Reducing caloric intake during weight loss

Options
Currently I have my daily calorie goal set to 1500 per day, which should give an approximate 1.4lb/week loss. I have actually been losing about 1.8lb/week in the 2 weeks I've been using MFP. My question is, would it be better to:

A. Continue doing what's obviously working, eating 1500 calories until my loss slows significantly or stops, and then reduce calories.

or

B. Follow the MFP recommendation and reduce calories to 1450/day immediately?

I just feel like the 1500 cal/day is working really well for my body, and I'm reluctant to change that until the loss slows or stops.

Replies

• drivermarshy
    Options
    i was following what MFP said for me (1200 cals a day) but found this was a little unachievable so i manually upped it to 1400 cals a day and im still losing the same 1-2lb a week but feel so much fuller. id stick to what is working for you after all were all different x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to 1500, and then slowly increase as u get close to maintenance.
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    you're doing well so keep it there until you plateau. if it ain't broke don't fix it. lol
  • warriorsal
    warriorsal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism can obviously handle 1500 Cals so keep doing what you're doing. Good luck!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If 1500 cal/day is working for you I see no reason to reduce it.

My personal experience is that MFP set me at 1700 cal/day which I couldn't sustain (began to feel tired and such), so I upped it to 1900 cal/day and am still losing about a pound/week.

Remember that the numbers set by MFP are averages based on a statistic model - you may be at either end of the scale or somewhere in between, but it is highly unlikely that the number that fits YOU is the exact number that MFP calculates, but it's probably somewhere within +/-100-150 cal
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your opinions. I think my body is doing great at 1500/day and I really don't see a reason to change it right now. Once my loss plateaus or reduces to less than .5lb/week, I will reduce the calories.

Thanks!!!