Pills Pills Pills

Options
Does anyone else get frustrated with diet pills??

I work with a couple of people who use them. One coworker lost a ton of weight doing zumba and dieting (she says) but she also got her doc to prescribe her appetite supressing diet pills. She's kept it off, but admits that she goes back on them from time to time, and her eating habits are crazy (canned green beans and tuna anyone?). Another coworker yoyo's, using one diet pill or supplement, then dropping it and gaining the weight back, then trying another.

The sensible part of me KNOWS these are not normal healthy habits, or long term solutions. But I hate the glory they get when they lose 20 pounds over night! I just want to scream, no amount of zumba or baked chicken yields those results. Or maybe I am just a sour grape.....

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Green beans and tuna sounds lovely!

Diet pills, not so good.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options

Diet pills, not so good.

I was thinking the same thing.lol :smile:
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yes, they definitely frustrate me. I have used them before, but you don't keep the weight off. And not to mention, they are so bad for you. Look at the research, there are many people that die from them, and even more types of pills that get recalled. So, be happy with the choices you are making, and when you meet your goal you can know that it will stay off. :)
  • Leslie1221
    Options
    Diet pills are horrible. They are a temporary solution to a life long problem. We have to change the way we live. Proper eating and excercise may be slower but it is the HEALTHY way and we are more likely to keep the weight off. Not to mention the negative impact diet pills have on our hearts and alot of other vital organs. Don't be envious. KNOW you are doing it the right way. :smile:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You have to put in the time and effort for the weight loss to stick. These co-workers arent willing to put in the time and energy to have long lasting weight loss.

Diet pills arent the way to go...its a quick fix..but as we all know quick fixes dont work..its like plugging a hole in a tire..eventually you will have to get a new tire..
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    Same feeling as when people who started on MFP after you have lost almost double what you have and their diary shows they're just starving themselves... BUT IT WORKS. UGH. I know it's unhealthy and wrong, but it still bugs me.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    Diet pills are murder on your body. If I wanted to do that much damage to myself I'd just keep eating whatever I wanted.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options

Diet pills, not so good.

Canned green beans? Eww full of sodium... not lovely at all. Fresh, diff story! Frozen? Diff story!
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    I used to be one of those people who would try a bunch of diet pills, Ive probably tried 15 different kinds at least. The conclusion I got from all of them...they are TERRIBLE! In every way. They made me moodier, I would have way too much energy so my heart was beating out of my chest, then I wouldnt be able to sleep at all no matter how early in the morning I took them. Even though I hated the side effects I would keep going back to them and finally I have kicked that habit and never use them. I realized they are just incredibly unhealthy for you and will not lead to long term weight loss and will just end up being a total waste of money bc its just not worth it. Stay away from them and know you are being smarter than they are for doing it naturally.
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Taking diet pills and starving myself used to be the way I would TRY to lose weight. However, this time around i made a healthy decision not to any more! I didn’t even join a gym and managed to lose 107 pounds just by exercise and diet. This is a lifetime change therefore taking anything that I could be depended on is not healthy but ONLY a sure way to sabotage what you are trying to accomplish. So my advice DONT DO IT!!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    There is nothing good about any of those diet pills!! Most of the time the weight comes back, but even if it doesn't it's still an unhealthy way to loose weight. Some people just think there is a pill for everything!! Nothing can replace simple good old fashioned nutrition & exercise, & general healthy living. Who know's what health problems theese people will encounter in the future from filling their bodies with poison. Even if they're lucky & don't have any long term effects, they're probably dealing with embarrassing side effects right now like diareaha!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't really get frustrated with diet pills.. I get frustrated with the people who think they are a good idea.

No pill is ever going to replace diet and exercise... and no matter how hard you want to believe it, it just simply won't happen.

Keep eating that grilled chicken and exercising.. when they are on their 200th diet pill and your looking fab because you did it the right way, they'll realize what they need to do..
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    oh and I know someone who just spent the night in the hospital with elevated enzymes and heart palpation's from one phentermine! You never know if that could be you, hope you have insurance! or a will and testament.. Just saying
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I have co-workers on Phendimetrazine & they are dropping weight like crazy but once they stop they GAIN it back then go back & get more. On & Off just keep repeating the cycle.They pay atleast $150. for them a month. I did THINK about it cause I kept seeing the GOOD results & wanted that success too. But I mentioned it on here & my MFP's convinced me I could do it ALONE without them pills & it will be HEALTHIER for me & it will STAY off as long as I learn to eat correctly & exercise & that's the end result I'm looking for. I don't have the money to waste on them pills. Plus one girl got really sick from them she had bad headaches blury vision & felt dizzy alot. But whatever works for you YOU is what you got to do. Alot of inspiring stories on here keep me going. I focus on here than at work...LOL Good luck to you.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I dont do diet pills. I will say that I do drink a slim fast once in a while but only when I know the day is going to be crazy and I dint have time to eat. I feel like if I drink one of them instead that at least its not as bad as skipping the meal all together.
  • StellaBby10
    Options
    i used to take phentermine. theres no problem with it all it does is keeps your appetite suppressed so that its easier to transition from being used to eating a lot and eating unhealthy to eating healthy and eating smaller portions. its a short term pill (only like 1-2 months). certain pills like that i think are okay but the pills you take that CAUSE you to loose weight whether you diet or not are a big no-no i think...

it gives you energy thats why your supposed to take a health screen before u take them. didnt give me ANY probs!! (= like i said its a very short term type pill tho to help with transitioning. people who abuse it might get hurt!
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I always feel better though when they put it all back again and I'm the one friend who keeps it off. Slowly but surely :D
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    So, yeah, it's frustrating that people who lose weight rapidly get a lot of attention and praise. I just have to keep telling myself that I'm doing this to be healthy and have a healthy lifestyle for years to come. It's not about a competition or getting praise from people around you. Praise is nice, but you can't rely on people to always give it to you when you want/need it.
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Diet pills arent the way to go...its a quick fix..but as we all know quick fixes dont work..its like plugging a hole in a tire..eventually you will have to get a new tire..

Thank you for this!!!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I've tried pills before but its not magic. You still have to eat right and exercise. The weight will come back and some people double their weight. Take it slow and do the right things;