breakfast - yes, you will see an increase.

Also, if you're working out more now that you're back at school, your muscles are going to hold on to water to help them heal - which will show as a weight gain temporarily. Make sure you're drinking lots of water to help flush the toxins from your system. It seems backwards, but drinking water really is necessary to help you lose weight.

Try to stay positive - what truly matters is how your clothes are fitting and how your body feels. The scales are just a tool to help you guage your progress. I'm so proud of you for sticking with it! :flowerforyou: